Maine State Police Whelen

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
So the past few years Iv been trying to replicate each bar from the maine state police. Finally after a lot of searching, elbow grease and time Iv got the first 2 style bars that MSP used, I just wanted to show these off, all work 100% I will be working on getting or replicating the later style bars now.

Whelen 32 or 3200 series I believe
00A54F8B-A0C1-4297-B4C7-1F9AB191DC29.jpegDD69C9DB-B280-4786-8AF6-BA8F3EBE377C.jpeg

Whelen 8000
41904E95-F1F2-45C6-90A9-2AAC4DFFD113.jpeg

Here are some photos of these types of bars mounted on cruisers.

D3D781EC-6CA7-4FE3-BB37-4659F4053821.jpeg
FC95D432-2A65-4E64-80E6-DD8F21C1EF27.jpeg

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
How are they powered? In other words are they self contained or is there a single power supply that drives all of the heads, so that they are in synch?
The cross bar has 2 dual head power supply’s in the base of each beacon that are powered separately.

The 8000 is set up pretty much the same

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
The cross bar has 2 dual head power supply’s in the base of each beacon that are powered separately.

The 8000 is set up pretty much the same
Love the 33xx! Thanks for sharing.

The comment left here by Mike indicates this is 3328 ( @Sarge619 is that you? )

Is it single flash or double flash?

Also, wondering if the electrical tape holding/sealing the head on the drivers side of the cruiser was a factory option :)

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
I love the 33xx bar configuration, as well as the bars that had the two beacons only. The directional strobes had to be pretty effective!

We had a bomb disposal unit back in the 80's that had an 8000 bar in all blue like this. It was the first time I had ever seen "cruise lights" which were really cool on that bar. The strobes themselves,,,,,, were OK. If someone could capture the sound of the strobe packs in operation and make a siren tone from it I would buy one in a heartbeat. Lone Wolf McQuade tone!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I don't know anything about sirens but this Whelen patent shows how one could wire a speaker into the power supply to produce a tone driven by the power supply.

From the patent, it looks the frequency supplied to the electromechanical noisemaker comes from the step-up transformer. Doesn't that frequency typically remain constant in a strobe power supply?

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
From the patent, it looks the frequency supplied to the electromechanical noisemaker comes from the step-up transformer. Doesn't that frequency typically remain constant in a strobe power supply?
No, I don't think so. My understanding is that, with each charging cycle, as the anode voltage on the primary capacitors increases, it takes less time to transfer energy from the transformer to the caps. Thus the frequency of oscillation of the inverter _increases_ and that singature tweet/whine/whirp we hear increases in pitch.

A speaker attached to the feedback coil (driving the switching transistor) should sound just like the signature sound of the power supply.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
No, I don't think so. My understanding is that, with each charging cycle, as the anode voltage on the primary capacitors increases, it takes less time to transfer energy from the transformer to the caps. Thus the frequency of oscillation of the inverter _increases_ and that singature tweet/whine/whirp we hear increases in pitch.

A speaker attached to the feedback coil (driving the switching transistor) should sound just like the signature sound of the power supply.

Now that you have explained it, this really sounds interesting!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Here's a quick down-and-dirty demo:

Also: correction: The tap for the speaker is attached to the high-side primary winding (+12V) feeding the switching transistor(s)..._not_ the feedback winding.

Whoa! I wonder why this was never brought to market.

These bars are very cool. As I recall, Tennessee State Police were early adopters of the 3200 style bar in the mid-late 70s…single flash synchronized alternating. I first encountered one on I-65 driving toward Nashville at night. We were in a curving stretch of road that was cut through the mountain and the flashes were lighting up the rocks. When we saw the trooper, I noticed how hard it was to determine where the car was. Obviously cruise lights solved that issue.

Reactions: RS485
Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
These bars are very cool. As I recall, Tennessee State Police were early adopters of the 3200 style bar in the mid-late 70s…single flash synchronized alternating. I first encountered one on I-65 driving toward Nashville at night. We were in a curving stretch of road that was cut through the mountain and the flashes were lighting up the rocks. When we saw the trooper, I noticed how hard it was to determine where the car was. Obviously cruise lights solved that issue.
This also has cruise lights

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.