Broken screw and broken tap/screw extractor

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Hi all,

So you are taking apart an old Aerodynic. Stuck bolts, penetrating oil, gentle taps, the works. Head snaps on you. Damn!
So you up the game and drill a bit into the bolt and in you go to insert Mr. Screw Extractor. Gentle you go, geeeentle, but hey! Now this guy breaks on you as well.
So you have a screw extractor stuck in a headless bolt, surrounded but so aluminum.

Tap/extractors are very hard metal, so good luck there.
I tried this kit of diamond burrs, bought at Lee Valley in Canada.

Keep it soaked in water for lubrification, but I was able quite easily to grind the tap away, exposing the bolt again. Then re-drill the bolt through (which I should have done in the first place), then re-tap and there you go.

The challenge is unless you have professional grade machinery, the drill bit won't keep on the broken tap/extractor, deviate in the aluminum, and destroy the alignment/hole.

Kit comes in a variety of shapes. I found the round tip better to get going, then cylindrical to finish off.

Hope this helps!

Antoine

Attachments

• 20221003_144018.jpg
    20221003_144018.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: ur20v

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
Professional equipment is not necessarily required! A couple of small c-clamps holding some bar stock with a guide hole is pretty easy to whip up. If you're working in a blind hole, I will use a drill bushing that fits snugly and use that to guide my new cobalt bit. A cheap flux MIG and various pieces of scrap copper plumbing for masking really come in handy for super-heating broken screws and small bolts without resorting to an open flame, and if necessary you can build up the weld enough to get your pliers on and twist out.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Professional equipment is not necessarily required! A couple of small c-clamps holding some bar stock with a guide hole is pretty easy to whip up. If you're working in a blind hole, I will use a drill bushing that fits snugly and use that to guide my new cobalt bit. A cheap flux MIG and various pieces of scrap copper plumbing for masking really come in handy for super-heating broken screws and small bolts without resorting to an open flame, and if necessary you can build up the weld enough to get your pliers on and twist out.

Would you care to demonstrate some of these techniques? A video showcasing your skill would be most beneficial!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.