Green LED Rotabeam 600

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If you check the Whelen website green is not a listed color for the rotabeam LED product line. So when I got my hands on two green LED/green lens rotabeam 600s I was surprised. I assume these were custom made for a DOT application at a state level somewhere. Anyone seen any rotabeam LEDs of any model in green before?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Yes sir, they're out there:

This video of Oak Brook Fire Department Squad 93 belongs to Larry Shapiro.
Nice. I know I have seen a video with a pair on a DOT truck too, but of course I cannot find it now. I know there was a command vehicle somewhat locally with the center of the freedom having a green rotabeam section but now I can't find that either. Between the DOT and "Chicago market" there has to be a batch of them made at least once a year or so. I was surprised to find these were just made, I figured they would have been from stock.

SWI712

Jan 14, 2020
Omaha, NE
John those green rotas are so cool. I would love to get some of those and put them in a Twinsonic or Visibar in place of the old rotary sealed beams. Very cool acquisition on those.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
John those green rotas are so cool. I would love to get some of those and put them in a Twinsonic or Visibar in place of the old rotary sealed beams. Very cool acquisition on those.
A visabar would be cool, but something with mirrors like the twinsonic would be cooler I think. I have wanted to make a 80h bar with rotabeam LEDs and par 46 LEDs for some time. It has just been cost prohibitive. I will probably do that eventually but I love the concept of these lights.

Reactions: SWI712

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
If you check the Whelen website green is not a listed color for the rotabeam LED product line. So when I got my hands on two green LED/green lens rotabeam 600s I was surprised. I assume these were custom made for a DOT application at a state level somewhere. Anyone seen any rotabeam LEDs of any model in green before?

CT DOT is using green and amber/yellow now...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
CT DOT is using green and amber/yellow now...
Ohio DOT has a combo using micro freedoms and 400 series lights where there is always amber displayed, half the time flashed with green the other half with white. It is honestly distracting, especially to the rear and in the snow/fog. The change was apparently made after an increase of snow plows being hit. I would say the problem was more the paint color of the trucks changing from bright yellow to white than the "only amber" lights (Ohio turnpike kept yellow trucks and all amber lights) . I would at the very least like to see white removed from the rear of the setup and have the ability to be disabled in fog. They do not however use the rotabeam, but they do use custom split 400 heads that are split with amber/green and amber/white in configurations also not shown on the Whelen site.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
You get these on Ebay John? I think I sold them to you..
Maybe? I actually was out of town and my wife asked if green rotabeams were something I was looking for. I said "I am now". I assume it was ebay since she doesn't usually browse facebook or craigslist. They counted as a birthday present. Where did you get them? I tried to get a pair from one of the ambulance / firetruck rebuilders i sometimes go to but they were destined for a "Chicago looking" truck.

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
Maybe? I actually was out of town and my wife asked if green rotabeams were something I was looking for. I said "I am now". I assume it was ebay since she doesn't usually browse facebook or craigslist. They counted as a birthday present. Where did you get them? I tried to get a pair from one of the ambulance / firetruck rebuilders i sometimes go to but they were destined for a "Chicago looking" truck.
Yes it was me. I remember the buyer was a woman. Thought it was odd. LOL enjoy buddy...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Yes it was me. I remember the buyer was a woman. Thought it was odd. LOL enjoy buddy...
That's funny. I rarely get presents I actually would have bought myself.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.