Help IDing these lights

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
I have a few of these "No-Name" lights and was hoping someone recognizes them. Some are Red and some are Blue. They look to have a built in flasher but I can't seem to get them to do anything except steady burn. I would appreciate any help y'all can give me.

IMG_20221016_073104018.jpgIMG_20221016_073117670.jpgIMG_20221016_073140535.jpgIMG_20221016_073156518.jpgIMG_20221016_073231479.jpgIMG_20221016_073250000.jpg

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
Even with all the circuitry some are steady-burn from the factory, and depending on their original intended purpose, some are "slave" units that must be connected to their master which handles all the flash pattern stuff.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Even with all the circuitry some are steady-burn from the factory, and depending on their original intended purpose, some are "slave" units that must be connected to their master which handles all the flash pattern stuff.

I hate to say thins, but the line between "Chinese knockoffs" and Code 3 is pretty blurred. I'm not convinced you have much difference anymore in the areas where knockoffs suffer such as wire quality, heat fins, components and assembly quality.

Code 3 LED bars used a variety of systems. 2 heads in a pair with one steady burn/slave and one control, all steady burn units with an external control, or all self-contained heads flashing on their own. Code 3 was/is in a perpetual game of catch up with LEDs so it is hard to say what you might run into with them. Also since Code 3 LEDs are often just better quality-ish foreign made LEDs they look a lot like some "no name" lights. It is pretty easy to be fooled into thinking something is a generation of a Code 3 LEDs you haven't seen when really it's a knockoff.

In this case the "LED X" doesn't look quite right to me and the connectors don't either. Also Code 3 rarely put colored dots on their modules (they usually wrote out "red" or "blue") whereas many knockoffs did. I'm not saying 100% these are not Code 3, but I am pretty sure they aren't.

The "boxes" around the heads and the connectors look wrong for Code 3 to me. Also Code 3 LED X units usually say "Code 3" on the lens.

Here is what I am used to LED X units in lightbars looking like:

c3ornot2.JPG
c3ornot1.JPG
s-l300.jpg

Further, the LED lens portion of the "LEDX-like" one isn't right either, it's too "deep", spacing in the middle of the 4 LED groups is too small, and optics are off a bit (from both generations of LEDX).
not.jpg

These are both (the two original lights pictured) "knockoffs" IMHO.

Reactions: Abacus

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Thanks guys. I kinda figured they were "knockoffs"
I took the "Double" light head apart and found "rontan emf-173-00-rev.0 led 2x4 luxeon" on the board so that might be a clue. I found a page on the book of face and messaged them the pics to see if they could ID them as theirs. I'll post an update if I get one.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It appears you have modules from a winglux bar by Rotan, now defunct.

Here the modules are in the "WingLux bar"
05313c3a509595573608ce98f11770dd.jpg

lux.JPG

Here is a video of the winglux

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Yep, those sure look like Rontan lightheads. The Winglux series of bars utilized just about every style of lighthead they had during it's various iterations. They will only steady burn without being connected in the bar itself

Reactions: Shadow-D

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
I'll assume that there's no way I'll be able to find the control units here in the US. Were they that bad that I most likely won't find them anywhere else?

Thanks for the info guys!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'll assume that there's no way I'll be able to find the control units here in the US. Were they that bad that I most likely won't find them anywhere else?

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm pretty sure you can just use a regular flasher since they are 12vdc steady burn.

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
I'm pretty sure you can just use a regular flasher since they are 12vdc steady burn.
I kinda figured I could use a flasher but I was hoping I might be able to use a "factory" flasher for them but I guess it's not that big of a deal. Any guesses what these would be worth? I have a few that are brand new still wrapped in their original plastic.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I kinda figured I could use a flasher but I was hoping I might be able to use a "factory" flasher for them but I guess it's not that big of a deal. Any guesses what these would be worth? I have a few that are brand new still wrapped in their original plastic.
They aren't bad heads but aren't water proof so maybe $25 each to someone building a bar?

Reactions: Shadow-D

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Member @894 used to be a distributor for Rontan and I think he still has quite a few items. It wouldn't hurt to reach out to him.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.