Code 3 PSE 322XH beacon

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
Don't seem to come across a lot of these and this one is in fantastic shape. I was surprised with how large it is.

I was going to buy that and when I went back to the app to pay for it, it was gone! Glad you got, though. I've never seen one like it before, a Code 3 dual reflector beacon.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I was going to buy that and when I went back to the app to pay for it, it was gone! Glad you got, though. I've never seen one like it before, a Code 3 dual reflector beacon.
They're uncommon! I attached a PDF that has a little info about them

Attachments

• beacons.pdf
    59.8 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: ur20v
Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
I have one with the dual mini rotators in it

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have one that I thought was cool because it is essentially replacing sealed beams with reflectors. It reminded me of when the XL9000 became the XL5000 changing from sealed beams to halogen rotating reflectors. I thought it was odd enough to grab one. I thought it went well with my Federal Signal model 100 with a "vector style" suspended bulb and stepper motor. They took the vector tech and replaced the model 100 guts.

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
I have several variations of the 550, ranging from the sealed beam version to the aluminum reflector version to the chrome plated plastic reflector version. And of course several DashLasers, oh and a Premier Hazard GyroLaser.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Code 3 was at their best when they were building rotator products. Their strobes and later LEDs just don't live up to the reputation they built with rotating products. That said, I like code 3 rotator products so much my "Whelen" collection has a bunch of Code 3 rotating/halogen stuff mixed in. These beacons were one of the last code 3 rotating products that I found interesting.

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
I have one that I thought was cool because it is essentially replacing sealed beams with reflectors. It reminded me of when the XL9000 became the XL5000 changing from sealed beams to halogen rotating reflectors. I thought it was odd enough to grab one. I thought it went well with my Federal Signal model 100 with a "vector style" suspended bulb and stepper motor. They took the vector tech and replaced the model 100 guts.

Holy smokes that’s fast.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Holy smokes that’s fast.
Yeah, target tech (amber fed sig) was trying to find an innovative way to use the vision rotators (scaled up). I theorized that initially it was meant to be able to have the speed controlled because the bulb and motor are very separate circuits, but I see no evidence in any catalog of a speed controller to do that. You seem to be stuck with the 125 flash per minute (over 2 per second) setting. Here is the the mid 1990s catalog page.

PXL_20221002_012839978.MP.jpg

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
So I have two of these, the red one is the same style as the OP's beacon, with a 96 date of manufacture with bayonet lamp fixtures. I have 795x bulbs in it currently. The yellow has a single reflector with an H3 bulb, 2003 date of manufacture. Both lights have metal reflectors. I guess I need a third one to put the blue dome on. Both are magnetic mount lights.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_20221024_140712359.jpg
    IMG_20221024_140712359.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 12

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
So I have two of these, the red one is the same style as the OP's beacon, with a 96 date of manufacture with bayonet lamp fixtures. I have 795x bulbs in it currently. The yellow has a single reflector with an H3 bulb, 2003 date of manufacture. Both lights have metal reflectors. I guess I need a third one to put the blue dome on. Both are magnetic mount lights.

Chris
Yeah you need a two separate rotator design blue one to round things out.

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia

Chris

Don't bother trying to find the third one; just sell those two and the blue dome to me and simplify your life!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.