Spotlight choice?

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
I work for a very very small police department, our entire fleet is two- 2009 Impalas (one marked, one unmarked) that are dying and finally getting set to be replaced. The chief went basic, and I mean basic back in 2009- 4 LED hideaways for warning, no illumination of any type. Anyways we’re finally getting towards ordering a brand new Tahoe, which will be a slick top. If you had a choice of spotlight, would you go with a Unity LED pillar, LED GoLight on the roof, or a Whelen Arges? I only have experience with Halogen Pillar spotlights from 20 years ago and wanted to see everyone’s thoughts on those 3 choices… thanks in advance!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I would go with the standard Unity LED on the pillar. The remote controlled options are good at what they do, but impractical from a patrol standpoint. An officer can quickly and accurately get the Unity on and pointed to where they need it without looking down for a controller and then trying to get it in the right spot with the terrible controls. We have Unitys on 3 of our squads and the Arges on our newest. The squad we just ordered we are going back to the Unity because of how big of a PITA the Arges is for patrol use.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Ive installed a few Arges’ (Argi?). I agree with what was said above. For usability, the Unity LED is way more dependable and user friendly. I only choose Arges when the vehicle didn’t come with a pillar light, as drilling pillars isn’t easy, and if not done properly can “technically” total out a vehicle, because the pillar integrity is crucial to crash protection. The Arges is pretty cool when you have it set up with Core though, you can program in many set positions, and just hit a button, or a certain scenario and have it automatically be on and pointed where you want it.

Reactions: tsquale and LED

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.