Edge 9000 for 175.00?

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I found a locally selling edge 9000 with a control box, fully working and complete for 175.00 OBO.

This is all blue, amber flashers and from zooming in on the pictures, just typical scratches and smudges, doesn't look crazed or terribly beat up. Bar looks straight.

She says it works well, she went with inside lights for her new truck and doesn't want the big bar on top anymore. Should I go for it? It's not really a bar that makes me drool, but it seems neat and most I see have one in a collection. It also has a federal signal control box

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221115-180749.png
    Screenshot_20221115-180749.png
    506.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20221115-180812.png
    Screenshot_20221115-180812.png
    435.5 KB · Views: 32

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
For the record, I think this lightbar is special because the "PCDS-9" controller is a dead giveaway that its a two-wire control "Diagnostix" lightbar.

This was Whelen's first cut at "intelligent" lightbar control (before B-LINK).

Generally, you can get the lightbar but finding the matching controller is a nightmare and every few months, someone chimes in on ELB and describes this lightbar and the fact that they can't get it working (because they didn't get the matching controller) -- in this case, you have both.

Here's a thread where we ELBers cracked how to make these beauties work:

My $0.02

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
For the record, I think this lightbar is special because the "PCDS-9" controller is a dead giveaway that its a two-wire control "Diagnostix" lightbar.

This was Whelen's first cut at "intelligent" lightbar control (before B-LINK).

Generally, you can get the lightbar but finding the matching controller is a nightmare and every few months, someone chimes in on ELB and describes this lightbar and the fact that they can't get it working (because they didn't get the matching controller) -- in this case, you have both.

Here's a thread where we ELBers cracked how to make these beauties work:

IjMy $0.02
I sent a message of when I can pick it up. Usually when I get on the trail of something cool like this, I always have it slip between my fingers. It's 2 and a half hours away, but seems to be worth it

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Just make sure the controller does in fact run the bar. As stated the serial bars were controller specific and not reprogrammable.

Reactions: Eric2.0

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Just make sure the controller does in fact run the bar. As stated the serial bars were controller specific and not reprogrammable.
Would that controller run a normal bar? She says it all works, I assume that controller is running that bar. I don't know why they would sell it with a controller that doesn't work with the bar. I hope so...I'm drive ng three hours for it one way. This is my craziest light bar purchase yet. Sometimes I don't know about myself, lol

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
She told me it all works fine and that is the controller she used. So it has to be a diagnostic bar? Research said all of those bars were sold with that specific controller. Also I found a YouTube video of a guy giving ng a demo of a diagnostic edge 9000 and the colors and configuration are exactly the same as the one I'm looking at right down to the amber flashers in the back. I'm thinking this is a Vermont state police bar, because where I'm going is right on the Vermont border to get it. This person I'm getting it from may be a cop. I told her I collect old emergency stuff. I believe this was on her POV

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Would that controller run a normal bar? She says it all works, I assume that controller is running that bar. I don't know why they would sell it with a controller that doesn't work with the bar. I hope so...I'm drive ng three hours for it one way. This is my craziest light bar purchase yet. Sometimes I don't know about myself, lol
Here's a post from @shues containing a link to the PCDS-9 install manual. It contains details (and limitations) regarding what you can control beyond the intended lightbar.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Here's a post from @shues containing a link to the PCDS-9 install manual. It contains details (and limitations) regarding what you can control beyond the intended lightbar.

I'll have to drive three hours to get this and in snow flurries today.... Is this really something worth getting, being a light bar enthusiast?. It really sounds like a pain with priority electronics and what not. This won't be going on any vehicle, but still.

I inspected the picture of the controller close up and noticed one of the face plate bolts is missing in the corner of the box. This tells me someone had it apart, perhaps to change things to make it work....or simply replacing a fuse? It looks like a lot of wires on the bar, like a total mess.... I am nervous that this may just be a cobbed up edge 9000 that has crappy wiring done to it. It looks nice and I thinknit looks in great shape, but if this is just a normal edge 9000, I would probably pass on it, due to the long drive and weather conditions. Perhaps I should go another day and see if she would be nice enough to give me pics of the wiring coming out of it and the manufacturer tags on the underneath, so I can see if the numbers say it is an actual date agnostic bar or whatever.

But my crazy self just wants to go for it and take a chance.... car se I have the day off from work and I don't want to waste my weekend driving all day to get it

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Yeah, you should be able to get some real clear pics of everything involved so you don't have to take such a chance. You should know exactly what you're getting if if it isn't exactly what you want, don't waste time on it.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Yeah, you should be able to get some real clear pics of everything involved so you don't have to take such a chance. You should know exactly what you're getting if if it isn't exactly what you want, don't waste time on it.
I'm going to pass on this one, due to the travel to get it and the weather right now. It looks like the only difference is this one does a little self check and lights up a button to tell you there is a blown strobe. That isn't a big deal for me.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Edit: I asked for pictures of the bottom tag that says the model and series of it and a picture of the wires coming out of the bottom, to make certain this is a real serial bar, diagnostix and such. I'm being very crazy in driving all that way for a light bar, but if it's something really cool like you all day, plus I do kinda like how it looks, it would be worth it to me.

If its a normal version, I'd probably pass, because I do see these pop up a lot closer to me, but not this version.

Sorry I'm all over the place with this.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If it works, and the controller is setup so that all functions work then it is worth it IMHO. But you need proof of it working 100% before making any investment of time or money. How you prove that is up to you, but if the controller and bar don't work together they are paper weights. I am not familiar with that setup and there is a label missing. Maybe ask what the unlabeled button does. Depending on that you might get an idea if it's legit. If the answer is "nothing" then pass, they are mismatched.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
If it works, and the controller is setup so that all functions work then it is worth it IMHO. But you need proof of it working 100% before making any investment of time or money. How you prove that is up to you, but if the controller and bar don't work together they are paper weights. I am not familiar with that setup and there is a label missing. Maybe ask what the unlabeled button does. Depending on that you might get an idea if it's legit. If the answer is "nothing" then pass, they are mismatched.
I'm assuming the missing label is the rear flashers.
No way is she going to be able to give me a demo on how it works, she doesn't even know how to accept payment through Paypal. I believe someone probably half assed installed it for her one day and she probably only ever used one button to turn on the strobes on and off.

Honestly I'm just not seeing the big deal about this bar. Whelen attempt at an intelligent bar, but really all it does is indicate if a bulb blows lol. Also it is crap if you don't have that particular programmed box. It looks nice though....looks to be in average shape, not new, but not all beat up and cracked

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I'm getting the heebee geebees about this one now. It's probably fine and works, but if I drive there three hours one way and find out it's a nightmare(rigged up normal bulbs in place of strobes, missing pieces inside, cobbed up wiring ect, I'll be disappointed. Plus if the box doesn't even work or blows shortly after I get it, the whole bar is junk unless I can find an exact replacement. No toggle switches or generic control boxes on this.

Regretfully I'm about to walk away from this. She hasn't even sent me the pics I need.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If this isn't something that is really your specific flavor of collectible, it's probably not worth the risk. For someone that collects, unusual, short-lived, and "innovative but not effective" Whelen products, I find these super interesting. If you are just a collector of lights in general, these probably aren't worth your trouble. At best you get a non-iconic version of a somewhat problematic and hard to repair bar. If this were one of the various state police agencies and had an option like a center, halogen, piercer, or other features that were only available through this system. It would be worth it. But just being a generic style bar that uses this control system doesn't make it incredibly appealing.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
If this isn't something that is really your specific flavor of collectible, it's probably not worth the risk. For someone that collects, unusual, short-lived, and "innovative but not effective" Whelen products, I find these super interesting. If you are just a collector of lights in general, these probably aren't worth your trouble. At best you get a non-iconic version of a somewhat problematic and hard to repair bar. If this were one of the various state police agencies and had an option like a center, halogen, piercer, or other features that were only available through this system. It would be worth it. But just being a generic style bar that uses this control system doesn't make it incredibly appealing.
I'm certain this is a Vermont state police bar, according to this video

The bar I'm after is located in Plattsburgh, ny and that is on the Vermont border, so I'm sure this is a real VSP bar. That video is a factor in making me want this thing,

She hasn't sent me the pictures of the serial number/model series tag on the bottom yet or the pictures of the wiring out the bottom. I need these soni can show you all and make sure this is a real diagnostix bar system. I'm also going to ask her the last time she has seen this work and if that is the control box they used on it. If all of this checks out, then I might take a chance.

I never had intensions of collecting light bars until a couple of years ago until I got my first one, the jetstrobe I found for sale in town. Thought it would be neat to have one on my truck. I soon discovered people almost give these things away, and I literally got three in my collection for free from a local F.D. My addiction escalated from there, lol I now have about 10 bars and no room for them.

I find myself lighting one of these up in the yard sometimes to just watch it, which most would see as strange, lmao. I guess it's a faint reminder of how awesome it was to have a toy firetruck when I was a child that had working emergency lights. Mom told me I used to stare at those lights endlessly. They all thought they had a policemen or firemen on their hands, both careers I really wanted to be in, but a giant sad story got in the way that ruined any chance of that for me.

Anyways....I'll probably take a chance if I can get the info I want, and it's a very low chance I'll go get this thing. I'd be a lot more enthusiastic if all the info checks out and this is a real diagnostic bar ...so I can show it off on here and brag I have one, LMAO

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I let it go. I told her just now that I don't want it. It was kinda embarrassing after all the interaction with her about getting it.

I got thinking if I really care about it being a bar that has some priority electronics to help self diagnose. It works like a normal edge, except it tells you if a bulb is blown plus you have to use that specific control unit. Being the age, there is a good chance that control unit is bad, or already bad then I would have to search for another at probably a ridiculous price. Nah it's not important to me, but I see why it is for people, like you said, that like one off, kinda stuff.

I think I will wait for a real nice edge 9000 that uses normal control heads, only if one drops into my lap. They aren't the most desirable for me, looks wise. I'm more into the rounded ones, jet series, AreoDynic s...that kind.

One lesson I did learn now, is, I better make sure any edge without a control box I find, is not the diagnostix version.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'm certain this is a Vermont state police bar, according to this video

The bar I'm after is located in Plattsburgh, ny and that is on the Vermont border, so I'm sure this is a real VSP bar. That video is a factor in making me want this thing,

She hasn't sent me the pictures of the serial number/model series tag on the bottom yet or the pictures of the wiring out the bottom. I need these soni can show you all and make sure this is a real diagnostix bar system. I'm also going to ask her the last time she has seen this work and if that is the control box they used on it. If all of this checks out, then I might take a chance.

I never had intensions of collecting light bars until a couple of years ago until I got my first one, the jetstrobe I found for sale in town. Thought it would be neat to have one on my truck. I soon discovered people almost give these things away, and I literally got three in my collection for free from a local F.D. My addiction escalated from there, lol I now have about 10 bars and no room for them.

I find myself lighting one of these up in the yard sometimes to just watch it, which most would see as strange, lmao. I guess it's a faint reminder of how awesome it was to have a toy firetruck when I was a child that had working emergency lights. Mom told me I used to stare at those lights endlessly. They all thought they had a policemen or firemen on their hands, both careers I really wanted to be in, but a giant sad story got in the way that ruined any chance of that for me.

Anyways....I'll probably take a chance if I can get the info I want, and it's a very low chance I'll go get this thing. I'd be a lot more enthusiastic if all the info checks out and this is a real diagnostic bar ...so I can show it off on here and brag I have one, LMAO
Hmm.. I guess I didn't recognize that. You seem correct.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.