A slightly different Streethawk?

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
I got this and two other Streethawks today, and this one caught my attention... In addition to the big ol' TCL in the center, I discovered the two forward-facing lower-level lights aren't flashers, but strobes. The J30 strobe power supply label under the blue dome and the high voltage warning on the other side caught me off guard. I don't think I've ever encountered a Streethawk in this configuration before.

20221122_230531.jpg
20221122_230551.jpg20221122_230622.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Before they offered cuda lower LEDs they offered lower level "Federal Signal quality" strobes as lower light options. They were significantly less effective and more expensive than regular flashers.... So very Federal Signal. They are a pretty rare option, so it's a cool find.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Those damn things were a pain in the ass :rolleyes:
They use a 2 wire system instead of the normal 3 wire system for the strobes.
The bulbs had electronics in the silicone of the base and were expensive.
The strobe bulbs had the same base as the 795/796 bulbs.
The J30 supply could be set to 1 or a pair of strobes by moving the jumper under
the black plastic cap on the box.

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Those damn things were a pain in the ass :rolleyes:
They use a 2 wire system instead of the normal 3 wire system for the strobes.
The bulbs had electronics in the silicone of the base and were expensive.
The strobe bulbs had the same base as the 795/796 bulbs.
The J30 supply could be set to 1 or a pair of strobes by moving the jumper under
the black plastic cap on the box.
patented in '84

Reactions: JohnMarcson

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
People think of the 3 wire system as standard but there were several different takes on the concept that never took hold. Federal had this 2 wire system, code 3 tried capacitors on the bulbs, and Weldon had a hybrid system while Whelen and Lectric Lites stuck with aviation style "standard" style. All three if the companies who tried the alternative designs ended the "strobe era" going back to the 3 wire style

Reactions: stansdds

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I have an all blue Streethawk with blue forward facing strobes. My department used them for two years before moving on to the MX. Maybe not the most effective but it was a cool looking bar for the time.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I have an all blue Streethawk with blue forward facing strobes. My department used them for two years before moving on to the MX. Maybe not the most effective but it was a cool looking bar for the time.
The Streethawk was a cool looking bar, it was also the first bar to feature two levels of warning lights, rotators/sweeps on the top level, stationary lights on the bottom level.

Reactions: ur20v and NVFD612

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.