Code 3 Force 4 XL

2ADAM46

May 30, 2010
Cut-n-Shoot
Hello, I acquired this lightbar with no Positive or Negative wires. It will have to power 4 rotators and two Par 36 Stingers.
What is the gauge size of wires I need? Thank you.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Hello, I acquired this lightbar with no Positive or Negative wires. It will have to power 4 rotators and two Par 36 Stingers.
What is the gauge size of wires I need? Thank you.
If you are doing one big power and ground my XL uses 10g I think. Stingers draw 4.5 amps for the bulb, each motor is about .5 amps in new condition, 1 amp used under load so each stinger is 6-7amps. Each rotators in a XL5000 is about 5 amps. So a safe total is 35 amps. So if we round up to 40 amps to be safe and assume you won't exceed 12 feet, 10awg is acceptable. You might be able to get away with 12 but I always over do it to be safe on older halogen bars where parts may be working inefficiently and causing increased draw.

gauag.JPG

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Thank you sir!
No problem. I would say smaller wire in accordance with the chart can be used internally, but the main two wires should be 10hg as noted. Now you could run one 10g ground to the fame and then run two 12g wires one for rotators and one for stingers to switch the independently. It's really up to you, but knowing that a stinger draw 7 amps and a rotator 5 amps the chart should have you covered for any wiring config you want. Enjoy the bar, they are fun.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.