Interesting Jetstream part that I have not seen before...

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
This is the first time I have seen a home sensor like this. It uses a rod to push 2 relay style contacts. I presume it is a magnetic coil to hold the rod during operation then release to locate home. Not one I have seen before. Feel free to share any info you have on it. Haven't taken it apart yet so these are the best photos I could get.20221104_191310.jpg20221104_191322.jpg

Reactions: NVFD612

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Over 20 years ago I got a lot of 5 jetsonics, all in various states of disrepair. I had planned to make 3 good bars out of them but realized that they were not all the same. They were all "smart rotators" but two of them used the design you just posted, the other three were the standard micro-switch style. When you helped me rewire my "multiplexed version" to run on 12vdc I actually had been expecting the mechanism to look like the one in this post. I wonder if this style was a later type near the end of the production run for the chain drive smart bars. Did this appear to be an obvious improvement in function, usable life or manufacturing simplicity in your opinion?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I accidently put Jetstream in the title when it should be Jetsonic. I looked ovet the bars I have and dug into this more.

This one is a JS1A series A1. I would think it is an early version because this seems like the least effective setup. I noticed 3 different sensor "gears" on some of my bars. This one has a ledge so the piston on the solinoid will stop the rotation. It has the motor brake components so not sure why it would need a physical lock. What I presume is the next evolution is a small half circle for the switch to locate home. The shape and small size appear to be more jarring on the switch. It has to move in and out pretty quick vs easing or ramping. The third is a bit wider so it is a bi smoother. I think they made one with a flat spot so it just glides in and out.
20221106_183637.jpg20221106_211712.jpg20221106_213635.jpg

I had to swap a couple of parts to get it running, including the motor. I started with individual component testing then basic assembly to get the whole system working. In the video I started by having the sensor back too far to make contact. This way I could see it functioning during testing. The rod in the solinoid does a few things. It acts as a physical stop for the home position at rest, tells the system where home is when you turn off the rotators and activates the lighting relays when activated. Seems much more complicated and potentially problematic for the whole system set up this way. I could see the appeal if a motor break was not incorporated into the system. This would stop the rotation instead of them coasting to a stop.

These are just my observations.

I did also notice this bar has aluminum baseplates vs plated steel like the Series A2 and A3 I have.

Hope this helps a bit @JohnMarcson let me know if you have any other questions.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I accidently put Jetstream in the title when it should be Jetsonic. I looked ovet the bars I have and dug into this more.

This one is a JS1A series A1. I would think it is an early version because this seems like the least effective setup. I noticed 3 different sensor "gears" on some of my bars. This one has a ledge so the piston on the solinoid will stop the rotation. It has the motor brake components so not sure why it would need a physical lock. What I presume is the next evolution is a small half circle for the switch to locate home. The shape and small size appear to be more jarring on the switch. It has to move in and out pretty quick vs easing or ramping. The third is a bit wider so it is a bi smoother. I think they made one with a flat spot so it just glides in and out.
View attachment 240465View attachment 240466View attachment 240467

I had to swap a couple of parts to get it running, including the motor. I started with individual component testing then basic assembly to get the whole system working. In the video I started by having the sensor back too far to make contact. This way I could see it functioning during testing. The rod in the solinoid does a few things. It acts as a physical stop for the home position at rest, tells the system where home is when you turn off the rotators and activates the lighting relays when activated. Seems much more complicated and potentially problematic for the whole system set up this way. I could see the appeal if a motor break was not incorporated into the system. This would stop the rotation instead of them coasting to a stop.

These are just my observations.

I did also notice this bar has aluminum baseplates vs plated steel like the Series A2 and A3 I have.

Hope this helps a bit @JohnMarcson let me know if you have any other questions.
Interesting. That certainly looks like any early attempt. It seems like they realized it was over kill and scaled it down to the necessary parts.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I was tinkering a bit more with this bar tonight and noticed it has a CP-25 speaker in it. I have to presume this is an early model Jetsonic.

When looking up the speaker I noticed it is a 58 watt. I only test speakers once a year so I guess it's good I have not gotten to it yet. Only have 100 watt sirens to test with.

Pretty sure this one is going up on the wall as a keeper. I ran out of space 3 lightbars ago. Had to get creative with the shelves/display but not totally happy with how it is. Oh well. I have been blessed to have so many bars I like so no complaining here!

Attachments

• 20221127_193437.jpg
    20221127_193437.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 4

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.