Gen 1 Whelen Commander Glass Internal Optics, possible Origin Story

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I sure miss him and his “laboratory”!!
He is alive and well, just stepped back. His epic collection is in storage (in an undisclosed location) while he moves.

Reactions: StEaLtH2

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
More pics from another ELBer with a similar 5000 (the flashtube looks like "70"):

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
More pics from another ELBer with a similar 5000 (the flashtube looks like "70"):

Nice find. That one has the label like mine but the internal base plate and rivet spacing suggest a mounted contained power supply beneath. Mine unfortunately did not come with a bulb, and the one in it is a replacement that I installed.

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
RS485 wanted to know about Whelen strobes prior to 1967.

I owned a plane which was built in 1958, and had a Whelen strobe on the tail, listed in the original equipment table as the plane was delivered.

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
RS485 wanted to know about Whelen strobes prior to 1967.

I owned a plane which was built in 1958, and had a Whelen strobe on the tail, listed in the original equipment table as the plane was delivered.
Actually, I have to slightly amend this.

I needed to replace the assembly in the mid-1990s, and the part number came back to a Whelen strobe. Anyone who knows anything about general aviation knows that you can't just swap original equipment to something else without approval (and appropriate paperwork), so even though the table didn't specify that it was a Whelen Model Whatever, since only that one unit had that part number, that's the only thing that was approved.

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Actually, I have to slightly amend this.

I needed to replace the assembly in the mid-1990s, and the part number came back to a Whelen strobe. Anyone who knows anything about general aviation knows that you can't just swap original equipment to something else without approval (and appropriate paperwork), so even though the table didn't specify that it was a Whelen Model Whatever, since only that one unit had that part number, that's the only thing that was approved.
If you still have it, I'd be happy to buy it off ya! but would be very disappointed to find it to contain parts made in 1967

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.