austinbroch2a.jpg

IMG_0027.jpgIMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0010.jpgIMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpgIMG_0013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Well, around here most of the Austin lights were amber, being used by Public Works or some of the paving contractors or TXDOT.  Now we're seeing blue/amber.
North Carolina authorizes amber/clear for public works and construction vehicles.  I'm starting to see construction vehicles here in Virginia switch from amber to amber/clear.  Blue is still reserved for law enforcement only.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Interesting that they would reserve blue just for l.e. only.  I guess you've seen my posts on other threads about that.  In Texas blue alone is not an emergency color but can be used as an auxiliary color with existing red, which is required. This applies to vollies as well.  A vollie friend of mine, now retired, had problems with Texas DPS pulling over his men, even during emergency runs, because they had blue in their light bars, etc.  I told him that blue was o.k. and not restricted and referred him to DPS Public Information, who told him the same thing in writing.  That quickly settled the matter and he made sure his men had copies of that letter with them in their povs. 

Reactions: kitn1mcc

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Virginia is, or at least was, a very conservative state and change happened slowly.  Amber is used as a caution light, for construction vehicles, tow vehicles, and highway vehicles.  It has only been in the past 5 years or so that clear combined with amber is acceptable.  Fire and EMS used to be red only, but in the mid-1980's clear combined with red became acceptable.  Police used to be red too, but that changed in the 1970's when blue was authorized for and reserved for law enforcement.

Reactions: Skip Goulet

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Virginia is, or at least was, a very conservative state and change happened slowly.  Amber is used as a caution light, for construction vehicles, tow vehicles, and highway vehicles.  It has only been in the past 5 years or so that clear combined with amber is acceptable.  Fire and EMS used to be red only, but in the mid-1980's clear combined with red became acceptable.  Police used to be red too, but that changed in the 1970's when blue was authorized for and reserved for law enforcement.
That blue issue has come up on another thread.  Another TX member is trying to say that blue is reserved for l.e. and EMS.  Not so, though.  As I said, my fire chief got it in writing from DPS Austin that blue is o.k. and that there are no restrictions.  Only restriction on blue is that by itself it's not an emergency color.  If you were running blue only on your POV,for example and ended up in an MVA, you could be held at fault.  With red/blue combination you'd be fine.

Texas now requires volunteers who respond to also have a working siren.  Texas used to allow "lights only" but that has changed in view of increasing POV accidents.  A friend of mine when I was in Lubbock and on a neighboring department ran only a red Kojak light on his POV. I kept cautioning about it and he just blew that off....that was until he ended up in an MVA and was cited for not having a working siren.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Licensing for a medical professional can be difficult when moving from one state to another, that's a big impedence to moving.  My mother wants us to move to the North Myrtle Beach, SC, area, where the economy is also booming.  Again, moving my license is difficult.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Licensing for a medical professional can be difficult when moving from one state to another, that's a big impedence to moving.  My mother wants us to move to the North Myrtle Beach, SC, area, where the economy is also booming.  Again, moving my license is difficult.
I understand the difficulty.  What field are you in?  If you're a medic or EMT, Texas does reprocity with almost all other states. You might want to check that out.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I understand the difficulty.  What field are you in?  If you're a medic or EMT, Texas does reprocity with almost all other states. You might want to check that out.
Dentistry.  Moving my license involves state boards of health and either taking board exams again, which is time consuming and expensive, or licensure by credentials, which is very expensive and the requirements vary wildly from state to state.  It is obvious that the boards intend for doctors to stay put once licensed.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Dentistry.  Moving my license involves state boards of health and either taking board exams again, which is time consuming and expensive, or licensure by credentials, which is very expensive and the requirements vary wildly from state to state.  It is obvious that the boards intend for doctors to stay put once licensed.
Wow! Didn't know you were a dentist!  I can see where that would be a problem.  So many of the people on here are EMTs and Medics: I never gave it a thought.  Is there that much difference in licensing from state to state to really discourage a move?  I'd hate for you to be down in the mouth over it. :D

Reactions: kitn1mcc

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Because I live in Virginia, I took the SRTA board exam.  States that accept and participate with the SRTA exam are Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentuky, Arkansas, Mississippi, and now South Carolina.  Most other states recognize this board exam, but require additional work and some even require additional examinations in order to move my license.

South Carolina... hmmmmm... mom has been after us to move there and SC has become a really business friendly state.

Reactions: Skip Goulet

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Because I live in Virginia, I took the SRTA board exam.  States that accept and participate with the SRTA exam are Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentuky, Arkansas, Mississippi, and now South Carolina.  Most other states recognize this board exam, but require additional work and some even require additional examinations in order to move my license.

South Carolina... hmmmmm... mom has been after us to move there and SC has become a really business friendly state.
Well, South Carolina would be a much closer move for you. Texas is really business-friendly right now, too, and with the oil boom going on, the money is here, too!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Is there anyway to get these photos to work again?
I have rescanned all of these I just don't have the space here to upload them. In fact I have scanned tens of thousands of pages of Whelen and Austin catalogs and literature now, I just need to get the site itself downsized and the storage to post the archive upsized.

Do you have a specific one you are looking for? I can upload a few as jpgs, it just takes a while.

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
I have rescanned all of these I just don't have the space here to upload them. In fact I have scanned tens of thousands of pages of Whelen and Austin catalogs and literature now, I just need to get the site itself downsized and the storage to post the archive upsized.

Do you have a specific one you are looking for? I can upload a few as jpgs, it just takes a while.
The strobe beacon style advantage bar I’m looking for

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.