'02 Ford Explorer

partss11

May 24, 2010
Arizona
This is my 2002 Ford Explorer used for EMS response. Package includes:

Front:

48" Code 3 Excalibur (replacing MX7000 in video)

2 Whelen TIR3's

2 Whelen Vertex in turn signals

Rear:

Whelen TIR6 slimlighter

Sound Off Flashback

ai567.photobucket.com_albums_ss116_partss11_th_SAM_1535.jpg

ai567.photobucket.com_albums_ss116_partss11_2011_07_15155420.jpg

ai567.photobucket.com_albums_ss116_partss11_2011_07_15155434.jpg

I had a few requests for pic's on how I installed the grille lights. The explorer has a nice plastic piece behind the grille meant to direct air into the engine compartment. A small hole and a few screws and you're in business.

ai567.photobucket.com_albums_ss116_partss11_2011_07_15153738.jpg

ai567.photobucket.com_albums_ss116_partss11_2011_07_15153833.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
looks good; simple but effective. what county in NY are u from?

partss11 said:
Changes coming soon! I travel out of state a lot so I think I'm going to remove the lightbar and go with something interior.

i personally like the mx7000, but sounds good and hopefull you'll get some better gas mileage ;) . i'd def add a headlight flasher and make sure to add some more side warning when u go ahead with the next phase.

partss11

May 24, 2010
Arizona
I'm from Oswego County in NY. I like how the MX7000 looks too but I'm not a fan of putting the out of service "bag" over the bar when I travel, which is 4-5 times a month. I will defiantly be adding some side warning and the like...I'm thinking federal firebeam and/or dual talon and two mini-phantoms in the rear side windows. As for the HLF, I have one but haven't had the chance to tinker with it yet. I have to admit I'm a little nervous about screwing with the headlights.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
partss11 said:
I'm from Oswego County in NY. I like how the MX7000 looks too but I'm not a fan of putting the out of service "bag" over the bar when I travel, which is 4-5 times a month. I will defiantly be adding some side warning and the like...I'm thinking federal firebeam and/or dual talon and two mini-phantoms in the rear side windows. As for the HLF, I have one but haven't had the chance to tinker with it yet. I have to admit I'm a little nervous about screwing with the headlights.
i had no idea that some bordering states would hassle u like that, esp. w/ a NY tag on ur POV and authorization to have RLS on your POV if they asked you for it (the only prob i would've seen would be if you were responding RLS thru their state to go to a call in NY, but not for just having a red lightbar on the roof that is not in use while driving thru their state).

Anways, back on topic, Have you thought about saving up for an LED bar so that you have have a lightbar that's all clear until you activate the lights on the bar (or perhaps using red filters and clear domes on ur current MX7000 to "stand out" a little less when in other states)? The dual talons are great for something up front IMO, but i really would go with something TIR over the miniphantoms b/c i don't think they'll do much for you in the rear side windows (some like the SOS xp63 or the axixtech micromax II deck version would be a lot less than slimlighters but still effective IMO). i also think that mirrorbeams or the SOS intersectors would go great with the dual talon

Mr911

Jun 2, 2010
Northeastern Pennsylvania
I too have a 2002 Ford Explorer...and currently use mini phantoms in the side windows for rear side warning. IMO they are very adequate through the factory tint. I am currently in the process of researching adding the SOS intersectors and that should just about cover my setup for now...I'll work on pics and try to get my install up on here soon.

partss11

May 24, 2010
Arizona
Sounds good Mr911. I used to use mini-phantoms on the rear headliner for rear warning, and I thought they did fine. I'd like to see how yours turns out.

And yes surrounding states can and will give you some trouble for having the lights. It was more of an issue when I used blue, because I travel to MA a lot and their law enforcement runs blue. I don't want to take any chances though. One person in my FD tried to get into Canada with a blue light on his truck... when he told them it was perm. mounted they came out with a sledge hammer and said "either you take it off or we take it off."

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Looks good. I don't know that many places would give you problems for having a red lightbar on your car. Blue is understandable, as you said, some states around there use blue for PD. But red almost always signifies Fire/EMS.

partss11

May 24, 2010
Arizona
Yeah here in NY blue is volunteer fire, green is EMS, and both are courtesy lights only. Red/white + siren are the general emergency vehicle colors used by fire, police, and EMS.

partss11

May 24, 2010
Arizona
CenTexPSE said:
That MX7000 looks familiar!

Haha yeah the guy who bought it let me borrow it for a bit. I believe it has sense been re-sold.

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
It looks like the one i had built for someone on here. I believe it has changed owners a couple of times!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.