05 Toyota 4Runner with SLR

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Ok guys, this is the current project. Its a 2005 Toyota 4 Runner. Vehicle will be used for fire/police and ems response in PA. Primary color is blue, no sirens. This  Build wont begin until begining of the new year, but this is what we have so far:

-Federal Signal SmartSiren Platinum 

-Federal Signal VisionSLR lightbar with 7 multicolor pods and clear lenses. (Full flood)

FRONT

-Feneix Cobra400 (BTDTDB)

-Feniex Cobra200 (BB)

-2 Feneix Apollo F6s (BW)

-Feniex Cannons (BA)

-2 PowerArc XM12s (BB)

REAR

-Feniex Cobra800 (BAB)

-2 Feniex T6s (BB)

-2 Feniex Cannons (BW)

SIDES

-4 Feneix T3s (B)

Still working out the final details but so far these are my thoughts.  All of the cobra heads on the truck will be "dummy" heads and will all be flashed off of the SmartSiren Platinum to allow for sync and adjustable flash rates based on mode selection (front Apollos, cannons, and T6s in Cobra 400) (rear LP T6s, cannons and blue ends of Cobra800). Front Apollos steady burn white and center TDs on Cobra400 go on with Takedowns. Front cannons are blue warning mode, amber turnsignal mode. Rear cannons flash blue, reverse white override 

The SLR bar will rotate all blue, blue/white and do full white flood. The bar will also do full amber mode. 

Like I said said, its a design-in-progress, but what do you guys thinkbthus far? 

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Nice job on the mock up..!!   Gonna be well lit.. That's for sure... 

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Me like.  Great 360 coverage. One adjustment....the hood scoop and grille lights might be a bit much.  Put the scoop lights on the dash or leave'em and maybe move the B/W grille bar down.  Great mock up though, I bet that SLR will look at home up there....still miss my old vector sometimes. 

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
The hood scoop is still up for debate. I dont think its necessary.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida

sounds like a good setup storm, but I think the front has too much going on (borderline hatzolah).  Definitely skip the hood skip lights.

As for the mirrors, I think that the apollos look a little bulky & kind of out of place when mounted as mirror beams.  Personally, I don't think there is any truly notable benefit in the front flood lighting output provided by the 2 F6s in steadyburn, so I would honestly just skip them and go with SOS intersectors beneath or surface mount something super thin along the lines of the brookings ST6 (even tho this seems to be a predominantly Feniex/FedSig build).

For the running boards, I'd like to see something linear.

As for the powerarcs, i LOVE their effect (when mixed with flashing lightheads) but I'm torn on how effective I think that they'll be down low by the front LP area (and it's off-axis output will be blocked significantly by the nerf-style grill guard)

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Great suggestions. I've forwarded them to the owner. Some new developments, looks like we may be going with a FedSig SignalMasterCN instead of the rear cobra.

What are your thoughts about F6s on the running boards and not on the mirrors? They could steady white when the doors are opened.

Also, im open to non-fedsig or Feneix lights. Anything i use will still sync because im going to use the internal flasher on the SmartSiren Platinum.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
You say the vehicle will be used in Pennsylvania... there's a thread about the state police cracking down on people breaking the stupid outdated laws, how do you think that'll play out here?

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Although it is a very nice build and someone must have a lot of money to throw around, this is the kind of vehicle that catches the Psp attention. Clear violations in so many ways especially for a blue lighter.

I say that with no disrespect to Storm.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
In response to the compliance questions...

There will be a "Compliance Mode" where a single push button will activate the lightbar in blue only, 360 mode. All of the white, amber and perimeter lights will be disabled. When he's in his local municipality, where officers tend to be less strict, he can use the other lights as he sees fit.

Keep in mind, using the SmartSiren Platinum, the possibilities as far as switching goes, are endless

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Also, the owner has been saving for this setup for 2 years. instead buying shit lights the first three times, he wants to do it right. Once. He also knows he'll put this bar on every POV he ever owns, and will probably take it to the grave. Lol. Imo, money well spent. Lol.

The bar for those wondering, tics in at just under $3500.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Ok, cleaned it up a bit.

Changed the bull bar to a brush guard, moving the powerarcs up. Omited the hood cowl and grill lights. Put Blue T6s on the sides of push bumper. Changed mirror beams to intersectors or cannons (or may be omitted all together) , changed the running board lights to BW Apollos. The rear Cobra800 was replaced with an all blue SignalMasterCN stick and the rear T6s on the plate were changed to amber.

Your thoughts?

aimages.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_12_01_38d54c87387bb3d883e3eb3261d7e910.jpg

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Also, the owner has been saving for this setup for 2 years. instead buying shit lights the first three times, he wants to do it right. Once. He also knows he'll put this bar on every POV he ever owns, and will probably take it to the grave. Lol. Imo, money well spent. Lol.

The bar for those wondering, tics in at just under $3500.

Sounds like the owner has been doing their homework...really good if they're paying for the install labor once not 3x, lol.  As for the latest rendition I'm really digging the front clip more in that config. Less going on and will look cleaner.  I think the Apollos on the boards and T6 out front will be plenty, so omit anything on the mirrors.  With the rear there is a much better amber to blue ratio than before. 

And I know I don't have to say this, but when this is done there better be video........... :D

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
How is this a current project if nothing has been installed on the vehicle yet?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
How is this a current project if nothing has been installed on the vehicle yet?
It's current for me. This is what I'm currently working on. Putting in final equipment order within the next week or so. Some things we already have, such as the SmartSiren and the powerarcs. Im looking for some final feedback before i set it in stone. I too thought there was too much going on initially, and got some good suggestions thus far.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Ok, cleaned it up a bit.

Changed the bull bar to a brush guard, moving the powerarcs up. Omited the hood cowl and grill lights. Put Blue T6s on the sides of push bumper. Changed mirror beams to intersectors or cannons (or may be omitted all together) , changed the running board lights to BW Apollos. The rear Cobra800 was replaced with an all blue SignalMasterCN stick and the rear T6s on the plate were changed to amber.

Your thoughts?

I like this better. I think the powerarcs on the grill will be mounted at a great height and do well.

How wide will the vertical members of the grill guard be?  If it's wide enough, I'd much rather see a horizontally-mounted Apollo on the sides of the PB than a vertically mounted T6 (you have NO idea how tired I am of seeing vertically-mounted linz6 on the front and sides of setinas across south Florida!!)

For the rear headliner, I would stick with the cobra...the TIR optics are really the best way to go with the rear headliner of the Toyota SUVs (and I personally would put a TIR3 dominator over a linz6 dominator there any day).

For the rear LP, as I would with any exterior surface mount lights, I would stick with linear and go with something more along the lines of the Impaxx6 duo color or Apollo duos (F12).  I would sync them to flash both blue then both amber.

Also, something to pitch to your friend... I BEG you to ask him to consider a valor or legacy for his POV instead of the SLR.  It's not just the fact that the SLR is insanely pricey, but I honestly just am NOT impressed with them at all & would much rather see something else there.  I know the valor is definitely an awkward looking lightbar (def an acquired taste) but it has superb warning output & flood output IMO), and the legacy is so sleek (that it can blend in on any POV) and bright 

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
-The 2 blue T6s we have already, I was just trying to stick them somewhere, and the sides of the PB seemed like the best option. T6s are probably the only light i would mount vertically as you dont lose too much. I agrree, anyone who's mounting a LINZ6 vertically has no idea what they're doing.

-the SignalMasterCN was picked over the cobra because of its ability to connect to the Convergence Network and utilize the internal SignalMaster and warn patterns from the SmartSiren Platinum. Also, Because we have the SSP2K and not the SSP3K, it wont accept the cobra stick as a dummy. In addition, we would lose 2 buttons on the SmartSiren by going with the cobra, because the SmartSiren has dedicated arrow and warn buttons that cant be reprogrammed. While i understand TIR optics are ideal through glass, i must remind you that a SignalMasterCN is isentially a one sided valor or integrity bar. It'll be plenty bright through that glass

-the reason i was thinking T6s on the rear LP is because im not really a fan of the Apollos, even the F12. Imo, the cobra series are 10 times better. I was thinking we had the off-axis covered with the SLR. But mounting Apollos here is definitely something ill mention.

-as far as the lightbar, this guy is dead set on the SLR. It's been his dream bar for years. (Mine too)

Thanks for the great suggestions as always, PDK9. I'll bring them all to him and see where we end up.

-

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
Just going by the rules of the page:

"Some key notes: To reiterate, this is NOT the area to ask for install help, install opinions, mounting questions, advice, etc. Only post installs/projects YOU have done, if someone else did the work, we have other sections for that (vehicle media section) . Lastly, please leave discussions about lighting color/legality out of the discussion, as we have a section for that as well . If there are any questions, feel free to ask a member of the staff and we will be more than glad to assist you."

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I don't think we need to be hassling Storm over the threads he posts in here since this will turn into a build thread. 

As for your plans, why not order the SLR with the integrated signal master? That would probably be cheaper than a stand alone signal master and it wouldn't have to deal with any tint on the rear glass. 

I'd say the whole package would be excellent with-

SLR with integrated signal master

Power arcs on the brush guard

T6s for intersection 

Intersectors on the mirrors

Cobra 200 in the rear third windows

T6 LP lights

Cannons in the rear

Reactions: Storm4200

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Just going by the rules of the page:"Some key notes: To reiterate, this is NOT the area to ask for install help, install opinions, mounting questions, advice, etc. Only post installs/projects YOU have done, if someone else did the work, we have other sections for that (vehicle media section) . Lastly, please leave discussions about lighting color/legality out of the discussion, as we have a section for that as well . If there are any questions, feel free to ask a member of the staff and we will be more than glad to assist you."
Yeah sorry about that. I wasn't sure where to post this, i fugured since this will eventually become a build, this was a good place to start. I promise it will become a build thread. And this is an install that i am doing.

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
The second design is much better/cleaner. The only thing I might change would be to get rid of the intersectors and add something to the rear side cargo windows. Either a T3 or T6 would be fine but something.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
I agree the setup is well thought out and should be effective.

However, the "compliance mode" has the potential to bite him in the butt. It indicates he knows the requirements under the lighting laws but has installed illegal lighting. Just some food for thought until such time as the law catches up with the 21st century...

Reactions: Tony P

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
I agree the setup is well thought out and should be effective.

However, the "compliance mode" has the potential to bite him in the butt. It indicates he knows the requirements under the lighting laws but has installed illegal lighting. Just some food for thought until such time as the law catches up with the 21st century...

I've thought of that too. I would use all dual color with white override for the perimeter lights. Run all of the blue lights in local municipality or anywhere where local cops don't care. If you come across something on a highway, use compliance mode, and if the trooper really wants to question the non-lit lights, demonstrate that they are "flood lights" for offroad use only. I know "alley lights" on a lightbar are illegal, but I'm almost sure that uncovered flood lights to the side are legal. They're only illegal if they're facing the front or back. Have the back ones tied into reverse lights, which isn't illegal (I've talked to a trooper about this one before). They just don't want you being able to blind tailgaters.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.