08 Charger unmarked/POV

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
cbpdogboy said:
What site did you get you side strip leds from? Are they similar to these?
SWFLS-x30-BK series Flexible Light Strip

I was thinking about these for sides and under the hatch on my Explorer.

Very close, but it looks like the ones I ordered have more led heads per section.

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
Videos are with my iPhone so they kinda suck

Short vid of just the blue backlighting on the grill.

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_th_VideoSep18193444.jpg

Front only with headlight flashers on

ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_th_VideoSep18193731.jpg

Walk around without headlights

]ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_th_VideoSep18193651.jpg

Also a pic of the rear rect14s on the rear seat headrests. (pic was hard to take and isnt the greatest)ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoSep14113940.jpg

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
dcsru said:
Also a pic of the rear rect14s on the rear seat headrests. (pic was hard to take and isnt the greatest)ai1178.photobucket.com_albums_x362_dempsteriv_PhotoSep14113940.jpg

Flash back is probably a killer... BUT THAT IS SICK!!! :hail: :thumbsup:

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
king of customization.

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
TritonBoulder47 said:
Flash back is probably a killer... BUT THAT IS SICK!!! :hail: :thumbsup:

I have never really had problems with flashback from the rear, (I work auto theft) and while chasing don't look back much. :D

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
Two friendly suggestions:

Get rid of the visorlight: it´s redundant with all the other front-lighting and visorlights give you dangerous amounts of flashback.

Set the offaxis lightheads in the rear to a solid pattern and not the current split: it will give your a more distingt attentiongrabbing pattern.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
Do you think your strip lights are that effective? How is the output in person? I know cameras don't show the true output of leds at times...

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
cbpdogboy said:
Do you think your strip lights are that effective? How is the output in person? I know cameras don't show the true output of leds at times...

I like them since I am a night worker and they are also not my only source of side warning. They are not so effective during the day but you CAN see them. I don't have a link (I emailed the factory direct). I will see if I can PM you with the email. They are kinda fun and low profile so I like them, but after being hit before in an intersection I think that the best place to have side lights is up front. (since by the time they see your doors their bumper is in your lap)

Two friendly suggestions:

Get rid of the visorlight: it´s redundant with all the other front-lighting and visorlights give you dangerous amounts of flashback.

Set the offaxis lightheads in the rear to a solid pattern and not the current split: it will give your a more distingt attentiongrabbing pattern.

I will try the pattern change on the rears, thx! Do you think its the pattern that is on the visor light or just dump it all together?

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
Visorlights are (in my honest opinion) only suitable as an emergency/reserve solution for unmarked cars without permanent installs. I have never seen a manufacturer market them as anything more either. The reason for this is the flashback, which can really impair the drivers view. However; if you do not experience the flashback is an issue in your car, then I´m not gonna tell you otherwise! That said, I do think it is redundant with all the other great lights you´ve got on there;-)

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I'd keep the visor light for the day time, but change the pattern.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Nice install. Very clever ideas. But I cant imagine these lights will be on his car very long. Virginia state code does NOT allow LEO's to put lights in their POV's. Which my guess is why he is hiding them so much. :nono:

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
dcsru said:
Yup, basically. We can use POV for duty related stuff like responding to/from court, etc. Plus we are considered "on duty" 24/7 while in the District and required by law to carry our gun and ID/Badge and by law to take enforcement action. "Failure to take police action" has a 2yr jail sentance!!

Since the Vertexs are so tight to the body they really reflect alot off the door, esp at night which is mostly when I am out and about.

^^^^^^^^^^ ummm I think he is ok.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
If I see a car with personalized Virginia tags on it with red/blue lights trying to stop me, Im not going to pull over. And I would be completely justified in doing it.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
twodogs603 said:
If I see a car with personalized Virginia tags on it with red/blue lights trying to stop me, Im not going to pull over. And I would be completely justified in doing it.

People always say stuff like that on here, but I guarantee nobody has the balls or feels it's worth the trouble to try and flex your muscles like that.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
twodogs603 said:

That's ok...when half a dozen marked units show up, you'll know it's real. But could you answer me this: How the hell are you going to see what kind of plates they are at night when all his lights are on?

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
BigWil said:
That's ok...when half a dozen marked units show up, you'll know it's real. But could you answer me this: How the hell are you going to see what kind of plates they are at night when all his lights are on?

Thats a good point, because there were a ton of lights on the car. And as I said in my 1st post, from an installation standpoint it looks good. Real good. But I have serious issues with what he has done-to his POV. Because as I said, its not legal in Virginia for a LEO to equip their POV like that. And any Virginia state inspection station that sees those lights and passes his car, is risking losing their inspection license.

dcsru

Mar 27, 2011
USA/VA
twodogs603 said:
Thats a good point, because there were a ton of lights on the car. And as I said in my 1st post, from an installation standpoint it looks good. Real good. But I have serious issues with what he has done-to his POV. Because as I said, its not legal in Virginia for a LEO to equip their POV like that. And any Virginia state inspection station that sees those lights and passes his car, is risking losing their inspection license.

I appreciate the info since I have heard several different things from Northern VA LEOs with Arlington, Fairfax and VSP.

The biggest and most relevant is that I do not run code in VA since I am working normally in DC (unless I am out assisting on task force stuff). And most of that is in DC/MD due to the heavy concentration of jackings and armed robbery cars along the PG County, MD and DC border. Several NVA traffic guys and auto theft folks have said that since the lenses are clear, not activated, and out of view (to normal people), then they (VA) see no issues.

The car is typically used stationary in the city (DC) for part time, etc. Almost every agency I have talked too allows their officers to use department cars for department authorized part time or of course thay have take home cars. DC has like 70 take homes for a 3800 man department. Even the bulk of ERT, K9, bomb, and Motor Officers all lost their take homes.

As for DC we have people who leased and own fully marked vehicles, including a full marked Harley. We also have a special order that covers the use and reimbursement of private vehicles while on duty.

I'm not sure about other agencies out there, but if you were to drive onto any of the MDPC parking lots at the Districts, you would see half the POVs with some form of lighting, and emergancy vehicle placards.

I have not encountered the inspection station issue yet (inspection is due next month). I don't want any favors and esp don't want them to get in jammed. If it can't pass then I will either have to remove and change the setup or more likely register the car in DC. (The EX wants the house anyway, lol)

TwoDogs,

thanks for the input because I am sure that out of all the LEOs I talk too on the street you guys here have a very specific knowledge set about lighting and related code that they may not!

LOL, and yes a quick key up on the radio and the marked units do show up quick :)

Nov 7, 2011
New England
1. Sorry, but this is worth resurrecting, and 2. I love the length you went to and the thought you put into every detail of this car. Coming from somebody who mostly does lo-pro installs and has the mindset " out of sight, out of mind".. this car is perfect!!! :hail:

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
jcpse said:
1. Sorry, but this is worth resurrecting, and 2. I love the length you went to and the thought you put into every detail of this car. Coming from somebody who mostly does lo-pro installs and has the mindset " out of sight, out of mind".. this car is perfect!!! :hail:

I agree...I love this car

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
etap said:
But am very curious as to whether OP passed inspection or not...

I'm curious too.

And etap, if you're wondering, NJ inspections at a DMV will not pass you without a up-to-date blue or red light permit. At least the inspection stations in Paramus and Lodi... but that may have changed now that they're only doing emissions.

aacosta367

Sep 18, 2012
North Jersery
New Jersey inspection only check emmission, registration, and insurance. but can get pull over and police officer ask for proper light permit under Title #39

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
aacosta367 said:
New Jersey inspection only check emmission, registration, and insurance. but can get pull over and police officer ask for proper light permit under Title #39

Ah, ok. They've changed it since I moved. Last time I had to get a NJ inspection I had to present a current permit. The station in Lodi actually tried to tell me that I needed to show them a permit before they would do the inspection on my agency's ambulance... WTF!

Vriez

Jan 6, 2012
Michigan
OP, if you want some nice 5 spoke stock hubcaps I'd be willing to trade +cash on my end for your "dog dish" caps...

Love the color ps

Eric223

Sep 23, 2011
USA NY/NJ/VA
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my unmarked SUV just went through VA state inspection without any question. The inspector didn't take a second glance at the multiple radios and lights (which aren't nearly as concealed as this charger).

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
I think it will keep being brought back to life. This was a different (in a great way) and very covert install. I've mentioned this car in a couple recent posts. Hope the OP gets brought back into the conversation!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.