1/4 Air Horn Solenoid Valve problem

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I have a brass 1/4 solenoid valve. It seems over time it has slowed in its closing of the valve. It used to stutter very well but now it’s ramping down and has a different sound. It is more or less fading out instead of turning off quickly. Has anyone experienced this before? Is there a way to clean the valve or should I just replace it?

Thanks

Attachments

• 090D302B-E524-4D83-82A5-2C079B9D984A.png
    090D302B-E524-4D83-82A5-2C079B9D984A.png
    388.1 KB · Views: 0

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Try cleaning it out. May be corroded due to moisture over time in the line. If so, replace. If not, a few drops of air tool oil might square it up.

Reactions: jmamrak

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Sparky911 is most probably right, but i would strongly advise replacing it. Better to replace it with a new one than get stuck in the middle of a response with an air horn that won't stop and is stealing away all of your air supply.

just my .02
Bob

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Sparky911 is most probably right, but i would strongly advise replacing it. Better to replace it with a new one than get stuck in the middle of a response with an air horn that won't stop and is stealing away all of your air supply.

just my .02
Bob

Replacing the solenoid is likely a wise idea. But in the meantime don't forget, modern air brake systems have a mechanical low pressure cutoff device known as an pressure protection valve. The auxiliary air system should stop receiving air if the system pressure falls below the pressure at which the pressure protection valve is designed to cut off, leaving sufficient air pressure to keep the spring brake disengaged and to allow normal use of the service brake.

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Replacing the solenoid is likely a wise idea. But in the meantime don't forget, modern air brake systems have a mechanical low pressure cutoff device known as an pressure protection valve. The auxiliary air system should stop receiving air if the system pressure falls below the pressure at which the pressure protection valve is designed to cut off, leaving sufficient air pressure to keep the spring brake disengaged and to allow normal use of the service brake.

i didn't kow that! thanks for the info

Bob

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL

Even I didn't know about the additional safety valve but then it has been a long time since I drove something with air brakes, usually if the pressure got too low the emergency brake would turn on.

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
Try cleaning it out. May be corroded due to moisture over time in the line. If so, replace. If not, a few drops of air tool oil might square it up.
Thanks for all the responses!
I did replace the valve and i bought a higher quality one. That did fix the issue. I am curious how to clean the old valve? I did take that nut off the solenoid but I didn’t see how the valve came apart... they looked to be two separate assemblies. Any thoughts?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
IF they hey are threaded together you should be able to separate. Will likely have to clamp the body in a vice and put some muscle behind it. That's a big if by the way.

If the noid and valve body are pressed together then all you can do is blow it out with air gun. You might be able to get a pipe cleaner or bore brush in there. Activate the solenoid with 12v and it might open enough to scrub/blow out. Squirt a few drops of tool oil (3in1 or gun oil works too) and cycle on the bench several times. Put it under air pressure and see if that solved the problem.

Or just toss it, lol. Less PITA. Ha ha.

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
IF they hey are threaded together you should be able to separate. Will likely have to clamp the body in a vice and put some muscle behind it. That's a big if by the way.

If the noid and valve body are pressed together then all you can do is blow it out with air gun. You might be able to get a pipe cleaner or bore brush in there. Activate the solenoid with 12v and it might open enough to scrub/blow out. Squirt a few drops of tool oil (3in1 or gun oil works too) and cycle on the bench several times. Put it under air pressure and see if that solved the problem.

Or just toss it, lol. Less PITA. Ha ha.
I did take it apart and clean it. I took a picture to show how it comes apart should anyone else need to. When the solenoid is turned off and the magnetic field collapses there is a spark of current released. What can you build into the circuit to protect your switch from that collapse? I can’t remember if it’s a diode or a capacitor or a resistor...

Attachments

• A4530113-8027-416C-A78C-65F8598D7C94.jpeg
    A4530113-8027-416C-A78C-65F8598D7C94.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 2

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.