'14 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Rubicon

jabbeaux

Jul 5, 2018
NY
Finally pleased to finish my 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JK). Lots of research,
helpful folks here, and a huge THANK YOU to @whatevah for his detailed and helpful advice...and my many 1am PMs.

Front: Feniex Fusion 800 dual color stick (B/W)
Front fender flares: 2 Feniex Fusion Surface Mount (B/W) w/ Feniex's Recessed Mount Brackets
Rear Window: Feniex Fusion 800 dual color stick (RB/A)
Rear Bumper: 2 Feniex Fusion Surface Mount (B/W) w/ Feniex's Recessed Mount Brackets
Controller: Feniex 4200DL

Install notes:
  • The "generic" Feniex brackets mount the 800 stick in the front windshield. I shortened the bracket and wire-wheeled the edges to get rid of rough spots, then drilled holes matching the Jeep's roof clip (aka "footman's loop").
  • Flashback on the front 800 is fairly bad at night. Black duct tape has fixed that, though I don't love the look from the exterior. May look at rubber door seal, or weather stripping, or foam board.
  • The controller is a Feniex 4200DL. It's mounted to a SUNPIE Jeep JK Overhead CB Mount ($18.99 here), which I bent down and cut off the extra metal, again wire-wheeling it to remove rough spots.
  • I drilled the 4200's U-shape mounting bracket to attach on the CB mount. The bracket firmly holds the controller, but the metal bends BADLY when you're working with it. I'd love to see Feniex improve this. I saw another member suggested a FedSig bracket...might try in the future. The 15ft cat5 cable was perfect length to reach the rear seat area where I have the brain and a fuse box.
  • My existing offroad lights (Rigid lightbar + cubes) would have required multiple outputs on the 4200 to spread the amperage load, so I used this $32 Blue Sea fuse box. The 4200 still controls the lights.
  • The recessed mount brackets came out nicely. I wish there was a cutting template. They are plastic vs the metal the fusion's ship with.
  • The rear 800 stick is mounted using screws 1/4" longer than supplied, and I drilled through the plastic cap and the metal bracket on the rear window. There's space above the glass but below the hinge. Notched the roof and ran wiring through the roof and out where the window heater/washer fluid exits, then below the carpet. It looks clean, the wire doesn't rub, and I don't have any leaks.
  • All the wiring terminates to either the Blue Sea fuse box and/or 4200 "brain" behind the rear seat. The 800 stick's 10ft wiring reached with maybe 2inches to spare. The front stick (following the window trim) stopped near the driver's seat. I extended this.
  • The rear FSM's are synced. Finding master/slave was harder than I thought as all or none LEDs turned on (I thought it was 6 vs 12?). But once set, connecting sync wires was easy.
  • The rear FSM's override to white when I trigger my reverse lights. Given the lackluster OEM reverse lights, it's a nice feature.
Were I to do it all over again, I wished I knew how much wiring I'd need and the cost. Inline fuses, the fuse box, multiconductor wiring, finding the best/cleanest install wiring path was time intensive! It was well worth it though. Programming the 4200 via computer was easy as pie. Feniex could write more detailed instruction manuals w/ better descriptions. They're nothing like Whelen's, if you're used to that level of detail.

Hope this writeup helps other guys/girls with Jeeps! For such a heavily modified offroad vehicle, I expected to find some Jeep-specific lighting mounts..and did not. Thankfully, fabricating your own (or modifying the generic ones) actually is do-able with some cutting/grinding/wire-wheeling and careful measuring...it actually looks clean!

-Matt

View from cockpit
IMG_1719.jpg
IMG_1707.jpg

CB Mount & the 4200DL
IMG_1708.jpg
IMG_1713.jpg

Generic 800 bracket cut and mounted to footman's loop using factory screws
IMG_1718.jpg

Recessed Mount Fusions
IMG_1705.jpg

Fusions triggered by reverse lights
IMG_1721.jpg

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Nice Jeep. I know it’s a courtesy state, but I’d like to see more 360 coverage by adding fusion recess mounts on the rear wheel wells and some lower front blue warning.
For the rear lightstick, I’d def slow down the flash pattern down

jabbeaux

Jul 5, 2018
NY
I agree, it would be nice to have something in the rear windows or fender flares. I debated (still am?) a 400 or 600 stick to replace that 20” Rigid bar on the bumper, or 2 FSM’s on the bumper.

I’d also like to tie the rear LED taillights into wigwag, but have a wiring headache because those are Euro (amber turn), so turn is tapped off the front signals and brake is tapped off the 3rd tail light.

What (slow) flash pattern do you suggest?

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
I used half-half slow dual color R-B/A-A for a little while on my rear 800. Switched it to primary R-B colors only with the same half-half pattern. Seems to work well. Recently switched my front stick "slow" mode to half-half slow as well, instead of the slow random and prefer that so far. With 4 heads, that's a lot of light and it's fast enough to get the point across. But, I still subscribe to using a fast pattern while responding and a slower pattern when parked (or in fog), so I use the infamous "Attack" pattern front and rear when responding.

Great work! I bet you're loving the new backup lights, amazingly bright. If I find a good solution for the 800 flashback, I'll let you know... I'm still using my "temporary" foamboard from last spring. Nice V1 ;)

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I agree, it would be nice to have something in the rear windows or fender flares. I debated (still am?) a 400 or 600 stick to replace that 20” Rigid bar on the bumper, or 2 FSM’s on the bumper.

I’d also like to tie the rear LED taillights into wigwag, but have a wiring headache because those are Euro (amber turn), so turn is tapped off the front signals and brake is tapped off the 3rd tail light.

What (slow) flash pattern do you suggest?

A slow single flash “wigwag” of red vs blue would yield a nice big footprint. I always recommend slower flash patterns to the rear b/c the slow big footprints are visible from farther away IMO and don’t blind ppl at night, like seizure patterns do. If you can add the Amber into the alternating mix, that’d be even better

I like the idea of using a dual color 600 with blue flash and clear flood override. Obviously just remember flood won’t be as bright as the rigid, but (to be honest) I think you’ll be plenty fine with the flood and the rigid D2’s on the A-posts. I think that adding fusions to the current setup in the grill would look too congested and tacky. Another potential option on top of the fusion stick is replacing the fog lights with dual color Feniex cannons (steady clear, flash blue) if you want lower warning

jabbeaux

Jul 5, 2018
NY
Thanks, all good ideas! The rear LED tail lights would look good. A diode could do the wiring trick, although I'd want an override so stop (red) and turn (amber) still function. Last thing I need is cause an accident because someone can't see a proper indicator light. I'm not sure how I'd handle the "override" part...maybe using the feniex's inputs? ugh it'd be a lot of wiring to run.

I'm going to look at the 600, especially since selling the Rigid 20" would more than pay for it. Just need to make sure it doesn't overhang the width of the top bumper area. The fogs is a good idea, though mine are aftermarket LEDs so can't put cannons there...but it's a great idea!

@whatevah - I prefer the R/B in the rear for fast patterns. The amber tends to blend with the red a bit when it's fast. I also prefer fast patterns in the front for responding, and slow when parked, and kill any extras at night...I wired a "slow" trigger the way you did, and my toggle switch activates only buttons...makes it easy to kill on-demand. I also added both 800's pattern wires as a single momentary button...makes it easy to swap around...especially as I'll be responding in both CT and NY.

Reactions: whatevah

jabbeaux

Jul 5, 2018
NY
Yep, not a problem at all.
Funny this thread got bumped, I'm in the process of deciding next car and plan to sell the Jeep. It's served me well, this setup has worked flawlessly for years and still in use today.

Theweda123

Mar 20, 2021
Iowa
That is great! I will be installing a 800 into my 2020 JL and was racking my brain on how to do till I came across your post and you made it look so simple. Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.