1941 GMC/Buffalo w/ FedSig Visilite

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
So, I go to my former fire company's annual Sunday meeting today. Chairman of the "41 Committee" (Committee charged with maintaining and restoring the company's 1941 GMC/Buffalo Fire Appliance) He asked me "You ever open up that gumball???" Referring to the FedSig Visilite Model 16:
epBfAZu
epBfAZu
epBfAZu.jpg

oNRuTme.jpg

oNRuTme

KRsZjzs.jpg

So, I popped her top, and to my horror, found this:
almuWkn.jpg

99QqHR0.jpg

So....it looks like someone gutted 1/2 of it, and replaced the internals with a teardrop bottom plate and internals...

Anybody have pictures of what the inside is supposed to look like?

Last edited:

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Had a single sealed beam rotating assembly. That being said, that light isn't appropriate for a 41 anyway.
I know that, it was added, from what I have gathered, in the Mid 50's, as traffic congestion began to grow within the village. Most of the truck's history, prior to 1964 is spotty at best.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
70's would make sense, since once the new 1964 Ford/Young was delivered, the GMC was sent to the Village's Department of Public Works, and used to fight fires in the Village garbage dump. It was returned to it's home company in 1970, as a historic apparatus.

Added some pictures to the first post
epBfAZu
, for clarity
oNRuTme

To be fair, I really shouldn't be surprised by this. When I was first assigned to the committee in 2006, we did a complete overhaul of the electrical system. When removing the wiring, the factory harness was all black wire, that ran down the passenger side frame rail.
At some point, the flashing lights in the front must have stopped working, because they then had tied in a piece of 14-4 ROMEX, and then ran it up the driver side frame rail...

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.