1986 ford F150 need help

squad51lfc

Jun 15, 2010
royersford,pa
ok so i just got a 1986 ford f150 , it used to be a chiefs vehicle some where in central pa , so now ive decided to use it on a daily basis , its soo cool to drive , anyways , im an active fire fighter and am in need of some advise ? should i keep it old school and run the visibar i have with dual blues ? or should i go new with leds? i need some input , thanks ! pics to come soon ..

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
My advice - Keep it old school.

Also, PA only allows two blue lights for POVs (except chiefs), so the Visibar will be all the lights you can use.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Blue domes on the visa bar (still made by fed sig) and you are set. Don't change a thing.

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
ya keep this truck very simple i had a 1982 f150 and wishi never got ride of it. cause with the truck being old and kinda spicing it up with new so mmmmm not so much in my eyes. put a good old rotator on it with some HAW and call it a day :lol:

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I agree with old school as it would look so much better being year authentic.

I have a 1985 Chevrolet M1009 CUCV Blazer with a older model AeroDynic lightbar 25-A1. It is the original design with gears and single motor to drive the rotators. I thought about a Edge 9000, but that was a very new light in the mid 80s and wanted a more classic light. I would rather have an authentic to the military MARS Spectra lightbar, but they are hard to find and last one on eBay sold for over $500.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
If you're allowed to use a siren, put a speaker in between the beacons. Then the truck would really look 'old school'. :mrgreen:

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
dmathieu said:
This is my favorite bar!!!!

that bar is a rebuild with an external power supply. that bar was built in 1976 and still has one of the 1976 octal tubes in it and it works great.. it was a free bar cleaned it up and added the p/s

no siren on that one that truck is just for plowing and around the farm

Stendec

May 21, 2010
On an '86 I'd leave the lights alone and be more concerned about things like brake pads, tranny seals and steering linkage. All the lights in the world won't help you if you are upside down in a ditch.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Stendec said:
On an '86 I'd leave the lights alone and be more concerned about things like brake pads, tranny seals and steering linkage. All the lights in the world won't help you if you are upside down in a ditch.

:roll:

Stendec

May 21, 2010
K9Vic said:

What's your point? I'll bet that for everyone who has festooned their ride with every light they could find space for, not more than 25% have added things like transmission coolers, high-performance brake pads, suspension upgrades, or anything else that'll make the vehicle actually perform better and last longer. And how crispy do you reckon the gaskets and seals are on a 24 year old ex-fire truck that spent most of its life sitting in a station, maybe getting a couple hours of really rough running every week or so?

aj9j

Sep 15, 2010
northern Wells county, IN
Well for compare here is a 93 f150 with a jetstream LB its amber but ou get the idea, i'm still partial to old school. here in indiana we have a brand new crown vic state trooper car , has a mayberry light in center of roof. it's like what the heck is that,

CLOSE UP OF MY TRUCK.jpg

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Stay old school! Its funny but here, we have 2009 county crown vics with ancient ass vista bars on them. Although they threw some dominators on the back deck, although at night the dominators completely overpower the entire lightbar!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.