1989 Chevrolet Suburban Funeral Utility Vehicle

funeralracer

Mar 8, 2011
Dallas TX
So I have been on the hunt for purple/magenta/violet domes for my MX7000. I want to put it on my 1989 Chevy Suburban Hearse, and purple is the color most widely used for funeral vehicles. I have no professional need for it, I just want it. I think I will also get a set of outer green domes for those Zombie hunting excursions :dielaugh:

Does that make me a poser/whacker? Possibly. But I think it will look cool :crazy:

Anyway, here is how it will look:

[Broken External Image]:http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...02987892582_1178262648_32363717_2444333_n.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...02987412570_1178262648_32363715_4749309_n.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...02987292567_1178262648_32363714_5562824_n.jpg

Like I said, the plan is for purple domes, either all 3 or purple outers with a yellow in the middle.

I don't plan on cutting a hole in the roof, but instead flattening the wiring harnesses to pass through the door jamb. Has anyone ever done this? Did it work? Another pic or two for reference:

[Broken External Image]:http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...02986012535_1178262648_32363712_6212112_n.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...02985812530_1178262648_32363711_3784468_n.jpg

Lastly (for now at least) I seem to be a bit short on reaching the gutters to secure it. I am thinking of just using longer bolts. Would that be SOP? I really don't want to put holes in my roof...

[Broken External Image]:http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...02987692577_1178262648_32363716_2655120_n.jpg

Feel free to let loose with opinions. I can take it :bonk: Advice and tips gladly accepted :thumbsup:

Larry

www.dallastrocars.org

fireman846

May 22, 2010
indiana, USA
flatting that cable no do n ot do it you will mess it up and then running it thru the door means big headaches!! purple domes not seen any before! if you are going the no holes way run it down the a piller and thry the engine compartment! use douple side tape mounts and go that way im sure some one will tell ya ezactly what they are. and as far as the bolts thats what i had done for mine. i got stain less so no rust stains. but please dont flaten the cable

funeralracer

Mar 8, 2011
Dallas TX
By "flattening" the cable, I only want to split the outer shielding and spread the wires flat. Then I will use heat shrink tube to re-seal the outer cover. Is this what you pictured I meant? What problems do you forsee me having?

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
I would not shut the lightbar cable in a door, it will eventually cause you problems. Code 3, to my knowledge doesn't have purple domes / lenses for any of their products. Green and amber is available. You can order a hook-on kit from Code 3 to hook your lightbar on the rain gutter.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
A 58" MX7000 might be a better fit for your Suburban than the 47" model you have now. There are also 52" models available, but they are significantly less common.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
This may sound stupid, but is there any purple spray paint tint?

I know rust-o-leum offers black-out spray/tint in a spray paint can for tinting taillights, I wonder if they have different colors such as purple?

Would be a fun project.

Or, how about purple bulbs with clear domes?

Matt C.

May 24, 2010
Covington, Ky
No matter how flat you get the wires, you will always have a straight-line passage for water to go right pass the rain channel and in to your vehicle. It may not seem like much, but it will destroy your floor boards. the carpet or batting under the floor mats will get soaked and start to mold. Drill a hole or run the cables along the a-post and into the engine compartment.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
I never heard of C3 offering purple. Whelen, Nova, and Able 2 do, though. You might have to buy a filter from one of them, then trim it to fit.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Why not use colored filters under the clear domes? You could come up with a homebrewed setup using thin flexible clear plastic sheeting curled into circles around the rotators with colored stage light filters over them, similar to what the 5-0 dashlights used, if authentic purple filters are not available from Code 3.

funeralracer

Mar 8, 2011
Dallas TX
badge22
I would not shut the lightbar cable in a door, it will eventually cause you problems. Code 3, to my knowledge doesn't have purple domes / lenses for any of their products. Green and amber is available. You can order a hook-on kit from Code 3 to hook your lightbar on the rain gutter. .

I agree. Though in this particular situation, that door is very rarely used. I have been thinking about possibly making a metal sleve to pass the wires through and keep them safe/secure. As for the purple domes, I actually called Code3 and confirmed that they did indeed make them (valid part numbers and all) as a special run for an Australian company. I am waiting on an email from them in regards to pricing. Failing that, Code3 will make some for me if I can buy a run minimum. Once I get my Slickstik's sold, I will be buying a pair of greens for the meantime.

tom
This may sound stupid, but is there any purple spray paint tint?

I know rust-o-leum offers black-out spray/tint in a spray paint can for tinting taillights, I wonder if they have different colors such as purple?

Would be a fun project.

Or, how about purple bulbs with clear domes?

Krylon makes a paint called Xmetals that comes in purple. It is a translucent paint made to go over a silver base. It colored very well on a busted dome I have, but the coverage is splotchy if you aren't VERY careful, and I don't know how well it will stand up under the heat from the halogens.

shues
A 58" MX7000 might be a better fit for your Suburban than the 47" model you have now. There are also 52" models available, but they are significantly less common. .

I got these locally for a good price, so they will do until I find a better fitting bar. Fortunately the part I am having a hard time finding will go on the longer bars if I find one cheap enough.

funeralracer

Mar 8, 2011
Dallas TX
so do you use this to carry bodies? the whole time i thought u did, or do you want this light for fun?

No, this one is my daily driver, work truck and all around beater. My 61 Cadillac harse is much more appropriate for funeral work.

03crownvic
Why not use colored filters under the clear domes? You could come up with a homebrewed setup using thin flexible clear plastic sheeting curled into circles around the rotators with colored stage light filters over them, similar to what the 5-0 dashlights used, if authentic purple filters are not available from Code 3.

I had considered this, but want something meant to fit properly and function without fail. Authentic domes are available, just have to get the Aussies to let loose with a price.

Newberry13
I never heard of C3 offering purple. Whelen, Nova, and Able 2 do, though. You might have to buy a filter from one of them, then trim it to fit.

They do offer thm, just had to dig for the part number. I'll stick with the MX, as it is what I have...

Matt C.
No matter how flat you get the wires, you will always have a straight-line passage for water to go right pass the rain channel and in to your vehicle. It may not seem like much, but it will destroy your floor boards. the carpet or batting under the floor mats will get soaked and start to mold. Drill a hole or run the cables along the a-post and into the engine compartment.

I think I have a handle on how to make this work. I'll make sure to share the process once I get started...

ParkPiggy
No offense, the car is a beater, don't worry about the roof, drill the dam hole for the bar wires!!

No offense taken ;) But I would rather not put any holes in the roof.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
I like this guy! He doesn't come off like some of the other noobs that we've had on here. lol

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
You might contact a local Glass Co. or a DJ/Music shop and see if either of them would have any Sheets of Purple Plexi glass and if it is big enough, You could fabricate something and possibly tac it or glue some to the inside of those MX Domes so that way it will look purple.

I found a place online that sells transparent purple plexiglas

www.eplastics.com

1-800-474-3688

funeralracer

Mar 8, 2011
Dallas TX
PC Comms said:
I like this guy! He doesn't come off like some of the other noobs that we've had on here. lol

I do try to be agreeable. I'm just a guy who has an idea and wants to make it happen. I'm happy to listen to advice of those who have more experience with an adult's maturity, and give it weight when considerating my options. Being polite helps too ;)

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
elite907 said:
You might contact a local Glass Co. or a DJ/Music shop and see if either of them would have any Sheets of Purple Plexi glass and if it is big enough, You could fabricate something and possibly tac it or glue some to the inside of those MX Domes so that way it will look purple.

I found a place online that sells transparent purple plexiglas

www.eplastics.com

1-800-474-3688

Hobby shops that have RC cars/planes sells transparent paint.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
http://www.elightbars.org/forums/showthread.php?12768-Code3-SlickStik-X2-FT-FS

He's already got a line on the purple domes, read this thread. They were made, apparently at one time for whatever reason.

Like ParkPiggy said, man up and drill the hole. It's a 20+ year old Suburban, it's not gaining anything in terms of value. Running it thru the door will only cause headaches down the road, both for hte bar and for the vehicle. Trust us, we know.

As far as use, looking at your avatar, it appears you're in a 'funeral car club', some sort of collectors group? If not used officially by a home, you might want to check local laws to see if this is even legal to display this color. While rare, there may still be a law to this color in your area.

As far as your mounts. #1 you have the wrong clamps. You have the gutterless, you need gutter, being your vehicle is equipped with them. #2, longer bolts, yes.... you'll need them. Move the feet as far out as you can by loosening the bolts on the bottom and sliding them out. Get the correct clamps and slide those up, then measure how long of bolts you need.

Good luck.

funeralracer

Mar 8, 2011
Dallas TX
rwo978 said:
As far as use, looking at your avatar, it appears you're in a 'funeral car club', some sort of collectors group? If not used officially by a home, you might want to check local laws to see if this is even legal to display this color. While rare, there may still be a law to this color in your area.

Texas has zero regulation on green or purple colors. I'll be getting a set of each. Believe me, I checked thoroughly. I'll look it up in the Transportation Code and put it here later on.

As far as your mounts. #1 you have the wrong clamps. You have the gutterless, you need gutter, being your vehicle is equipped with them. #2, longer bolts, yes.... you'll need them. Move the feet as far out as you can by loosening the bolts on the bottom and sliding them out. Get the correct clamps and slide those up, then measure how long of bolts you need.

Good luck.

Thank you for that. I'll try to find some, though I would appreciate a line on an inexpensive pair if anyone has them :thumbsup:

Now to get those SlickStiks sold...

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
I just love the title of this thread:

"Dispatch to Funeral Utility 1. Respond to the 1800 block of Main Street with ventilation fans and orange cones."

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
funeralracer said:
Thank you for that. I'll try to find some, though I would appreciate a line on an inexpensive pair if anyone has them :thumbsup:

I may have an old pair laying around here. I'll take a look for you this afternoon.

Federal_Agent

Mar 1, 2011
USA Kentucky
I know you didn't want to drill any holes... But... You could drill a hole in the center of the roof underneath the lightbar and later if you removed the bar you could install a NMO mount antenna or plug.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
If the price isn't too expensive, I am more than sure there are a few people that would be interested in purple MX domes.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
03crownvic said:
If PC doesn't, I know I have some, just gotta find them. I'll look around my storage places today.

Funny how those all got relegated to the back room or storage bins after 1992 or so. LOL

Lightbarnut

Jun 9, 2010
Palatka, Florida.
NPS Ranger said:
I just love the title of this thread:

"Dispatch to Funeral Utility 1. Respond to the 1800 block of Main Street with ventilation fans and orange cones."

Funeral Utility 1 responds to all incidents of long-term decomp situations. It carries several exaust and ventilation fans for expulsion of foul odors, leak-proof body bags, full-body Class A Haz-Mat suits, bleach, cans of Raid, 2 mortuary cots, spray bottles of Febreeze, industrial strength professional carpet cleaner, 2 square point shovels, rubbermaid storage totes and heavy-duty garbage bags. It is used regularly by local funeral homes and the district medical examiners office, and is called to assist police and sheriffs offices at scenes of violent deaths.

funeralracer

Mar 8, 2011
Dallas TX
Lightbarnut said:
Funeral Utility 1 responds to all incidents of long-term decomp situations. It carries several exaust and ventilation fans for expulsion of foul odors, leak-proof body bags, full-body Class A Haz-Mat suits, bleach, cans of Raid, 2 mortuary cots, spray bottles of Febreeze, industrial strength professional carpet cleaner, 2 square point shovels, rubbermaid storage totes and heavy-duty garbage bags. It is used regularly by local funeral homes and the district medical examiners office, and is called to assist police and sheriffs offices at scenes of violent deaths.

Hmmmm... Never heard of that. I think around here that is handled by private contractors. Makes sense though. And I already have a shovel racked in my truck :woot:

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Lightbarnut said:

Yeah, we have a bio-hazard company under contract here for crime scene clean up.

funeralracer

Mar 8, 2011
Dallas TX
:woot: W :woot: O :woot: O :woot: T :woot:

Just heard back from Britax! The shipping may kill me, but the lenses are priced RIGHT! I need to find a proxy in Australia or someone with a FedEx account to bring shipping down. Anyone else interested in getting some magenta MX domes?

dpd4703

May 25, 2010
Dallas, TX
funeralracer said:
Texas has zero regulation on green or purple colors. I'll be getting a set of each. Believe me, I checked thoroughly. I'll look it up in the Transportation Code and put it here later on.

While the TxTC does not prohibit the equipping of a vehicle for use on a public roadway with green and purple lenses/lights, remember the catch all law that no vehicle may display to the front any color that is not white or amber or a shade between them, and no light to the rear that is not amber or red or a shade between those. Basically, you can drive around on a public street as long the lights are not illuminated.

funeralracer

Mar 8, 2011
Dallas TX
dpd4703 said:
While the TxTC does not prohibit the equipping of a vehicle for use on a public roadway with green and purple lenses/lights, remember the catch all law that no vehicle may display to the front any color that is not white or amber or a shade between them, and no light to the rear that is not amber or red or a shade between those. Basically, you can drive around on a public street as long the lights are not illuminated.

Interesting... Could you possibly provide me with th TTC section? Not arguing with you, just prefer to have documentation all around. Most DPD I have asked say they wouldn't care if it was lit so long as it wasn't blue/white/red.

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
Well I got an email back from Britax stating they do not sell to anyone in the USA only Australia, Asia and Europe.

And if I want Purple/Magenta MX Domes for me to contact Code3pse.

And we all know that is a lost cause.

funeralracer

Mar 8, 2011
Dallas TX
elite907 said:
Well I got an email back from Britax stating they do not sell to anyone in the USA only Australia, Asia and Europe.
And if I want Purple/Magenta MX Domes for me to contact Code3pse.

And we all know that is a lost cause.

Not to worry, I appear to have made the appropriate contacts. I'll PM you.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.