1990’s TX radio equipment help needed

TXDPSCJ

Aug 6, 2023
NJ
Ok, I need some help or guidance with my restoration.

I know TX used the Motorola Spectra (Astro) front head unit. From my online research, it seems that from 1990-1993, they used the Motorola Syntor (9000). I don’t know anything about the Syntor, meaning when I search online or on eBay for the “pieces”, I see Syntor that are UHF, VHF, or listed as “2-way”, etc.

I’ve also found that along with the Syntor radio base that would go in the trunk, that there should also be a Motorola Spectra Siren box.

What I don’t know is, how does that Siren box and the Syntor all get tied into the front Motorola head unit? How do I know which Syntor 9000 to get (UHF, VHF etc)? Where there other Motorola modules that were tied in?

Did TX use any other interior radio equipment back then such as a scanner, etc. and if so, what was the type/model?

I already have procured a correct NOS Decibel DB702 antenna that is to be mounted center of the trunk lid.

If anyone can please help with the TX Motorola setup from back then, it’s greatly appreciated!

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
So couple of things I hope will be helpful.

I don’t know TX, but based on the topography I would guess the Syntor was a vhf, that and the antenna you’re referring to is vhf, that’s likely. Could be low band but they would have used a much longer whip antenna.

Depending what type of head was used on the Spectra (the Astro spectra came later) you’d likely run the siren with a siren dek. The A9 head for the Spectra as I recall could be programmed for siren functionality. Some pictures of the setup would be helpful.

Are you going to fully functional or just replica status??

Seth

TXDPSCJ

Aug 6, 2023
NJ
So couple of things I hope will be helpful.

I don’t know TX, but based on the topography I would guess the Syntor was a vhf, that and the antenna you’re referring to is vhf, that’s likely. Could be low band but they would have used a much longer whip antenna.

Depending what type of head was used on the Spectra (the Astro spectra came later) you’d likely run the siren with a siren dek. The A9 head for the Spectra as I recall could be programmed for siren functionality. Some pictures of the setup would be helpful.

Are you going to fully functional or just replica status??

Seth

Hi Seth,

Thanks for responding and you may be on to something.

The Decibel DB702 is the correct antenna used by the DPS in this vehicle. Now that you have mentioned it may have been a VHF Syntor that makes sense if the antenna is VHF.

So, I'm a visual person when it comes to something new (like this stuff). I'm going to post some images and if you can let me know if I'm on the right track that would be great. Also tell me if I'm totally wrong too... LOL. If you can post any images of what you think was used for the radio equipment that would be helpful.

I'm not sure what a Siren dek is?

Yes, from all research, TX used the Motorola head to control the siren and the radio equipment in the 80's-90's.

The current head in the vehicle is wrong. The prior owner stuck it in there as a "display" for shows, so I can't use that as my starting base. However, this image of the Motorola head is what was documented as used back then and it's the Spectra version (doesn't have the Astro logo on the face):
1699753470115.jpeg

Now I also have a Motorola speaker too - not hooked up to anything. The speaker was usually mounted behind the head on top of the dash (in the Mustangs).

From researching, the car when in service should have had a Motorola Syntor (9000? XX?). I've seen Syntors on eBay labeled as X9000, 9000 or XX9000, I don't know the differences.

To answer your other question, my goal is to have all of the pieces tied in just as it was when in service and functional. Now I know I probably won't get TX channels or even get the head to work 100%, but I'd like to get the siren and head to at least power on from the right equipment pieces. I know programming is needed for the Syntor base and/or head, but I'm not even close to being there yet. I need to gather the parts first... and get then wired in... LOL.

Any images listed below aren't mine and were pulled from various eBay ads for "visuals".

Ok, is this considered the "radio" and it is listed as a "two way FM". Does that mean it's VHF and UHF? When looking for this type of unit for my restoration, how would I know if it's high power or low power IHF or VHF? I mean sure the sellers listing *might* have that info but some of these sellers just get these things and don't know anything about them.
IMG_5365.jpegIMG_5364.jpeg

Also from research it seems there was a siren box, which I guess is this unit? Does this somehow link into the Syntor radio base above?
IMG_5367.jpegIMG_5366.jpeg
And does this all tie back to the Head unit via correct cabling somehow?

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
You’re welcome.

Motorola DEK’s are frequently used to control the Motorola siren…
See attached as an example(not my photo)

The control head you posted has the A9 control head managing the siren functions on the dtmf portion of the control head hence the wail yelp hi-lo buttons on the control head.

As to what to put in, I’d recommend the syntor x9000 vhf. They can still be programmed and can be still found.

See here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2846968627...=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

After the basics of the radio brick, control head, mic and speaker. The siren box is next. Two main cables. One between the siren box and brick and a second between the main brick and remote control head.

Interconnect cable between main brick n remote control head:

I believe this is the siren box to brick interconnect cable you need:

As far as programming you need a old computer and correct cables. Like a 386 old computer. A few people can still program them, but not many. I still have the cables n computer but it’s been several years since I reprogrammed my low band syntor x9000’s.

Reprogramming the radio and control head is important if you want to get the siren functionality working.

The bricks above are all 110watt radios. I’m not sure but I don’t remember the syntor coming in 50watt.

This should give you a pathway forward.

Seth

Attachments

• IMG_4467.jpeg
    IMG_4467.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 2

TXDPSCJ

Aug 6, 2023
NJ
You’re welcome.

Motorola DEK’s are frequently used to control the Motorola siren…
See attached as an example(not my photo)

The control head you posted has the A9 control head managing the siren functions on the dtmf portion of the control head hence the wail yelp hi-lo buttons on the control head.

As to what to put in, I’d recommend the syntor x9000 vhf. They can still be programmed and can be still found.

See here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2846968627...=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

After the basics of the radio brick, control head, mic and speaker. The siren box is next. Two main cables. One between the siren box and brick and a second between the main brick and remote control head.

Interconnect cable between main brick n remote control head:

I believe this is the siren box to brick interconnect cable you need:

As far as programming you need a old computer and correct cables. Like a 386 old computer. A few people can still program them, but not many. I still have the cables n computer but it’s been several years since I reprogrammed my low band syntor x9000’s.

Reprogramming the radio and control head is important if you want to get the siren functionality working.

The bricks above are all 110watt radios. I’m not sure but I don’t remember the syntor coming in 50watt.

This should give you a pathway forward.

Seth

Seth,

Wow! Thanks so much for the visuals, it does really help me, because now I can really zero in on exactly what’s needed, rather than looking online and trying to guess at what I need to put together for a period correct restoration.

When you mention a 386 computer and the programming - does the programming allow a user to say pick a geographic location in the US to put in jurisdiction channels to listen, or does it just allow configuring of the buttons on the main head to work with the Siren box, external speaker, etc?

@C17LVFD
Thank you for that website too, you’re not kidding about “a lot of info” there, never saw that site before! Thanks!

So the other questions I have:
- What is a “trunked” unit?
- What is “low band” vs “high band”? Is the VHF considered high band, or would I need to go a level deeper when looking to get a VHF radio brick to make sure it’s a high band?

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
You’re welcome.

Programming software for the radio allows you to control what buttons do ie program the DTMF buttons for siren tones etc and allows you to build the channels with the technical information to make them work on a sequence of your choosing. The days of choosing a region and you can download that into a scanner are modern day, the last 5 years or a little longer. Public safety radios were not built with hand holding in mind, as such you have to know exactly what you’re doing to get them to work as there are A LOT of options in how to set them up correctly.

A trunking unit refers to Trunking protocol. Not putting the brick in your trunk. You don’t need a trunking unit. Trunking is where a computer system controls a pool of frequencies for better frequency allocation to make better use of the available resources. You just would be wanting to put some conventional channels in which is what Texas was using back then.

Low band is 30-50MHz where VHF high band is 136-174MHz. I have seen low band referred to as VHF low, but you really want to look for the MHz range vs just high or low. Most eBay sellers know very little about what they’re selling. The links I provided above would get you about 95% of the way. Really the only thing you’d need after the above is sourcing replacement buttons for the siren labeling on the control head.

There is a model number breakdown of what each letter/number of the syntor model number means. Just have to find it.

Seth

TXDPSCJ

Aug 6, 2023
NJ
Here’s the manual with a LOT of additional details. It also references the model numbers.

Seth,

Thanks for that additional link, really good info!

If you don’t mind, I have some additional questions about the Motorola Siren “brick”. I did view the eBay link to the siren brick you provided above. When going back to an earlier eBay search I had saved for those units, I’m seeing different model numbers listed. I did go to the “repeater builder” links you supplied the other day to see if I could find the “why” or even maybe something in those links to just the siren brick…. But unless I’m totally missing it, most of the links are geared towards the radio brick.

These are the Siren brick model numbers I am seeing. Is the difference in model numbers just tech revisions (older unit vs. newer)? Or does the change in model number mean the siren has a different sound? (probably a really dumb question… LOL)

HLN1439C
HLN1439D
HLN1439F
HLN1439G
HLN1185B
HLN1185C
HLN1185E

The cases and plug input look the same on all (to me). The only other visual difference I am seeing is the label that reads either “Motorola System 9000” vs. Motorola “Spectra Astro”.

Should I be concerned with siren part number compatibility to a Radio brick (like the eBay radio brick you posted above) and cabling?

Last edited:

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Personally, I’d stay away from the Astro bricks as they were made after the syntor series.

This being said, all bricks are very similar. As you said, likely tech revisions from what I remember. I have seen APX platform radios still use the system 9000 siren brick without issue, so def backward compatible to a point.

If you stay with a systems 9000 brick, I think you’ll be good to go.

And no, unfortunately I can’t speak to whether diff model numbers have differing tones. Sorry.

Seth

SoloRTP

May 22, 2011
NV, USA
A little late here, but:

The Syntor units are pre-ASTRO, which means they are the wider bandwidth that FCC banned a decade ago, except for a few specific users and for amateur radio licensees. Even non-ASTRO models of Spectra and Saber are wider.

I'd be willing to bet that Texas agencies who were using Motorola radios went to ASTRO as the digital technology came in. Most (but not all) ASTRO units offer APCO Project 25 digital protocol as well as "conventional" analog channels. Some ham radio types use P25 and there are P25 repeaters.

"Two way" just means that the radio transmits and receives. Motorola has traditionally pushed "Two Way Radio" as a point of pride, having been the pioneers. The company started with car radio receivers in the 1930s, and when radios started being put in cop cars, they were just receivers. The Two Way Radio Line came in the 1940s. Some agencies called any car with a receiver "radio dispatched," but those with Two Way Radio Line equipment were "radio cars."

In the 1950s, FM started replacing AM radio systems in public safety (much to the chagrin of people who liked hearing the police calls on their home radios -- for instance LAPD, which was at 1620 on the AM dial, had one dispatcher named Rosenquist, who became a local celebrity). There was also an expansion of the number of bands and frequencies. There are several bands. VHF-Lo is roughly 30 - 70 MHz, VHF-Hi is roughly 130 - 174, UHF roughly 450 - 480, and 700/800 in that frequency range. There are several other less common ranges, but generally not used on highway patrol cars. Texas Highway Patrol used both VHF-Lo and VHF-Hi back in the 1980s and are now on VHF-Hi.

Siren tones were the same in Syntor and Spectra, but some agencies would ask for modified tones, especially in metropolitan areas. A couple of resistors would be changed to do this. I have long since lost the chart describing the procedure.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.