1996 Freightliner/Amtech Rescue LED upgrading

smackjack21

Aug 22, 2012
Upstate NY
This is my in progress project of upgrading my FD's Rescue truck to LED lighting.  Truck is a 1996 Freightliner/Amtech walk in Rescue body.  This is our 1st due piece to MVAs, and technical rescue calls.  Since this piece will be in our department for the foreseeable future, we are slowly bringing this truck into modern times, both in NFPA standards, efficiency, and appearance.  We are trying to keep all work in house to keep costs down, and so far so good.  

Original Warning lights are as follow:

• Lightbar - Code 3 XL 8 rotator     
  • Whelen 6 strobe pack with 2 700 series in the grille, 2 700 series for intersection warning and 2 700 series midship lower level
  • 8 red Whelen 900 series halogen flashing perimeter lighting. 2 on each side or rescue body and 4 in the rear

Lighting refurb project is split into 3 phases.

• Phase 1 includes replacing halogen perimeter lighting 
  • Phase 2 will include the replacing of the halogen lightbar with a NFPA Freedom or similar. (Still looking for a used one if anyone knows of any!)
  • Phase 3 will look into interior lighting as well as compartment lighting. 

So far Phase 1 has been completed.  I removed the halogen 900 series heads and installed Whelen 900 led light heads.  To keep things simple and clean, all the light heads are set on steady burn and flashed from the old flasher.  I stayed with solid red on the sides, and changed the back to 2 red, 1 blue, 1 amber.  All light heads have colored lenses.  The pattern is a little boring for me, but it much more effective than the old halogen lights. 

I hope to get the bar in the next month or two and keep moving along on this project.  

Video below of the new perimeter lights. Apologize in advance for the crappy cell phone/dark video.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Looks great! Simple and VERY effective!!
:iagree: :iagree:

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Finally...... Someone who gets it (meaning the OP, I know you do C17LVFD)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now we need a video of it outside, not in the cramped bays. Further back, night and daytime!!!!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looks great! I would add a phase 4, though! (Chevrons to the rear and a pair of lower rear warning lightheads (ie amber 700s on signal alert, flashing independently of the 900s for simplicity), since I'm guessing that your MVA responses don't include that trailer ;-)

Reactions: smackjack21

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
As the others have said, looks great. Keep the sides simple - I love that single flash. You could even leave those side facing strobes as is. As for the lightbar, I would go with an LED Aerodynic, just to balance the 1996 model year of the truck with some modern lighting, but I know they get pricey. 

Looks great! I would add a phase 4, though! (Chevrons to the rear and a pair of lower rear warning lightheads (ie amber 700s on signal alert, flashing independently of the 900s for simplicity), since I'm guessing that your MVA responses don't include that trailer ;-)
Totally agree with you on the chevrons. I would throw in some lower level powerarc p14's to the rear just to mix it up a bit - but I digress. 

As is, this is a great start. Nice work!

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I like the power arc idea too

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rusted413

smackjack21

Aug 22, 2012
Upstate NY
Thanks for all the compliments!  I'm waiting for a good opportunity to get outside and shoot a decent video.

The vehicle you see behind the rescue is actually our utility truck, not a trailer.  It faces the other way and has its own bay door that it drives out, so your just seeing the back box of it.  

As for the lightbar, I'm open to any possibilities that are close in length to the current halogen bar and in our price range. Looking to stay under 2k new.  

Keep the ideas coming, I like the different thoughts and points of view.

Also feel free to check out our Facebook page, lots of pictures there. 

https://www.facebook.com/HagamanVFD?ref=br_tf

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Thanks for all the compliments! I'm waiting for a good opportunity to get outside and shoot a decent video.

The vehicle you see behind the rescue is actually our utility truck, not a trailer. It faces the other way and has its own bay door that it drives out, so your just seeing the back box of it.

As for the lightbar, I'm open to any possibilities that are close in length to the current halogen bar and in our price range. Looking to stay under 2k new.

Keep the ideas coming, I like the different thoughts and points of view.

Also feel free to check out our Facebook page, lots of pictures there.

https://www.facebook.com/HagamanVFD?ref=br_tf
2K is a decent budget. I'd hands down go with a whelen NFPA freedom "Q" model (the rear corner modules face sideways instead of at 45 degree angles, which is a waste with a box or elevated roof behind the bar). That's def within your budget and you can add red inboard modules as time goes by (ie start with the base config & in a few months you can add 1-2 pairs of inboards).

Other than that, i think you'll be all set if you just add a pair of lower rear warning lights, upgrade the TA (since that old halogen one doesn't stand a chance at night, surrounded by 4 big LED lightheads), and add chevrons.

PS I just looked at your FB page. I think I just lost respect for your dept when I saw that your chief's vehicle (the explorer 218) has what looks to be HG2 Runners! What an amateur mistake! JK lol.

Nice collection of rigs, and hopefully the next project will be upgrading the tower's perimeter warning (or at the very least replacing the circle halogens on the outriggers)

Last edited by a moderator:

smackjack21

Aug 22, 2012
Upstate NY
2K is a decent budget. I'd hands down go with a whelen NFPA freedom "Q" model (the rear corner modules face sideways instead of at 45 degree angles, which is a waste with a box or elevated roof behind the bar). That's def within your budget and you can add red inboard modules as time goes by (ie start with the base config & in a few months you can add 1-2 pairs of inboards).

Other than that, a pair of lower rear warning lights, and chevrons, I think you're all set for now.
A basic 72" Q NFPA Freedom is the current plan.   Chevrons would be cool, but there is alot going on in the back of the truck.  Photo for reference:

[Broken External Image]:https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd...._=1420057812_42ea5cb8899a210e6706da8439167737

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Glad to hear the freedom is on the agenda, and not some low pro bar.

As for the Chevron's, yes there is a lot going around on the rear of your vehicle, but I guarantee they will enhance the visibility of the way of your truck tremendously, even at the daytime. That neon yellow can be seen from a LONG ways out

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Slow and simple patterns are more effective like others have said.  The single flash is a good choice.  I agree there is a lot going on but chevrons would be a good addition. 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.