1998 Ford Explorer - Fire Police POV

bbqsauce86

Dec 21, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of outfitting a 2002 Chevy Impala, and I'm looking at possibly outfitting it similarly to that of a vehicle I already own.

Installed in this vehicle is the following:

• Code 3 Excalibur Lightbar (all halogen)
  • Whacker Technologies Junior 24 LED (red/clear front, red rear)
  • Code 3 Z100 speaker
  • Code 3 V-CON siren (3672L4)
  • Kenwood TK-8180 UHF mobile radio

I'm thinking about moving all of this equipment to the Impala, with exception to the Whacker LEDs, which I have since replaced with Whelen TIR3s (all red).

If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate them. :)

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I like it how are those Junior 24 leds i know a guy who is willing to sell me some of these but i have not bought them yet i was wondering if they are bright or not.

bbqsauce86

Dec 21, 2010
They're not very bright. They're bright enough to illuminate themselves, but they don't project light out very well. Since I swapped them out with the Whelen TIR3s, I've been much happier. The TIRs may be more money, but they're well worth it for clearing the path.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Looks like an effective lower cost install on the Explorer. My only slight gripe is that the lightbar sits too far forward for my person taste.

Alovebaby41

May 23, 2010
Texas
Good setup but i would change one thing when put the TRI 3's on there i would set them to a solid flash pattern. they work best when they are not split.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Any plans for an arrow stick etc? I would think that that might come in handy since you are a fire cop. Not sure what your area is like, but was just curious

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Station 3 said:
I like it how are those Junior 24 leds i know a guy who is willing to sell me some of these but i have not bought them yet i was wondering if they are bright or not.

I ended up getting two of them split Red/White for around $20 bucks so pretty fair price.

A-TAD

May 21, 2010
South Eastern PA
What kind of console is in your Explorer?

I currently have a 2000 Explorer for my work vehicle that is the same body style and would like to have one as

I just need something small for two sirens, a PA300 and an original GE Powercall.

Thanks

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
A-TAD said:
I currently have a 2000 Explorer for my work vehicle that is the same body style and would like to have one as

I just need something small for two sirens, a PA300 and an original GE Powercall.

Thanks

+1, I've never seen something like that in a '98 Explorer. Interesting.

bbqsauce86

Dec 21, 2010
Rusted413 said:
Any plans for an arrow stick etc? I would think that that might come in handy since you are a fire cop. Not sure what your area is like, but was just curious
I planned on putting one on, but I never got around to doing it. I was likely going to put a Sho-Me Chameleon (red/amber) on the rear of the roof.

A-TAD said:

Thanks
My console is a Havis C-AS-840-11.

FireEMSPolice said:
Looks good! Ever consider adding an HLF? Maybe some HAWs?
I thought about it, but I didn't have the budget when outfitting the vehicle. Once I had the money, I didn't have the time. Such is life.

bbqsauce86

Dec 21, 2010
Mrlunchbox said:
Yes, PICS of the console/equipment mount would be great please!!

Since I've decommissioned the Explorer, we'll be putting that console in a friend's '02 Silverado. Same gear (a V-CON and a Kenwood TK-8180). Once I have pictures I'll be sure to post them.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Is the console (the part with the armrest, not the equipment console) an aftermarket one? I've never seen an Explorer of that year that didn't have a full-length factory console that went all the way up to the dash. I had a 2000 Explorer and I had to take out the cupholder/storage cubbies and I dropped a flat Havis Shields 14" console in that space, worked awesome too.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Ben E. said:
Is the console (the part with the armrest, not the equipment console) an aftermarket one? I've never seen an Explorer of that year that didn't have a full-length factory console that went all the way up to the dash. I had a 2000 Explorer and I had to take out the cupholder/storage cubbies and I dropped a flat Havis Shields 14" console in that space, worked awesome too.

They are fewer and farther between but it is factory.

A-TAD

May 21, 2010
South Eastern PA
Ben E. said:

I have used 4 Explorers, 3 that were a 1997 and 1 that is currently a 2000, all with the same console.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.