1999 Jeep Cherokee

louis2322

May 23, 2010
Ulster County, NY
This is my truck. Being used mainly for response to station, sometimes scene, but has been used as a backup vehicle for boat response, traffic control and road closures.

2in hitch class 3

Rear air shocks

Superchips tuned

Ignition override to keep truck running while on scene

Omega Excalibur Alarm/Keyless Entry/Remote Start

Police Package Ext. Idle wired in with hidden activation switch

2x Mini-MAG flashlights mounted to sides of front seats with traffic batons

2x 1,000,000 cp spotlight, 1 portable, 1 tethered to 12v power cord

Uniden Bearcat 350C Multiband scanner, non trunking, with glass mount ant.

Switchbox above RVM to control custom relay pack to control lights mounted under drivers seat

Roof rack mounted offroad lights

Sho-ME remote siren with A/H

Whelen Talon b/b right of RVM

Custom 9LED grille lights

Whelen HLF

Whelen CSP strobe pack under LR seat powering 4 HAW's in rear tails

Soon to have:

Speaker for siren :roll:

Hood mount Antenna or longer whip for glass mount

2 b/b rear facing lights(Slimmisers?)

Side rear window TIR3 or 6's

LED or Strobe Mini bar in between Offroad lights with Alleys and TD's?

2in lift kit

16in wheels with some beefier tires for the Northeast winters

Front Hitch receiver

Its still a work in progress. What do you think?

If you are going to ask WHY some stuff is on truck, PM me. I posted this so I could get some feedback on how my project has come sofar(what needs to be improved or added).

traumajunkie

May 22, 2010
Myrtle Beach, SC
Are you a chief? HLF, tailight strobes, and siren???? Aren't those illegal if your not a chief? And if you are a chief then blue would be a no-no.... Other than that looks good.

louis2322

May 23, 2010
Ulster County, NY
HLF is for demo use only

Siren DOES NOT have a speaker installed.

Rear strobes are legal in NYS, but cant be used while moving unless you are a fire officer or police officer. They are allowed to be used if vehicle impedes the flow of traffic, or if said vehicle is engaged in hazardous conditions, for example, winching someone out of a ditch, blocking off of roads.....

The siren I got was mainly for the airhorn function, why else would I go with a Sho-Me for the siren ;) but without a speaker, it right now doesnt really matter.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
kinnelonfire75 said:
Shouldn't you have bought an a/h only unit, like whelen sells?

Also what do you mean by "used as a back up vehicle for boat response..."

I would assume his department would want him to tow a boat if they need it? That's what I got out of it.

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
traumajunkie said:
Yea but I dont know many NY departments that don't have at least a few pickups/suvs

LOL.. I agree.. But I guess I was just stating the obvious :lol: :mrgreen:

louis2322

May 23, 2010
Ulster County, NY
As in, I am authorized when a call arises, if Boat 1 and our brush truck(only apparatus with a hitch) are at another call and a request is made for boat 2, i am authorized to respond once cleared by the IC pending on what his pleasure for boats are.

Fluffy is correct as you are as well. 2 chief cars have hitches. In most cases, only one chief, sometimes no chief responds to calls during some hours(interdept issues-will not go further)so the need for another vehicle to be available to tow if needed was req'd, and was aprvd by officers. It is not only myself, but 2 other FF's that were cleared to tow on as needed basis to calls.

And the airhorn unit whelen sells is DOUBLE in price than a regular whelen siren, and the price was right for what I wanted this unit for.

I have religiously read the laws, as well as having a few local officers as friends. The way I have the strobes setup IS LEGAL when engaged in hazardous ops like road closures, winchouts, and Traffic control, WHEN THE VEHICLE IS NOT MOVING, which is when its used.

Why I put in a HLF in for demo use? Well, if you look at the fuse for my left side H/B, you will see. It was popping cont. so instead of tearing the harness inside the truck apart, I bypassed it with the HLF. Makes the High beams brighter with more current flow not to mention less time consuming

Reason for not having a speaker is because the last 2 speakers blew out i had in it, I havent figured out why they blew yet.

traumajunkie

May 22, 2010
Myrtle Beach, SC
BS flag wasn't for the boat, I can understand that.

Makes the High beams brighter with more current flow not to mention less time consuming
.....ummmm....no....try again...and this still doesn't explain "demo" and you can replace the flasher with a wire to accomplish the purpose you stated.

And not sure why you need an electric air horn...they aren't allowed for response in NY either...and there decibel level is typically illegal for standard horn use.

Also what dept are you with?...just curious.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
In NYS only blue for vollies. The Chiefs are starting to put blue/Red/Amber to the back. I have seen a lot of Vol FD POV's with HLF and Corner Strobes. I dont think its legal but the local PD dont bother them . If my house was burning I would want them to get there asap.

traumajunkie

May 22, 2010
Myrtle Beach, SC
VolEms said:
In NYS only blue for vollies. The Chiefs are starting to put blue/Red/Amber to the back. I have seen a lot of Vol FD POV's with HLF and Corner Strobes. I dont think its legal but the local PD dont bother them . If my house was burning I would want them to get there asap.

I understand wanting them to get there asap...but it is still illegal to speed/brake traffic laws in POV. So I don't see how using illegal lighting gets them anywhere besides further from convincing the state to allow code 3 response.

I always hate the "local cops don't mind" so if a local cop personally doesn't mind that I rob someone it is OK to do it? I'm sorry if im causing issues, but so many places volunteers are scrutinized and its always because a few people couldn't follow the rules.

GranPrix

May 23, 2010
FL
Wow, I've been noticing this board is notorious for "worrying" about other people and their "intentions" with their installs. Honestly who gives a crap. It's not my car therefore it's his problem, not mine. So back to the topic.... Nice set-up. Not digging the red control box though.

traumajunkie

May 22, 2010
Myrtle Beach, SC
GranPrix said:
Wow, I've been noticing this board is notorious for "worrying" about other people and their "intentions" with their installs. Honestly who gives a crap. It's not my car therefore it's his problem, not mine. So back to the topic.... Nice set-up. Not digging the red control box though.

Ok this will be my last post regarding this unless the OP wish to continue my discussion, while yes I agree it is a good install. We "worry" about it because it only takes a few to ruin things for everyone else. Also some people don't realize what they are doing is incorrect.

ibby

May 28, 2010
GranPrix said:

a BIG +1

Nice clean install, although i dont know how i feel about vertically mounted grill lights. (Not just your car, ive never liked them in general)

Mr911

Jun 2, 2010
Northeastern Pennsylvania
First...I normally just keep my mouth shut, BUT not this time! WHY do people jump all over other people just because they know everything? If this guy mans up and donates his POV for occasional dept use...he should be getting kudos, not criticism. Second...He has a Chief to answer to, if his Chief doesn't have a problem with it, why do you? (after all its his dept's image, not yours)

Next...This is just another example of why volunteers get discouraged and leave. It is OUR responsibility and duty to TEACH new people the legalities, safety, tactics, and politics of firefighting. Too many people just point fingers and laugh without really understanding what their own purpose is...

And Last...this is an INSTALL THREAD...not a BASH the FIREFIGHTER THREAD!

Ok, I've said enough, now...

"Louis",

Good project...I would like to make a few suggestions (especially after doing a Jeep myself)...

1) if you have room...center the windshield light over the RVM.

2) look into some "Pimp Pods" or similar warning for the rear side windows.

3) check out Microman for a great interior bar for the rear hatch window area.

4) another thing I did was route all wiring to the center console and had all switches, scanner, etc. under the armrest. (that way headroom wasn't affected by a "Switchbox" in the ceiling.)

The front hitch is a good idea but make sure you add some shackle points to the frame as well. If you're winching or towing you will use them. (they make great tie-off points)

Check out a few pics of my Jeep build...this was my POV (not dept owned).

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t151_chief60mac_JEEP_20Pics_003.jpg

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t151_chief60mac_JEEP_20Pics_006.jpg

This is what it looked like when I was done building it out after 3 years of work as funds allowed...I loved it, it went everywhere! I did sell it last year and bought another project...my explorer. If you have any questions or need anything, just PM me or email, I'll try to help ya with yours. Stay safe!

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Loving that AdvantEdge! I wish those were used more often... Great color setup too.

Not too bad. Looks pretty expensive though.

Mr911

Jun 2, 2010
I don't know why they never really caught on around here...I still have the bar, it's sitting in my workshop. I would love to find a set of blue lenses and endcaps for it...and it wasn't a real expensive setup...my friend did most of the work for me. The biggest expense was the custom front and rear bumpers. But this is Louis' thread, so we should probably be talking about his setup...

louis2322

May 23, 2010
Ulster County, NY
GranPrix said:
Thank you sir.

This is what I'm after. Not to be bashed by people wanting to nitpick my truck apart.

louis2322

May 23, 2010
Ulster County, NY
Mr911 said:
First...I normally just keep my mouth shut, BUT not this time! WHY do people jump all over other people just because they know everything? If this guy mans up and donates his POV for occasional dept use...he should be getting kudos, not criticism. Second...He has a Chief to answer to, if his Chief doesn't have a problem with it, why do you? (after all its his dept's image, not yours)
Next...This is just another example of why volunteers get discouraged and leave. It is OUR responsibility and duty to TEACH new people the legalities, safety, tactics, and politics of firefighting. Too many people just point fingers and laugh without really understanding what their own purpose is...

"Louis",

Good project...I would like to make a few suggestions (especially after doing a Jeep myself)...

4) another thing I did was route all wiring to the center console and had all switches, scanner, etc. under the armrest. (that way headroom wasn't affected by a "Switchbox" in the ceiling.)

The front hitch is a good idea but make sure you add some shackle points to the frame as well. If you're winching or towing you will use them. (they make great tie-off points)

This is what it looked like when I was done building it out after 3 years of work as funds allowed...I loved it, it went everywhere! I did sell it last year and bought another project...my explorer. If you have any questions or need anything, just PM me or email, I'll try to help ya with yours. Stay safe!
Nice looking XJ! Like the whole 2 tone color going on there! Im not really a fan of the advantedges(look too bulky imho)but it compliments the truck nice!

Thank you! Again, this is what Im after, people that give me suggestions on what to do with unfinished areas! Once again, Thanks mr911 and granprix.

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
Mr911 said:

"Louis",

Is this a serious post? I was waiting for a "JK" but it never came...

cutiger

Jun 11, 2010
SC
JOHN!! They are invading the serious stuff!!!!

Maranos

May 21, 2010
Pacific Northwest, USA
GranPrix said:
Wow, I've been noticing this board is notorious for "worrying" about other people and their "intentions" with their installs. Honestly who gives a crap. It's not my car therefore it's his problem, not mine.

+infinity. unnecessary drama is unnecessary.

ccvrs625

May 26, 2010
Summerville, SC
Grad Prix you took the words out of my mouth it makes me not want to even post pick of my tahoe. A friend put me on to this site and i love it great example, ideas, and installs i hate the negative though if thats what he wants let him have it life is short. I like the install i would just clean up the switch box text maybe a label maker type deal. once again Great install!

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Mr911 said:

"Louis",

What siren speaker did you use, and where did you mount it?

Mr911

Jun 2, 2010
I used 2 TS100 speakers mounted forward-facing underneath the top plate of the extended front bumper. I ran dual sirens, 1` is a Powercall X71 and the other is a Carson SA-361. Everything is controlled through a 6 switch box. See pic below...(pic from my current setup in new truck)

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t151_chief60mac_Explorer_20Pics_CONSOLE3.jpg

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
traumajunkie said:
I understand wanting them to get there asap...but it is still illegal to speed/brake traffic laws in POV. So I don't see how using illegal lighting gets them anywhere besides further from convincing the state to allow code 3 response.

I always hate the "local cops don't mind" so if a local cop personally doesn't mind that I rob someone it is OK to do it? I'm sorry if im causing issues, but so many places volunteers are scrutinized and its always because a few people couldn't follow the rules.
How can you compare stealing to putting Blue and White lights foward for a VF. Yes a Headlight flasher makes ppl move a lot faster. In NJ the law is also Blue but they dont mind if you have Blue and White. Again it depends on the Chief if you can have white. I know one dept the Chief doesnt let so they do Blue Amber to the front.

I think ELB is here to help ppl with their setups and discuss Lights and Sirens not Bash ppl or Be the Police . Leave the policing to the PD not on ELB.

GranPrix

May 23, 2010
FL
No prob. It has gotten to the point where the comments are just beyond obnoxious. You come upon a thread/title that catches your attention, you start reading and enjoying the thread and all of a sudden an impudent, annoying ass polymath comes along and feels the need to throw their weight around on a certain subject in a negative manner which by the way, NO ONE ASKED FOR!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tdi419

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.