2 Whelen lightbar builds

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
Here are two bars I have built and am currently still modifying.
First up the 4 into 1
Started with a liberty frame pull from a junk pile at work. It had feet and the I/O, and was slightly beat up. None the less, it was free.
I did some swapping earlier and landed a mini patriot and I already had the Responder led. With some more swapping I picked up a set of tir6 ambers from another patriot. and landed the original lens set from the frame (Clear) and also bought a used set from a local upfitter for cheap (red). After some extensive cobbling together and rewiring I came up with this. 0808171323.jpg Corner strobes and 6 red CON3 500s up front and corners strobes and 2 amber tir6s out back. The CON3s were stupid bright behind clear lenses, the red lenses helped a little.
The Original plan for the bar was to eventually get 4 more amber tir6s in the rear and led corners and build it back to a liberty, then I got asked to do a radio install which would be paid in a lightbar, a TX DPS Freedom I once owned that I sold to this ambulance squad (which they never used in 4 years of owning it, just scavanged the t/a out of it.) Lightbar can be scene here
. Today I picked up my the bar. After 5 minutes of attempting to get it to light up I realized that most of the lights were unhooked I went ahead and tore the bar down to the bar frame getting rid of the HC I/O and wiring harness. I had already decided, I wanted to do something different, something trick. I had the I/O from the liberty that had the 2 wire T/A and the corner Cruise function niether of which I was using. After a long day of stripping 2 bars, extending wires, and ultimately transplanting the liberty heart into the freedom body I was complete. The bar was installed onto the Hoe.
0808172015.jpg As for the wiring, this is where it gets trick, at least in my eyes.
The corners where wired into the standard spots.
The rear has (6) 6 over 3 400s (red over depopulated amber)
The red were attached to the rear slot on the I/O which will also allow for T/A over ride. The Depopulated ambers were wired to the front slot of the I/O in reverse order from the red. Being there was a wire I originally added for the sync function I wanted to have red and amber alternate in with each other. Here is a quick paint drawing to help until I can get a video
freedom rear.jpg
The front 2 400s are hooked to a ULF44, Steady burn with an alternating override pattern.
The Freedom is done for now go to my Tahoe install thread for more on how the bar is wired up http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/2003-tahoe-fire-pov.38082/. I will post a video of the bar in action with all the features as soon as I am finished rewiring my switch panel. As for the Patriot/liberty, it will be getting reworked for a future install, and I will post more about that as it happens.

Attachments

• 0220171545.jpg
    0220171545.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 0220171545a.jpg
    0220171545a.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 0219171927a.jpg
    0219171927a.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 12

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.