2002 Ford Explorer Light Bar and setup ****Updated videos added****

ssgmyers

Jul 4, 2010
Canton, Ohio
Please let me know what you think.

Light bar is custom bar, 48" (total of 21 tir 3s, clear amber and red)

4 HAW Strobes to rear tail lights

4 Autitex (SP) (red and white) in Grille

4 Autitex (SP) (red and white) in rear window

2 dynamax 100 watt speakers

*****2 Code 3 LED in turn signals****** just added.

*****headlight flasher***** just added

*****Carson 200 watt siren, with mechanical siren***** just added

new video of siren and lights to the front:

please let me know what you think.

I have moved the grille leds to alternate like suggested.

any more suggestions let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Get rid of the white to the rear.

Alternate colors in the grille. Red vs. White.

or swap the position of a red and white

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
ssgmyers said:
As for the rear, those are in back up lights. so get rid of completely?

I believe he was talking primarily about the lights in the back window. Although any bright white light to the rear is generally frowned upon (stock backup lights flashed against the brake lights are the only option that most people can agree on) for safety purposes. A blinded driver is worse than a driver that isn't paying attention.

Farva118

Oct 24, 2010
Indiana
Quentin said:
I like the head light flasher in my 02 explorer. It over powered my lightbar and gave great warning power with stock bulbs.

I agree 100%. I always notice the headlight flashers first on vehicles coming head-on.

Over all, I like this install. Nice, clean and not overdone.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
VolEms said:
In NY we all use white to the rear.

I'm from NY and, like WNYEVS, i've never heard of this

ssgmyers said:
As for the rear, those are in back up lights. so get rid of completely?

what u can do is use amber LAWs to the rear, for example. as you will learn, many of the members on the board are against having clear warning to the rear because it is quite blinding to others at nighttime; amber, red, blue to the rear are preferred.

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
HAW/LAW in your reverse lights is one thing, but having white lightheads to the rear...nah.

And I'm a NY volunteer and I don't know anyone who runs white to the rear. Blue all around.

May 22, 2010
New York City
VolEms said:
Looks good. I would add a Headlight Flasher. In NY we all use white to the rear.

i think he is reffering the the nyc area !! and yes its heavily populated with white to the rear !!!

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Farva118 said:
I agree 100%. I always notice the headlight flashers first on vehicles coming head-on.

Over all, I like this install. Nice, clean and not overdone.
Agree as well!! In my Explorer the HLF is the easiest warning to see!

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
C420sailor said:
HAW/LAW in your reverse lights is one thing, but having white lightheads to the rear...nah.

And I'm a NY volunteer and I don't know anyone who runs white to the rear. Blue all around.
In NYS Red and White are emergency colors. The NYPD uses White to the rear. Now that they can use blue to the rear the newer RMP's have Red/Blue instead of Red/White.

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
N.Y.S. Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 375 Subdivision 41 Paragraphs 1, 2, 3B, 4, 4B and 4C Cover this.

Now I know the law is all about how you interpret it but the way I read it, unless the vehicle is owned by the Fire Department, EMS Dept. or the Police Dept. Your vehicle can not have White lights revolving, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving at all. (See 375 S41 P1 for this)

So to go with what everyone else is saying, change the flashing backup lights.

Other than the above, your install looks very nice.

ssgmyers

Jul 4, 2010
Canton, Ohio
I appreciate all the input. As far as here in Ohio, we can run white tot the rear. I plan on changing the white ones in the rear. And moving them to another location on the vehicle. Maybe side rear windows. I have changed the leds up front and the flash pattern also. I am waiting on a hlf to come in to complete the front end look.

ssgmyers

Jul 4, 2010
Canton, Ohio
Updated videos showing change to the pattern of the bar and addition of the leds to the turn signals. Also moved the leds in grille. I hope people see me........lol

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
Pimp said:
Get rid of the white to the rear.

Alternate colors in the grille. Red vs. White.

or swap the position of a red and white
+1 pimp. if you change the white with amber it would look nicer i think. plus with the grill when u swap em you still get the pazazz and sudden burst of white with the red

Drewstang

May 25, 2010
Louisville, KY
Nice install. What model Carson siren is that?

lifelinemedic

May 21, 2010
Boston, MA
nice install, but HATE the pattern on the lightbar. slow it down, or group different sets of light heads together to flash at once, not so random, it looks like a giant blob of light. not very effective IMO.

otherwise looks great. those are my favorite body style explorers.

backdraft51

Sep 29, 2010
Tennessee
I like it. The heal light flasher on that first video needs to alternate. That flashing at the same time to me is to much. I've always been a fan of explorers.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
lifelinemedic said:
nice install, but HATE the pattern on the lightbar. slow it down, or group different sets of light heads together to flash at once, not so random, it looks like a giant blob of light. not very effective IMO.

otherwise looks great. those are my favorite body style explorers.
Gonna have to agree with that. What makes blinkies effective is a combination of "on" time to add visibility and "off" time to add contrast so it catches the eye quicker. The closer together alternately-flashing lights are, the more they look like a single steady-burning light from far away.

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
Quentin said:
I like the head light flasher in my 02 explorer. It over powered my lightbar and gave great warning power with stock bulbs.
If you put in the SilverStar Ultra High beam bulbs you'd be surprised as to how much brighter they are.

Quentin

May 21, 2010
Lancaster, Nebraska
elite907 said:
If you put in the SilverStar Ultra High beam bulbs you'd be surprised as to how much brighter they are.

that's what i have in my Ranger right now with a HLF. only wish it was like the Explorer with separate housing for the high beams

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
elite907 said:

And with how long they (don't) last. They tell you on the box that they burn out quickly.

ssgmyers

Jul 4, 2010
Canton, Ohio
The siren is the carson series SA-500m Cruiser with Mech Tone. Got it on hear for great price. Really loud and moves traffic. It is 200 watts. Later today i am going to update the videos. I have added 2 illuminator sticks that i got from LedGuy on here. Also changed the light bar pattern. I agree it was to busy. Last thing I need to do is figure out how to hook up my hlf. Then I should be done.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.