2002 Silverado w/Liberty - Updated, Work in Progress

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
I've updated the setup by a huge amount. It isn't anything close to what it used to be. Here's the current setup:

• Liberty SX8RRRR, clear "takedowns", and custom rear warning setup (see pics)
  • Go Rhino push bumper with custom-made 6-head, Red LIN3 Dominator
  • Red/Clear Vertexes in DRL housings
  • Red/Clear LINZ6s on push bumper sides
  • Clear Vertexes in the front corner housings
  • Red LIN3s in rear side windows
  • Red Vertexes in taillights

Currently, I still have it all controlled with a Code 3 V-Con, but plan to replace that with a Whelen 295SLSA6, and supplement it with an Alpha 12Q (yes, the old version) for a "mechanical momentary" that will be controlled with a foot switch. There's also plans to add a Howler at some point.

Nothing has been done on the interior that's worth looking at, but I'll post shots of the wiring after I get back from Hawaii. I have a fiberglass console being made for me at the moment by someone who is very, very good at that stuff, and once it's done, it'll be replacing the factory console/seat that's in there now. I'll be mounting my Radio Shack Pro-197 digital scanner, the 295, and some other miscellaneous stuff in the console once it's done (using Havis parts), and I plan to take pics during the install process.

Here's some shots for ya'll to gawk at. I'm working on video, and it should be up tonight or tomorrow.

abrandonworf.com_stuff_silverado_front_composite.jpg

abrandonworf.com_stuff_silverado_front_offset_composite.jpg

abrandonworf.com_stuff_silverado_rear_composite.jpg

abrandonworf.com_stuff_silverado_side_closeup.jpg

Video:

The Liberty is the product of a special order demo bar. The TIR3s in the back are mounted to a custom-made bracket produced by Whelen, and all are hooked up to the rear portion of the I/O board; the red LIN6s between the TIR3s and the rear corners are hooked to the auxiliary port on the I/O board. Everything else is setup as normal (if you can call using two white LIN6s for takedowns "normal"). T/A is on two-wire control. I plan to replace the alleys with LR11s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
love me some HDR imaging!

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
I ran out of red filters, hence the amber to the front. ;P

I'll have it changed hopefully next week.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Very nice! Not too much, not too little, and not too much reliance on LEDs. And that triple-exposure is :shock: awesome.

One option possibly worth considering is either removing the amber filter in front or getting a clear one, so you can have red and white flashers in front. I do like the amber like that though (don't ask me why, it might make you mad) :lol:

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
nerdly_dood said:
Very nice! Not too much, not too little, and not too much reliance on LEDs. And that triple-exposure is :shock: awesome.

One option possibly worth considering is either removing the amber filter in front or getting a clear one, so you can have red and white flashers in front. I do like the amber like that though (don't ask me why, it might make you mad) :lol:

Yeahhhhhhhhhh, the amber's coming out as soon as I get a new batch of filters in, and the rotators to the rear will be red/amber/red/amber/red, with clears to the front as seen here. >_> <_<

LED's are nice, but I find that some people can get complacent with them, even though they're inherently brighter, more efficient, and more easily recognizable than halogens or strobes.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
What do you use this for? Im near wichita and i know we don't allow firefighters to deck out their pov's but then again you are in Garden City.

tcfd_mafia

May 26, 2010
Have Mr. Simpson dig up some old photos of that ugly baby blue S-15 Blazer with an MX on top of it. That should be fun to reminisce about.

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
Looks great! I'm getting an MX bar for my truck, but it is a 4 section. I'm hoping it isn't too big, your 3 section looks good. I'd love to see a video!

Dan

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
SBFD-E-9 said:
Looks great! I'm getting an MX bar for my truck, but it is a 4 section. I'm hoping it isn't too big, your 3 section looks good. I'd love to see a video!

Dan

You might try a 3-section 52" MX. I'm certain the 58" four-section you're referring to is gonna be too long for the roof of your truck.

Fast LT1 said:
What do you use this for? Im near wichita and i know we don't allow firefighters to deck out their pov's but then again you are in Garden City.

I do Holcomb/Finney County Fire/EMS. I don't run many medicals, but do assist on some vehicle extrication runs once in awhile. It varies by the area. Chris (Simpson) lives up in Leavenworth, and some of the township departments allow it, and some don't. Out here, in the surrounding counties, most allow it provided you have a permit signed by the Sheriff.

tcfd_mafia said:
Have Mr. Simpson dig up some old photos of that ugly baby blue S-15 Blazer with an MX on top of it. That should be fun to reminisce about.

Egad! That thing was OLD. I recall installing a speaker on that when I was a sophomore in high school (circa 2000), and slicing the crap out of my left index finger in the process (splitting two-conductor insulated jacketed wiring with a knife is a bad idea). I'm not sure if he has any pics of it, but I'll have to ask.

Light.jpg

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
asweezy said:
GASP is that a HAlogen Rotator BAR You mean to tell me people dont need to spend 4000 on a light bar and those still work?!?!?!?

Bahahahaha! :lol:

I even have TAIL STROBES instead of hideaway LEDs! D: D: D:

Bad thing about the MX: it sucked what decent highway fuel mileage I had (22-25mpg) into the teens (about 18), and even worse if there's a head wind (although a serious cornering or side wind destroyed my mileage without the bar anyway, so I guess it's a minimal thing in the end).

Video should be up sometime this week.

Chris Simpson

May 30, 2010
Leavenworth, Kansas
tcfd_mafia... I couldn't find the pic of the s-10 with the MX7000 on it but I did find it with my mini edge when I was in Ill. and my 88 s-10 that i was running up here in Leavenworth... enjoy...

ai237.photobucket.com_albums_ff150_firefighter_102_s_10.jpg

ai237.photobucket.com_albums_ff150_firefighter_102_88s_10.jpg

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Chris Simpson said:
tcfd_mafia... I couldn't find the pic of the s-10 with the MX7000 on it but I did find it with my mini edge when I was in Ill. and my 88 s-10 that i was running up here in Leavenworth... enjoy...

ai237.photobucket.com_albums_ff150_firefighter_102_s_10.jpg

ai237.photobucket.com_albums_ff150_firefighter_102_88s_10.jpg

Egad! I remember those vehicles... :lol:

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Videos will be coming up tomorrow. In full HD at that. Dad's camera is newer than mine, and has more bells and whistles on it. ;P

Also, the MX7000 will be getting switched out for a 10-head Liberty with a specialized TIR3 amber arrowstick on the back (6-head). Should be interesting to see all that in action.

I also plan to add the following:

-Setina push bumper

-Two pairs of red or red/clear LINZ6s on the push bumper (or move the TIR6s to the front)

-1 pair of LINZ6s (red) to the rear passenger windows in the cab to act as side lights

-Whelen Cencom Gold

-Whelen Howler

-Havis Console

-MNstar wiring harness (MAYBE...if we have any basic stock ones left in the shop)

-A few pairs of Whelen Vertexs placed at interesting spots around the truck (license plates, bed, etc.).

I've been toying around with the idea of recessing some Vertexs and/or LINZ6s in the plastic trim that runs the top of the tailgate, as there's plenty of room to do it.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
I've managed to update the bar and get a nice composite shot.

silverado-front-composite-small.jpg

Liberty has halogen takedowns to the front for now, but I have plans to replace those with either LR11s and get another center Red/Red 500, or replace them with 500-series high-intensity takedowns (the TIR-style heads). The Amber corners will be replaced soon enough with Red LIN12s (these are LIN9 economy heads), and the clear heads may get replaced with some red LIN6s (but I'm not sure yet). The rear of the bar has two red LIN6s, and a six-head TIR3 style traffic advisor (I'll have pics to explain as soon as I can get a composite made up).

The TIR6s on the front grille are going to be replaced sometime this week or next with Red/Clear LINZ6s, and will likely be used for side warning inside the cab.

I have tail strobes, which will be replaced with Vertexs ASAP, and I'll be adding a set of amber vertexes in the rear turn signal lights; a pair of LIN3s (red) will be going in the rear lower window. I may also be adding a pair of 500 series LIN6s as Mirror Beams as soon as I can get housings for them (eBay!).

Yes, overkill, but it's for demo purposes only at this point.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
This is probably my favorite truck on this whole site! Oh and PM inbound!

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
SBFD-E-9 said:

Dan

I have a 58 inch mx bar on my full size truck and it looks good

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
I got my red/clear split LINZ6s in the mail this weekend, along with some red LIN3s last week. I also have a batch of red LIN6 500 series heads coming soon (some of which will be for sale here), and a pair of those will likely go either on the mirrors as Mirror Beams, or will go inside the front windshield as Inner Beams, depending on how I can mount them.

The LINZ6s are replacing the TIR6s on the grille, and the LIN3s are going either in the back window or on the rear of the truck between the tailgate and the bumper.

I also have plans for the interior. I'm constructing a mock-up console out of cardboard to use as a reference when I finally make it out of carbon fiber. :cool:

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Today, Chris and I replaced the TIR6s with the red/clear LINZ6s on the front grille, and ended up putting a pair of 500 series LIN6s in the Liberty where the takedowns are, and rearranged the heads to make them a little more clear. I think I'll end up rewiring things to put the clear heads as flashing takedowns, and then eventually get red corners. Next project: install a headlight flasher (Whelen UHF2150A), mount the LIN3s in the side windows, and maybe find something to go in the rear window.

Also have a pair of red Vertexes coming for the taillights.

Last edited by a moderator:

NVFD612

May 25, 2010
Indiana
factorone33,

I like the way the truck turned out with the Liberty. I am partrial to the MX myself, however it isn't my truck... How did the install go on the interior? i am curious to find out hwo you have things currently set up and hwre you are going from here.

I see from your last post you are fabricating a console did the havis not work out? Plus I can't wait to hear how your Howler is working for you.

Dennis

resQyou

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
resQyou said:
factorone33,

I like the way the truck turned out with the Liberty. I am partrial to the MX myself, however it isn't my truck... How did the install go on the interior? i am curious to find out hwo you have things currently set up and hwre you are going from here.

I see from your last post you are fabricating a console did the havis not work out? Plus I can't wait to hear how your Howler is working for you.

Dennis

resQyou

Well, I considered doing the Havis one, but I wanted to go with a more custom look, hence the idea to fabricate one out of carbon fiber (my brother-in-law is really good with molding that stuff).

Currently, I'm running it all off of the V-Con, so there isn't much internally to gawk at (yet), but that'll change once the console is in and I have a scanner and other stuff to put in it. I intend to consolidate some of the wiring into one central harness.

The Howlers are AWESOME. I got a chance to use one on a demo vehicle a few weeks back, and those things are unbelievably effective. I'd say they give the Federal Rumblers a shellacking, but maybe I'm just partial. There's room to mount one in mine, but that's a toy I may have to wait on until I can afford it (they run about $600 after brackets and wiring).

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Updated the project with new pics, and will be adding video very soon. Plans are to add some IONs between the tailgate and the rear bumper, a pair of Westin stainless steel nerf bars on the sides, and some red/amber split Vertexes in the back-up lights.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
hawkspringsfire said:
Really nice looking install. I love how the LIN3s look in the D6. I might have to do that with my D8.

Thanks. That's actually a complete custom job. I'll have to take some pics of it when I take it off to install the speakers and par 36 lights. It's basically six LIN3s in individual flanges mounted to a piece of angle aluminum, and wired up to a D6 flasher unit. Then the whole thing was bolted to the bottom side of the push bumper. Everything was heat-shrinked and loomed, then taped on top of that, and the flasher itself sits up under the hood and out of the elements.

jersey1721

Mar 6, 2011
on the river
hey can u give me a list of everything uve got in and on the truck and the final price on the package i love it and i want to out it on my 2011 silverado. :popcorn: :crazy: :eek: :hail:

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
jersey1721 said:
hey can u give me a list of everything uve got in and on the truck and the final price on the package i love it and i want to out it on my 2011 silverado. :popcorn: :crazy: :eek: :hail:

I can give you a list of everything that's on it...but prices are kinda sketchy, since I bought most of it used. And I haven't really kept track of it (I guess you could look up retail prices on Whelen's website, but honestly, why do that when you can buy most of it online here for far cheaper?).

The list:

• Liberty SX8RRRR, clear "takedowns", and custom rear warning setup (see pics)
  • Go Rhino push bumper with custom-made 6-head, Red LIN3 Dominator
  • Red/Clear Vertexes in DRL housings
  • Red/Clear LINZ6s on push bumper sides
  • Clear Vertexes in the front corner housings
  • Red LIN3s in rear side windows
  • Red Vertexes in taillights

Again, as I've stated in other posts, there's more to come, so just keep your eyes open. ;)

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
Beautiful truck! The only thing I would change about it, is have the windows tinted. (if that is legal in your state of course) I think window tint makes every vehicle look better, plus a bit more privacy. Just my .02! Anyway, beautiful truck... :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.