2004 Chevy Silverado ILB brackets

extrabigjon

Dec 20, 2021
Nebraska
Looking for help on mounting a Strobes N' More E68 T/A on the rear window of a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado extended cab. Don't want to damage the headliner as it was recently redone. This is my first time purchasing anything like this. Unfortunately, the box was ripped open in shipping and a lot of the contents were lost. The only items that arrived in the box were the T/A itself and manual page. It's been a real struggle with Strobes N' More to find out what I'm missing and then to get it replaced.

extrabigjon

Dec 20, 2021
Nebraska
A little update, took the lazy route and had an emergency vehicle upfitter put it in. Picked the truck up after hours tonight and all I can say is WOW, Kids, NEVER take the lazy route.

extrabigjon

Dec 20, 2021
Nebraska
Were there issues?
Yes, I will refrain from going into detail until l talk to them though. It would not be fair otherwise. This business was highly recommended to me by the stereo/remote start installer I usually used. Interior light bars are just not their thing. Took my truck and equipment to the upfitter to get a quote. While discussing the install I got the feeling they were very knowledgeable and professional, I was at the right place. Later, looking over there social media confirmed I was in good hands.

Reactions: Tony P

extrabigjon

Dec 20, 2021
Nebraska
The shiny new black split loom, relay, fuse holder and add a fuse tap is related to the light bar install.

Attachments

• wiring.JPEG
    wiring.JPEG
    183.4 KB · Views: 21

extrabigjon

Dec 20, 2021
Nebraska
I was told the only way to get a bar mounted without damaging the headliner was to buy all new whelen. Thankfully for me they are a dealer. They could possibly get some vehicle specific brackets then. Still unsure how this will be resolved, it's a bit of an expense to just walk away from. Then I still have to fix everything. Hopefully, my now nonworking keyless entry/remote start will be something simple. The crew at Autosounds of Lincoln have always been easy to work with.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
I was told the only way to get a bar mounted without damaging the headliner was to buy all new whelen. Thankfully for me they are a dealer. They could possibly get some vehicle specific brackets then. Still unsure how this will be resolved, it's a bit of an expense to just walk away from. Then I still have to fix everything. Hopefully, my now nonworking keyless entry/remote start will be something simple. The crew at Autosounds of Lincoln have always been easy to work with.
You can make brackets if you take your time. You still need to drop the headliner in the back, and bolt in the same way that they did, you just make the brackets bend around the headliner. Also it helps to wear gloves when working with a light colored headliner like that.

Reactions: Tony P and Dave F

extrabigjon

Dec 20, 2021
Nebraska
Stopped by the installer today to see how this will be resolved. Some positive news is they are replacing the headliner. Fixed the passenger grab handle that was attached to the headliner only and not the roof. Installed the drivers A pillar trim correctly, no idea how they put it in wrong. Not sure if they will be able to mount the light bar though. I got the feeling they only do bolt on parts and can't/won't make a custom bracket. Perhaps something from whelen would work since my bar is very close in height, depth and has a rear mounting rail like a dominator 8 head. Unclear how my now broken keyless entry/remote start will get fixed. Thankfully the receptionist, a very kind lady, spoke up and mentioned it worked for her when I dropped the truck off. Never realized how much of a pain it is to use keys to unlock a vehicle and at 2 degrees this morning remote start would be nice too.

Reactions: fp13-2 and Tony P

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Unclear how my now broken keyless entry/remote start will get fixed. Thankfully the receptionist, a very kind lady, spoke up and mentioned it worked for her when I dropped the truck off. Never realized how much of a pain it is to use keys to unlock a vehicle and at 2 degrees this morning remote start would be nice too.
I would bet that they were poking around for some power, or when running the power wires through the firewall, and popped a fuse, or unhooked a wire. Look around under your dash near the steering column. Your remote start equipment is probably under there. Check fuses, grounds, and look for any other wiring that might look out of place.

extrabigjon

Dec 20, 2021
Nebraska
Had the remote start shop look it over but it will take more time than originally planned to get everything figured out. We were hopeful for a quick and easy fix. It’s a viper system and the brain box is good. A temporary new antenna wire, antenna and one way remote makes it work. My original two way remote won’t talk to the truck though. Didn’t think about bringing my one way remote along because I never use it. The one way is far to easy to activate in my pocket. I started the truck like three times the first night and haven’t used that one since. They will get it figured out, these guys are very good at what they do.

extrabigjon

Dec 20, 2021
Nebraska
While I was at the upfitter, A1 Automotive In Lincoln, NE, trying to figure how this will be resolved a few days ago. I expressed my concern about the under hood wiring, One item was the power wire ran above the fender brace, it gets pinched when the hood is closed. This was rerouted. Another issue was the fuse holder didn't look very weatherproof to me. I'm used to the red rubber molded ones with a sealed cap to keep the elements out. I was reassured this was good and it's what they used on all their police vehicles. Fair enough, I then pointed out it looked like the one that was originally on my controller. I was concerned that if the original was cut off that may effect the warranty from the manufacture. Again I was reassured that didn't happen and now I have two fuses.

Today I just couldn't shake the feeling I was being lied to. You know, when someone is peeing on your leg and says it's raining. I pulled the overhead console down to have a peak. Sure enough they cut the fuse off and put it under the hood and I don't have two fuses.

Attachments

• D0FAFE54-6A1D-4C9E-904D-A609ED5AB34D.jpeg
    D0FAFE54-6A1D-4C9E-904D-A609ED5AB34D.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 7B85576C-59F5-4A72-A4B3-2FB3B8C11497.jpeg
    7B85576C-59F5-4A72-A4B3-2FB3B8C11497.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Wow

extrabigjon

Dec 20, 2021
Nebraska
Should probably point out that I mounted the controller into the overhead console before taking it to the upfitter. Did this to try and save some on the install so my cost was about $500. Don’t want to confuse my work with theirs. Though the greasy finger prints and wiring are not mine.
2ACE036C-5666-48BE-B5F2-D4CD019AF8BD.jpeg
Contacted Strobes N’ More today and they confirmed the fuse holder is not weather proof. I think the warranty is still good, as long as there is enough wire to test the controller if it needs to be sent in.

extrabigjon

Dec 20, 2021
Nebraska
Got the brackets done and the bar is remounted. It’s my first attempt and with the headliner bent I hope it will work once replaced. Removed all the fuse tap wiring mess and purchased the SEO connector from GM for the MBEC for Powered Accessories. Still waiting on the new headliner though. Flashback is lessened but the window has a slight angle to it and bleeds out the bottom. Would like to seal it up somehow.

Attachments

• 028D2072-0566-43BC-8986-DDCFB14C947D.jpeg
    028D2072-0566-43BC-8986-DDCFB14C947D.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 12D47AA4-A945-4678-8EDE-FDA627B9B2F0.jpeg
    12D47AA4-A945-4678-8EDE-FDA627B9B2F0.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 10
  • 5A3C4DAE-AA24-41AD-BEEF-A918F1A9262F.jpeg
    5A3C4DAE-AA24-41AD-BEEF-A918F1A9262F.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 10

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.