2005 Crown Vic POV/Off Duty car and also Feniex Olympian siren tone demo

lpd655

May 24, 2010
Lexington, TX
This is my 2005 Crown Vic that I use for off duty work. I have the following equipment in the car

Whelen Liberty

2 X Whelen Slimmiser R/B

Single white talon

1 Red / 1 Blue LED Grille light

Sound Off Strobes in front corner lamps

R/B Whelen CHMSL

1 Red / 1 Blue TIR 3

Whelen 690 Strobes in Tail Lights and Reverse Lights

Feniex Olympian

Jotto Desk AK12 Console

Stalker Dual Radar

Mobile Vision Camera System

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Love the license plate!

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
lpd655 said:
2 X Whelen Slimmiser R/B

1 Red / 1 Blue LED Grille light

R/B Whelen CHMSL

1 Red / 1 Blue TIR 3
I thought Texas was a no-go for R/B on POVs, or was I misinformed? I know it's like that here in PA if the POV is designated as an Emergency Vehicle by the PSP (main way)

lpd655 said:
I am downloading to youtube right now... 30 min left!
Uploading to YouTube

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
In Texas, an emergency vehicle, even POV is allowed red & blue. In PA, PSP assigns red light permits on request from certain officials, which allows for red/clear/amber. I also know that some fire police agencies allow any red light holders to mix in blue with red, although I've only ever seen it to the rear. Whether this is legal or not (it's not), is irrelevant. The cops usually aren't going to be writing tickets to guys who allow them to free up from blocking a road to do something else (or even relax).

One of the paramedics that used to work at my EMS agency had a Mini-Phantom in his Ram. It is red and blue. Not surprisingly, he still has Texas tags on his truck.

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania

kparr5

Sep 15, 2011
US/Kansas
I owned a speedtech light siren before upgrading to whelen. I would regonize those crappy tones anywhere!!! The Olympain sounds the same, no offense your set up is nice, just the tones suck.

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Well, the enforcement issue is one of strange means. Yes, it is in the state code, however, it is well known that only PSP will enforce the blue light laws, as well as anything to do with red light laws. While reading the blue light law, one gets the clear impression that the device they refer to as a "lightbar" is an old Dietz or Federal bar, which is no longer made. One of our representatives brought a change before the state house, but lost his spine at the last second and pulled it.

Remember, Philly is stuck in the 80's, Pittsburgh is stuck in the 70's, and the rest of the state, including Harrisburg, is mired somewhere between 1921 and 1964, depending on locality. It's no surprise that the laws reflect this.

The laws are also wonky. A pure read-through of the law would give the impression that any vehicle used by (police, fire, fire police, sheriff, etc.) would be eligible for red/blue combination, not simply department owned vehicles, as some think. The language is ambiguous. It is because of all these factors that the locals don't care.

Hell, the police chief in my borough has red & blue lights and a siren on his POV.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
What does 10-78 mean in Texas? Here, it is Need Assistance (in a major way). If you say it in my county, you get city, county, troopers, DNR, and pretty much anyone else with a badge and a gun coming to you in a hurry.

lpd655

May 24, 2010
Lexington, TX
RL1 said:
What does 10-78 mean in Texas? Here, it is Need Assistance (in a major way). If you say it in my county, you get city, county, troopers, DNR, and pretty much anyone else with a badge and a gun coming to you in a hurry.

yes the plate I have is a police officer memorial for fallen officers and 10-78 is officer needs assistance. thought it was a good plate to get!

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Very nicely done!

What are you using for radio(s), if any?

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
lpd655 said:
...10-78 is officer needs assistance...

I love regional differences. Here it used to be 'everything OK'. Now i think it's a drunk... or a dead animal or something.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Great looking install. Very tasteful!

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Texas is not like the other states that have restrictions on lights or what a POV can or cannot use its basicly up to the Fire Chief or Police Chief to decide what he wants to run Texas Law does not say anything about a fire truck or police car having to run Blue or amber all it says is they must run Red in some form or way and visible within 360 degrees. I run Red/Blue/White on my POV and i remember i also ran an ALL BLUE dashlight in Texas once it dosent really matter down here.

GTRider245

Jun 12, 2010
Georgia
I don't understand the need for a full roof mounted lightbar as well as full uper level dash warning. Seems a bit much. And that siren is horrible. Looks good other than that.

lpd655

May 24, 2010
Lexington, TX
theolog said:
I gotta ask...how much use does that Stalker get in an off-duty POV? :razz:

that stalker gets a lot of use in my pov... If I am on my way to work somwhere or headed home and I see sombody speeding at a crazy speed I will stop them! I am a texas peace officer :)

lpd655

May 24, 2010
Lexington, TX
GTRider245 said:
I don't understand the need for a full roof mounted lightbar as well as full uper level dash warning. Seems a bit much. And that siren is horrible. Looks good other than that.

it started out without the lightbar and I just stuck it on there the other day.. I agree the bar + interior upper lights is a little much and if I am using the bar I usually don't run the upper lights at the same time.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
I don't think some of these out-of-state folks realize we can/do use our TX POV LEO cars just like we can use agency owned cars - and in many areas in TX we use our POVs as on-duty cars also, hence radar, weapons, cages/partitions, computers, radios, video, etc are often part of the TX LEO POV packages.

PS: the lightbar looks good!

HillRock

Jun 30, 2010
Boston, Mass.
Retired1 said:
I don't think some of these out-of-state folks realize we can/do use our TX POV LEO cars just like we can use agency owned cars - and in many areas in TX we use our POVs as on-duty cars also, hence radar, weapons, cages/partitions, computers, radios, video, etc are often part of the TX LEO POV packages.

PS: the lightbar looks good!

Thats awesome, alot of LEOs in Mass. have a hard time just getting a blue light permit (Blue is LEO only color)

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
HillRock said:
Thats awesome, alot of LEOs in Mass. have a hard time just getting a blue light permit (Blue is LEO only color)

+1. It took my town a lot of years and a new police chief for the officers to starting being able to get blue light permits.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.