2005 Ford Explorer Chiefs Vehicle (Ultimate Fire Hazard saved and fixed by WNYEVS)

WNYEVS

May 21, 2010
Brockport NY
The following pictures and videos are from 1 of the 4 vehicles we are doing for my Fire Department.

You can see the before pictures Here. All 4 vehicles we are re-doing, looked like that. We still have one left to do. The Lightbar, Grille Lights and corner strobes were not installed by us. They were installed by the jerk that did the crappy wiring job. I also had nothing to do with the wood cabinet.

We also threw in a few items for this Chief. We installed a 32" Microman Industries Arrowstick (RAAAAR) with Blue Flashing ends. We also installed 2 Soundoff Ghosts (one Red one Blue) on the inside of the rear hatch.

My Buddy / Business Partner made custom brackets to hold the equipment for the front console. It sure looks a lot better than the Home Depot/Lowes "L Bracket Erector Set".

Here is how things work. When the rear hatch is closed, the front CDM1250, arrowstick and flashing ends on the arrowstick are all operational. The rear CDM1250 and Soundoff Ghosts remain off. When the rear hatch is opened the rear CDM1250 and Soundoff Ghosts turn on. The arrowstick, flashing ends on the arrowstick and front CDM1250 all turn off (to prevent being blinded by the arrowstick and deafened by feedback from the other radio).

Now for the eye candy.

ai995.photobucket.com_albums_af80_wnyevs_1000000344.jpg

ai995.photobucket.com_albums_af80_wnyevs_1000000345.jpg

ai995.photobucket.com_albums_af80_wnyevs_1000000346.jpg

ai995.photobucket.com_albums_af80_wnyevs_1000000347.jpg

ai995.photobucket.com_albums_af80_wnyevs_1000000348.jpg

ai995.photobucket.com_albums_af80_wnyevs_1000000349.jpg

ai995.photobucket.com_albums_af80_wnyevs_1000000350.jpg

This is the Distribution Board somewhat laid out.

ai995.photobucket.com_albums_af80_wnyevs_1000000351.jpg

The final board (still need to do some zip tying).

ai995.photobucket.com_albums_af80_wnyevs_1000000352.jpg

WNYEVS

May 21, 2010
Brockport NY
stfd1911 said:
I really like the hatch setup...how did you get it to operate like that?..like to have a setup like that on my tonneau cover on my truck

There is a Magnet Switch installed at the hinge of the hatch.

ai995.photobucket.com_albums_af80_wnyevs_0331001143d.jpg

There is 12v going through the switch which goes to the trigger side of the relay which in turn, controls the relay. I have paper drawings of how I did things. Its hard to explain.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I love how you got the rear light switch set up

asweezy

May 20, 2010
Wellsville, NY
So why the 2 CDMs? You could just wire up a mic and speaker with volume controll to the front one. I can't imagine that they change channels on scene that much do they? I know its what customer wanted just seems like a waste of money. Even a dual head kit would have been cheaper than the second radio. You did a great job with the magnet switch though very nice.

WNYEVS

May 21, 2010
Brockport NY
asweezy said:
So why the 2 CDMs? You could just wire up a mic and speaker with volume controll to the front one. I can't imagine that they change channels on scene that much do they? I know its what customer wanted just seems like a waste of money. Even a dual head kit would have been cheaper than the second radio. You did a great job with the magnet switch though very nice.

The only reason they went with 2 in the trucks is they had those radios sitting in the office. The other guy who use to do their installs, refused to put them in. They sat there for about 2 years or so before I got to them.

upfitter

May 26, 2010
nyc
just a question ? y not go to oem door pin switch instead of putting in mags on dbbl stick that might melt or dry up & fall off?

SSgt Elmer

May 21, 2010
NE WI, USA
Awesome idea on the hatch, that is really cool. I think the microman's pattern should be slowed down, it's in full on seizure mode right now.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
upfitter said:
just a question ? y not go to oem door pin switch instead of putting in mags on dbbl stick that might melt or dry up & fall off?

I've wondered the same thing on many installs, including some that have used mercury switches!

WNYEVS

May 21, 2010
Brockport NY
In Reply to your post #81415

upfitter said:

First off, nice typing. Pls tel mi u used @ c311ph0ne!

We added the second switch because at the time when we installe the radios, there was still the shitty installation in place by the other person. We wanted all of our stuff on a complete separate system.

He had rear hatch lights hooked to the dome lights on some trucks and the hatch trigger sense on others. One did have a mercury switch but it was electrical taped to the defroster wire and everytime the chief hit a bump, the light would turn on. All the rear dome light lenses melted on all 4 vehicles.

And those magnet switches aren't moving. The one picture was taken before the switches were screwed in place. Each one is also sealed with silicone to prevent water penitration.

hfd163

May 20, 2010
Rochester, New York
This same person is doing out Chief's POV right now. I could only watch for like 5 mins before I became sick. tons and tons wire. He is using enough for a bus and it is a small pick up truck :(

WNYEVS

May 21, 2010
Brockport NY
hfd163 said:
This same person is doing out Chief's POV right now. I could only watch for like 5 mins before I became sick. tons and tons wire. He is using enough for a bus and it is a small pick up truck :(

Probably the same dude. Does he drive a white van?

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
hfd163 said:
Yes and his name starts with a L last is V lol
Just because he's been doing it for a long time does not mean he knows how to do it right. :(

Carl, get your business cards out there fast!

WNYEVS

May 21, 2010
Brockport NY
Steve0625 said:
Just because he's been doing it for a long time does not mean he knows how to do it right. :(

Carl, get your business cards out there fast!

I'm trying Steve! I've sent things in the mail, posted on the Orleans & Genesee Fire Wires (Scott Elman refuses to return my emails about me PAYING HIM MONEY to advertise on his firewire for Monroe County).

I just gotta keep up the good work on the little jobs and hope that word of mouth takes off!

hfd163

May 20, 2010
Rochester, New York
WNYEVS said:
I'm trying Steve! I've sent things in the mail, posted on the Orleans & Genesee Fire Wires (Scott Elman refuses to return my emails about me PAYING HIM MONEY to advertise on his firewire for Monroe County).

I just gotta keep up the good work on the little jobs and hope that word of mouth takes off!

If you want to, mail me your info and I can get it to the right people in my Department. Your dept is not the only one who has problems with im :)

shott8283

Jun 2, 2010
Western NY
WNYEVS said:

I just gotta keep up the good work on the little jobs and hope that WORD OF MOUTH takes off!

thats the number one best form of advertisement!! nice work buddy!

ill catch you on the 45.88 sometime

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
How are you getting that magnet switch to turn off the other lights and front radio?

WNYEVS

May 21, 2010
Brockport NY
Bigredinstalls said:
How are you getting that magnet switch to turn off the other lights and front radio?

12v being switched by the magnet which in turn, triggers the relays.

Mr911 said:
Very nice work...Great fabrication job in the console. I would love to see a video of the whole vehicle if possible.

Thank you. I will get a video soon. I have to install a remote starter in the same truck this week so I will do it then.

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
asweezy said:
The fact you ask this sort of question and yet claim to be a "Professional Upfitter" is why many of us are in buisness. Yes you can use a standard 5 pin relay to acomplish this. More info here. http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/relay_basics.htm

Just a simple question, no reason to go on the offensinve. Im here to learn, so i ask questions about how these things work. Thanks for the link though, i appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.