dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
ai684.photobucket.com_albums_vv204_dmathieu51_S6301012.jpg

ai684.photobucket.com_albums_vv204_dmathieu51_S6301013.jpg

ai684.photobucket.com_albums_vv204_dmathieu51_S6301008.jpg

ai684.photobucket.com_albums_vv204_dmathieu51_S6301010.jpg

F250 with Whelen L31 LED360, and Whelen switch panel.

Switches, from left to right, control 1)Beacon on/off

2)Cruise light on/off

3)Low power enable

4)Beacon pattern selection, and Cruise light intensity choices

3rd picture shows cruise light in it's highest of 4 intensities, almost as bright as if beacon had a steady burn mode.

Dan

I do believe I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry. :oops:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
SlickSilveradoZ71 said:
Looks nice. I would have put the switches in the small cubby hole/storage area where the Ford outfitter switches are typically located. Other than that it looks very clean.
Switches are much bigger than the opning of the cubby hole. Picture is deceving.

Dan

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Those are great beacons, I think you would have gotten a little better intensity if you would have went with a clear lens though....

norcalbusa

May 23, 2010
California
I would be afraid of cutting my leg/pants on the corner of that switch plate- especially in an accident when you/passenger would get all tossed about. Why not do the factory 4-toggle array? It plugs right in, flush in the dash and is much more stylish I think...

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
norcalbusa said:
I would be afraid of cutting my leg/pants on the corner of that switch plate- especially in an accident when you/passenger would get all tossed about. Why not do the factory 4-toggle array? It plugs right in, flush in the dash and is much more stylish I think...
This is actually a Whelen factory switch panel. I see your concern. The corners are somewhat rounded off, it's not as close to my leg as it might look. It's actually well away. The "L" shaped bracket is velcroed to the underside of the dash so it will break away fairly easily. Hopefully with seatbelts, it won't come in to play. I thought about the Ford factory upfitter switches, but I needed one of the switches to be Momentary for pattern changes. If I tried to change/match upfitter switches, then cost becomes more than I would pay. But you're right, much more stylish!

Dan

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
from what i gather for the beacon to meet sae specs it needed the color lens

not bad personally i would have not wasted money on the whelen switches

nice job anyway (does look like a napa truck)

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
kitn1mcc said:
from what i gather for the beacon to meet sae specs it needed the color lens

not bad personally i would have not wasted money on the whelen switches

nice job anyway (does look like a napa truck)
I didn't know that!

Got a super deal on the switches. $30

You mean with the little yellow Hat? :shock:

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
dmathieu said:
You mean with the little yellow Hat? :shock:

thats what we used to call it when you put a single super strobe on the roof and the L31 kinda of look like s super strobe

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Good job on the switches but they are definitely overkill. I don't think you really needed a cruise light and the pattern selector.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Got-em, Might as well use-em! (both the features and the switches). The cruise light is only used when the beacon is flashing at night, not when the beacon is not flashing. The beacon is never dark. Seems to make it easier on the eyes, IMO.

Dan

BlueLineEnt

May 23, 2010
Danvers, MA
Nice, clean professional install! Plowing in the granite state I see by your inspection sticker. Lets hope we get a good winter here in the northeast.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I wouldnt call mounting 1 single light an "install" per se. Thats like saying putting a light on the dash is an "install."

Love the truck though!

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
FireEMSPolice said:
I wouldnt call mounting 1 single light an "install" per se. Thats like saying putting a light on the dash is an "install."

Love the truck though!

First off let me say I've never seen such a thread full of insults.

FireEMSPolice, you've got to be kidding me when first you say this isn't an install, and secondly you compare this install to that of pulling out an out of package beacon/light with a cigarette plug and putting it on the dash.

We'll let's see, opening a box and carrying it to your vehicle, versus opening a package, measuring, drilling, mounting, wiring, repeating the same for the dash mounted switch panel.

You see a difference, I certainly do thus "install; a lot more work goes into the above mounted permanently mounted L31 versus an open box package plug & play set-up (dash light).

Give the guy his due !

Dmathieu, kudos to you on the install and wiring. It looks clean and respectful for a business on wheels.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
FireEMSPolice said:

Love the truck though!

If its hardwired its an install! Thank you for posting it . I was looking for a L31 mounted to see how it looks.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
I like it. I like it, even if it is not hardwired. I appreciate it being posted!

The original post is some months old. Have you had a chance to use it?

Terry

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Retired1 said:
I like it. I like it, even if it is not hardwired. I appreciate it being posted!

The original post is some months old. Have you had a chance to use it?

Terry

This is hard wired, and works excellent in all respects. There have been no problems.

Thanks, everyone, for your positive coments.

Dan

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.