2007 HMMWV Wiring. 12 volts lights on 24 volt system

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
Good Evening All. I'm looking for info on how to install 12 volt lights on a 2007 HMMWV with a 24 volt system. A local PD has asked for some help installing and wiring it up. One if the Sergeants has a connection at Whelen and got a box of goodies and a huge ass Freedom Lightbar. Thanks for any help. Thanks.

Mike

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399599318.363192.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
TritonBoulder47 said:
I LOVE how HUGE that Freedom is... I HATE how empty it is... lol Can't wait to see it lit up...
I absolutely agree. They also got a bunch of split R/B Ions (flush and regular mount) two perimeter enhancement lights, two Pioneer single panels heads and two Pioneer Nano 6 LED heads. All of the lights will be run off of a 295SLSA6 siren controller. They were ordered by one of the Sergeants. I'm going to make some suggestions on the lights for their MRAP.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
I am pretty sure you can just tie into one side of the batteries. There should be 2 12v batteries tied together to get the 24v. If you just tie into 1 of the batteries you should get the 12v you need.

Reactions: Torpedo

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
emtanderson51 said:
I am pretty sure you can just tie into one side of the batteries. There should be 2 12v batteries tied together to get the 24v. If you just tie into 1 of the batteries you should get the 12v you need.

I was reading more into this and it's advised against tying into one battery. Apparently it draws unevenly and will kill one battery faster.

Reactions: Torpedo

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
TritonBoulder47 said:
I LOVE how HUGE that Freedom is... I HATE how empty it is... lol Can't wait to see it lit up...

Actually, I love how split up it is! It is kind of a love/hate thing, with something that size one would love to see more blinkies, but I really think it will make it more effective with the separation of lightheads!!

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Looks like a NFPA lightbar. That thing will throw plenty of light. I like it depopulated

Big D

Feb 22, 2014
Croswell, MI 48422
RDT Car 25 said:
I'm going to make some suggestions on the lights for their MRAP.

If their MRAP is the Navistar MaxxPro Base (M1224), I can help with info. I manage that truck.

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
Big D said:
If their MRAP is the Navistar MaxxPro Base (M1224), I can help with info. I manage that truck.

It's actually a BAE Caiman Cat II 6x6.

Big D

Feb 22, 2014
Croswell, MI 48422
HUGE TRUCK! I do work with the guys that used to manage that one too. So I can still offer help. As long as the info isn't classified.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Zapp Brannigan said:
Actually, I love how split up it is! It is kind of a love/hate thing, with something that size one would love to see more blinkies, but I really think it will make it more effective with the separation of lightheads!!

I have to agree with you. The Virginia State police use 8 head Liberty bars, 4 front/4 rear. And quite honestly, I feel it gives better warning then a 14 head Liberty, as all those lightheads create one big blob of light. The separation in a 8 head actually lets you see the flashing of the lights. I at one time was in favor of filling up the bars with lightheads, but I have since changed my position on that.

If I have to install a bar that is full of lightheads, I at least try and make each pair of lightheads have a different flash pattern.

Big D

Feb 22, 2014
Croswell, MI 48422
What I know has been tested and approved to meet Army Standards is the Sure Power Battery Equalizer P/N 21100E00.

Can be wired as an equalizer, or a converter. Either way, it will give you a 100amp 12V feed from the 24V system. This is the unit we use on the Navistar MRAPs. If you need less than 100 amps, they have other models available for less $$$$

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.