2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Sold 02-18)

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
This is my POV, a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It is used for Emergency Management. Sorry it's a little bit dirty.

Equipment List:

---WARNING LIGHTS---

2 – Whelen Blue Par 36 Dodge Charger Fog Light Replacements

2 – Whelen M4 Blue/Blue LEDs

2 – Whelen Blue/White Dual Sync Avengers

2 – Whelen Blue/Blue Tir6 Slimlighters

2 – Whelen Amber Single Sync Avengers

2 – Whelen Blue/Blue Dual Sync Avengers

2 – Whelen Blue M2s

1 – Unity Spotlight w/ Whelen Par 46 LED Drop In

2 – Whelen Blue Tir3 on sides of front bumper for intersection coverage

2 – Sound Off Signal Mighty Night Light for flashing Alley Lights

1 – LED Ground lighting (Steady White) sides and rear when doors are open

---SWITCHING---

1 – PCC8R Whelen 8 button switchbox

---RADIO---

1 – Motorola CDM1250 VHF Radio – Remote Head

1 – Motorola CDM750 VHF Radio (Configured in a remote scanner only setup)

1 – Motorola HT1250 Portable Charger

---ANTENNAS---

2 – Sti-Co VHF Flexi-Whip

1 – Laird Cell/PCS Phantom Elite (Black)

1 – Laird 2.4 GHz Phantom Elite (Black)

---FLASHLIGHTS---

1 – Streamlight Strion C4

1 – Streamlight Stinger LED C4

1 – Streamlight Knucklehead C4

1 – Streamlight Stinger Fast Piggy Back Charger

1 – Maglite Magcharger w/ LED Drop In

---COMPUTER---

1 – Gamber Johnson Laptop Mount

1 – Gamber Johnson CF-18 Port Replicating Dock

1 – LIND Electronics Power Supply

1 – Panasonic CF-19 w/ GPS, Bluetooth, Gobi 3g Modem

1 – Cradlepoint CTR500 Router w/ Verizon LTE modem

---MISC---

1 – Secure Idle vehicle security system w/ immobilizer interface module

1 – Idle-Right Fuel Management System

1 – Panasonic Arbitrator In-Car Video System

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_JeepDrivFender.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_JeepFront.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_JeepPassFender.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_JeepSpot.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_JeepFrontLit.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_JeepFenderFlag.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_JeepBack.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_JeepRadio.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_JeepLaptopMount.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_JeepSwitchbox.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_JeepTrunk.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_JeepPanel.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1774.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1771.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1769.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1836_zps5eb273df.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1835_zpsd86a678f.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1834_zpsc9abb46a.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1824_zpsb3b714e5.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1822_zps88f82cab.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1808_zps7b3ec524.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG_1805_zps4ad0016a.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG00068_20110522_1946.jpgai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_IMG00026_20110501_1220.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_Visds33.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l9_andrewsim2003_Jeep_20WK_th_Jeep.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rohmers

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
Looks real good. Needs more intersection warning IMO. Also, what department or government agency do you provide "emergency management" services for?

I do like the mounting of the CDM1250, but I would have liked the microphone mounted on the driver side of the center console, might be hard reaching for that while driving. I would have also found a spot to mount the HT1250 so you could grab it as you got out of the vehicle.

Why all those antennas and only one VHF radio?

Wheres the siren?

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
emt322636 said:
Looks real good. Needs more intersection warning IMO. Also, what department or government agency do you provide "emergency management" services for?

I do like the mounting of the CDM1250, but I would have liked the microphone mounted on the driver side of the center console, might be hard reaching for that while driving. I would have also found a spot to mount the HT1250 so you could grab it as you got out of the vehicle.

Why all those antennas and only one VHF radio?

Wheres the siren?

Thanks for the comment.

I use this vehicle with my counties emergency management agency, we cover 520 Sq miles and offer support to any agency in the county whom may need assistance. I use this vehicle primarily for traffic control. I am going to be adding LINZ6s flush mounted into the sides of the front bumper eventually. The radio locations work very well for my use and work best for the vehicle design, at least that is what I have found. The two phantom elites support the Aircard and wireless router setup in the vehicle and the UHF antenna is for a scanner project that is in progress. State law and agency policy allows no audible warning devices in POV's, so there is no siren.

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
So you're part of a county wide fire police squad? I don't mean to dense or offensive, but if you're main job is traffic control, why do you need a laptop mount and wireless routers?

Are other motorists required to yield the right of way to you while responding? Would seem silly to me if I was required to yield to a vehicle with no audible warning.

Just so we're clear...this isn't your agency is it?? REACT International, Inc. | Public Service Through Communications

Reactions: Station 3

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
emt322636 said:
Just so we're clear...this isn't your agency is it?? REACT International, Inc. | Public Service Through Communications

No. Thanks.

The laptop and Internet setup is for my full time job. And no, we do not respond to calls, although legal in our state our agency does not see the benefit of allowing that due to the unnecessary danger posed by expediting. And as I said, audible warning devices are illegal in my state for POVs.

In regards to my agency, I will say it again, "my counties emergency management agency" is who I am with. I know you are from NY and you might not be familiar with it. But in IL every county is required to have an emergency management agency of some sort who works directly with IEMA (Illinois Emergency Management Agency) and FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency). We work on disaster plans for the county and work on disaster mitigation to help those in needs directly following any sort of disaster. Our agency also runs a Ground Search and Rescue group who covers our county and travels throughout northern Illinois to provide assistance to other agencies. Since tornadoes and search and rescues do not happen everyday our agency (under the Civil Defense Act in our state) also provides assistance to Fire department and Police departments throughout the county in the form of traffic control, scene lighting, and use of our command vehicle.

In regards to our lighting the state vehicle code is very specific about the lighting colors and setups we are allowed to have. Our lighting codes are very close to the Volunteer Firefighter lighting codes but vary slightly. I suppose if you live in a state with "Fire Police" this may make more sense to you.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
andrewsim said:
No. Thanks.

The laptop and Internet setup is for my full time job. And no, we do not respond to calls, although legal in our state our agency does not see the benefit of allowing that due to the unnecessary danger posed by expediting. And as I said, audible warning devices are illegal in my state for POVs.

In regards to my agency, I will say it again, "my counties emergency management agency" is who I am with. I know you are from NY and you might not be familiar with it. But in IL every county is required to have an emergency management agency of some sort who works directly with IEMA (Illinois Emergency Management Agency) and FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency). We work on disaster plans for the county and work on disaster mitigation to help those in needs directly following any sort of disaster. Our agency also runs a Ground Search and Rescue group who covers our county and travels throughout northern Illinois to provide assistance to other agencies. Since tornadoes and search and rescues do not happen everyday our agency (under the Civil Defense Act in our state) also provides assistance to Fire department and Police departments throughout the county in the form of traffic control, scene lighting, and use of our command vehicle.

In regards to our lighting the state vehicle code is very specific about the lighting colors and setups we are allowed to have. Our lighting codes are very close to the Volunteer Firefighter lighting codes but vary slightly. I suppose if you live in a state with "Fire Police" this may make more sense to you.

Probably the most well worded explanation for having emewrgency lights on a vehicle this site has ever seen...

good job! lol

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Good looking Jeep! And we have volly EMA here as well.

EMT

May 22, 2010
NYC, NY
Well, I have lived in Kane Co. for the past 10 years.... It gets exhausting dealing with the Kane County Office of Emergency Management folks blocking traffic in every inappropriate way possible.... Nothing against you personally, but just know there are a lot of 'not-too-smart-folks' and hardcore whackers on KCOEM.... Jus' saying...

EDIT: Aside from my very apparent distaste for Kane Co. OEM, this is an impeccable install. And I should add, I may very well be getting Batavia and Geneva ESDA mixed up with Kane Co. OEM as a whole. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
This forum is about lights I don't care if you are legit or not. Very nice install. I like the placement of the CDM.

SeanC898

May 21, 2010
Shelton, CT
Op Very Nice Install I love the location of the CDM. Thats seriously awsome.

Quick question, What did you use as spacers for the Slimlighter mount in the back? I also have my slimlighters in the back windows. I ended up just drill mounting with the suction cup clips.

Again, Very Nice and Creative Install.

Sean

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
EMT said:
Well, I have lived in Kane Co. for the past 10 years.... It gets exhausting dealing with the Kane County Office of Emergency Management folks blocking traffic in every inappropriate way possible.... Nothing against you personally, but just know there are a lot of 'not-too-smart-folks' and hardcore whackers on KCOEM.... Jus' saying...

I can't directly speak to your interactions with my agency and if you have had these experiences I am extremely sorry and I want to say that some of our members do not represent the whole (even though I know that to the public, they unfortunately do) But I will say that if the these events have happened in Geneva or Batavia, our agency has not done anything in the tri-city limits in regards to traffic control in 2 years or more, from what I can recall.

The slimlighter is mounted using the bail bracket and spaced with stacked washers heat shrinked together to give the appropriate height needed, then the bracket was screwed down.

In regards to pictures I was unfortunately too caught up in the work to grab in progress pictures. Because the 2008-2010 Grand Cherokees have the adjustable steering wheels the pocket to the left of the steering wheel is smaller than the previous Grand Cherokees so we had to shave down the sides of the CDM remote head to fit. Another member on the board here did the install of the CDM head and did a great job. We cut up the pocket that usually fills the hole and popped the bottom piece in so it looks factory-ish.

KCOEM9103

Aug 16, 2010
Elgin, IL USA
First off, Andrew, Jeep looks good. Glad to see you finally posted pictures on ELB.

Second of all,

EMT said:

EDIT: Aside from my very apparent distaste for Kane Co. OEM, this is an impeccable install. And I should add, I may very well be getting Batavia and Geneva ESDA mixed up with Kane Co. OEM as a whole. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Douche Bag

EMT

May 22, 2010
NYC, NY
KCOEM9103 said:
First off, Andrew, Jeep looks good. Glad to see you finally posted pictures on ELB.

Second of all,

Douche Bag

Reported. --> It's funny to see some people on here... This is the exact type of person I was griping about in the first place. Andrew responded to my problem maturely and cleared up my misconceptions.... YOU responded in a manner very aligned with my perceived notions of your agency. Thanks for corroborating my opinions.

KCOEM9103

Aug 16, 2010
Elgin, IL USA
EMT said:
Reported. --> It's funny to see some people on here... This is the exact type of person I was griping about in the first place. Andrew responded to my problem maturely and cleared up my misconceptions.... YOU responded in a manner very aligned with my perceived notions of your agency. Thanks for corroborating my opinions.

I responded in this manner because anytime anyone who isn't a FF posts something on this board they get flamed. You are the one that started this by saying our Organization is full of "not so smart folks, and "whackers". I dont get why FF have such a God complex.

Why do people join an OEM, and not become firefighters....... It's because we don't want to be firefighters. Simple as that. We have careers already. Andrew is a friend of mine, and sent me a message when he read your original post. Thats the only reason I responded.

I don't understand why someone who posts pictures and information about their POV has to spend the next 20 posts defending themselves.

I'm done talking to you about this, and I will gladly take this topic up with you in the appropriate forum.

EMT

May 22, 2010
NYC, NY
As irrelevant my opinion may have been, I was simply stating it, something people do on here all the time. I edited my post before you responded commending the quality of the install (it is very well done). I don't have any sort of God complex. If you have seen what type of people work for your organization in Batavia and Geneva (which Andrew advised you don't see them frequently at all) you would understand my gripes. I volunteered for ESDA before I became a FF/EMT, which is even more of a testament to my open-mindedness to the organization. The people by me commonly had maturity issues and tended to get incredibly defensive when compared to fire or police...

I digress, this install is beautiful- and the vinyls are some of the best I've seen on these boards.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Thanks for all of the comments!

I will try to grab a picture with grille off asap. It probably isn't the most ingenious install of grille lights but it works.

In regards to doing your own black reflective vinyl make sure you DO NOT use Avery brand, it reflects gold, not white. I personally used 3M.

I'll further clarify in regards to the ESDAs, they are completely different entities from KCOEM. I'll leave it at that.

EMT

May 22, 2010
NYC, NY
andrewsim said:
I'll further clarify in regards to the ESDAs, they are completely different entities from KCOEM. I'll leave it at that.

That is noted and I have no qualms with KCOEM. Thanks for the clarification.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
I had a store called Signs Now (which is a pretty big graphics chain around here, not sure they are down in the Carolinas) do a die cut for me, turned out great and was kind of a throw back for me as my old jeep had the exact size 9120 on the back of it, I like it. I also have a 5" Anerican flag like the one on my fender but in black reflective that I might put on my tailgate, but that is still up in the air.

EMT

May 22, 2010
NYC, NY
andrewsim said:
I also have a 5" Anerican flag like the one on my fender but in black reflective that I might put on my tailgate, but that is still up in the air.

Do it. I have a question though- I know this is a "Your installs" thread- but a lot of people don't do their own work, it's more like "Your setup" ( I am guilty of it myself). Did you do all of the wiring and installation, or did you go somewhere? I ask because I am purchasing a new vehicle soon and am looking to get new lighting installed- I could go through my FD (halfway decent work by the guy who does it) but I am thinking I want to outsource. Thanks.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
I did this install myself with some help from a friend on the board with the CDM install and the stuff that needs two people. I dont really trust other people to mess with my vehicle in regards to aftermarket stuff (lights etc.) I learned on my last vehicle that you can't plan ahead enough, add extra wires everywhere. I ran 6 conductor strobe cable to 3 locations and ran one 6 conductor trailer cable to under the hood.

Just make sure whomever does your install makes sure that it is legal and safe in regards to airbags. I have heard some horror stories about some installers (I dont know any names so unfortunately I can't warn you.) I do a lot of install work for members in our agency to help them out because I enjoy it and no one really has enough money sitting around to pay to have it done. If the guy at your FD is competent and is cost effective I would go that way, in regards to "outsourcing" it, I would be careful, just because you pay more doesn't mean you are getting a quality product. Just check for references.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Emergency management varies a lot from state to state and even county to county in both role and staffing. It's actually a very interesting subject... google it. Some of these agencies find their roots in Civil Defense.. a subject worth googling as well.... some even did/do heavy rescue...

With that said because of their varying and fluid definition usage, members have a high level of suspicion for all POVs with lights that they can't immediately mentally assign a known 100% legit use to. EMT322636 asked some questions about setup purpose and and OP answered him well. The whole exchange was quite polite and professional until KCOM9103 decided to troll the thread....

After some of the downright criminal wannabes that have popped up both on this site and in the news; I'm sure people are always going to question the validity of lots of POV installs... we can be polite about it and we might just learn something... this is a discussion board... so by all means discuss how and why people have stuff the way they do. It can be done professionally...really it can.

Reactions: Station 3

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
970tahoe said:
I too like the reflective black...nice touch. I may be stealing that idea along with the tinted lights.

I didn't even notice that until others pointed it out. Very cool. Too bad 3M doesn't appear to make silver reflective vinyl...otherwise this would be happening on my truck as well.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
AZEMT said:
I didn't even notice that until others pointed it out. Very cool. Too bad 3M doesn't appear to make silver reflective vinyl...otherwise this would be happening on my truck as well.

Ive noticed that the white 3M Diamond Grade reflective tape is very silver, that might work for you and reflects like crazy. Unfortunately I don't believe you could get numbers cut out of that stuff.

IDENTI-TAPE - 3M USDOT Approved Conspicuity Tape

By the way IDENTI-TAPE is an excellent website for ordering vinyl for striping purposes!

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Nice and neat. Love the layout and the vehicle.

Just curious how well the Phantom Antenna works with the router, and which mobile router you are using? I need to to do a simlar setup on our command post. What kind of range are you getting on the wireless signal (rough estimate is fine).

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
richard said:
Where'd you get the black american flag decal? I must have one!

Here you go:

American Flag Decal Sticker Graphic USA US | eBay

MESDA6 said:
Nice and neat. Love the layout and the vehicle.

Just curious how well the Phantom Antenna works with the router, and which mobile router you are using? I need to to do a simlar setup on our command post. What kind of range are you getting on the wireless signal (rough estimate is fine).

One of the phantoms is for my Sprint Sierra Wireless U250 Aircard. The other is for my Cradlepoint CTR500. The range on the Wifi is 100' ish. The router uses 5V DC so I am using a 5A 12v to 5v adapter. If you are looking for command vehicle ideas look into Ubiquiti Networks Inc. A lot of modular high power options (The only reason I did not go this route is due to the fact that I could not find any 12vDC POE (Power Over Ethernet) injectors.)

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
andrewsim said:
Here you go:

One of the phantoms is for my Sprint Sierra Wireless U250 Aircard. The other is for my Cradlepoint CTR500. The range on the Wifi is 100' ish. The router uses 5V DC so I am using a 5A 12v to 5v adapter. If you are looking for command vehicle ideas look into Ubiquiti Networks Inc. A lot of modular high power options (The only reason I did not go this route is due to the fact that I could not find any 12vDC POE (Power Over Ethernet) injectors.)

I currently use the Cradlepoint MBR1000 for travel with a Verizon USB card, but it doesn't have the option of connecting an external antenna. I really like the Cradlepoint products for general applications. The low power would be enough since all I would want is to be able to get wi-fi into a nearby ez-up shelter or tent depending on the event.

I have played with some of those high power networks at state exercises in Louisiana and Mississippi and they are impressive, some having a range of several miles. We can call for a more spohisticated comm unit if needed locally, as there is one housed in our county.

Thanks for the reply.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.