2008 Tahoe Install Questions

rescue567

Dec 11, 2011
Plains Pa.
Where is the best place to get through the firewall on an 08 Tahoe. Just picked one up this week and am planning my install. But would like to know the best wire route before I get started. Thanks in advance!!

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
If you're running a direct line from the battery to the cab/underdash area go between the inner and outer fenders on the passenger side then in through the rubber boot for the door wiring. Fuse it about a foot back from the battery.

For the driver side you can do the same or go through the big wire boot just above the steering column. In either case punching a hole in the rubber is easier than drilling metal.

Reactions: rescue567
Apr 14, 2011
PG county MD
i would drill a 1" 1/4 hole to the above left of the factory boot. it sits right above the imbec and comes in where all of the other oem wires of the vehicle.

rescue567

Dec 11, 2011
Plains Pa.
OK now my next question. Were is the best place to mount the brain for a CanTrol system ? Was thinking the rear wheel well area but no to sure. Any help would be great. Thanks

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Drivers side rear wheel well would be my vote. If you have a electric lift gate it'll be more difficult as that's where the motor is.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I had an 04.
I removed the entire rear seat row and created a cardboard template of the mounting hole/bolt pattern and seat bracketry. I then transferred the template to a piece of thin diamond plate and painted it to match the carpet. Finally I mounted everything- rear mount radios, SmartSiren amp, strobe packs, flashers, etc to the diamond plate and re-installed the rear seat over it. Anything that has to be added after the initial install can probably be done without removing the seat by using a right-angle drill or driver and short self-tapping screws/bolts.

rescue567

Dec 11, 2011
Plains Pa.
Drivers side rear wheel well would be my vote. If you have a electric lift gate it'll be more difficult as that's where the motor is.
Yes that's where I was thinking of too. But yes it does have the electric lift gate so was not sure if there would be enough room.

rescue567

Dec 11, 2011
Plains Pa.
I had an 04.
I removed the entire rear seat row and created a cardboard template of the mounting hole/bolt pattern and seat bracketry. I then transferred the template to a piece of thin diamond plate and painted it to match the carpet. Finally I mounted everything- rear mount radios, SmartSiren amp, strobe packs, flashers, etc to the diamond plate and re-installed the rear seat over it. Anything that has to be added after the initial install can probably be done without removing the seat by using a right-angle drill or driver and short self-tapping screws/bolts.
I don't think I have enough room under my seat to do that. It really only seems like there is about two inches of clearance under most of it. Worried about the height of the brain unit. Just may have to set it there and make sure it clears first.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
The other place is under the second row seats. You generally will need to remove the "covering" piece/trim/carpet piece covering the metal seat brackets. That's where I ended up putting mine. Only bad thing was getting to the 3rd row.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I don't think I have enough room under my seat to do that. It really only seems like there is about two inches of clearance under most of it. Worried about the height of the brain unit. Just may have to set it there and make sure it clears first.

I guess I wasn't clear since I was referring to the SSV/PPV that doesn't have a 3rd row vs the retail truck that does. My mounting recommendation was referring to the 2nd row. There is(was) plenty of clearance when the seats were upright and still enough when the seats were folded flat.

rescue567

Dec 11, 2011
Plains Pa.
The other place is under the second row seats. You generally will need to remove the "covering" piece/trim/carpet piece covering the metal seat brackets. That's where I ended up putting mine. Only bad thing was getting to the 3rd row.
Think that's were I might have to go with it.

emtpals

Apr 8, 2013
IL/WI
The Passenger side wheel well should have plenty of room for you. In our department vehicle, we mounted a Whelen 660 Strobe pack, a few relays, a flasher unit, and still drilled the area for a stinger light.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.