2008 Tahoe Lighting Ideas/Help

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
Excited!! 

Our company has been given the go ahead to have a designated emergency response vehicle. So to the drawing tables!

We will be purchasing a 2007-2011 PPV Tahoe in the next coming weeks and we need to outfit it. I have been given the task of picking the emergency equipment that will be going on it. That being said I have been given a budget that sucks balls. 4 Grand

The vehicle will have a Dual Purpose so Dual Color lighting is a MUST that has to be able to be able to be individually controlled.

Lighting Colors 
Red .. 360 Degrees
Amber .. 360 Degrees
Slick top Setup 

Whats your guys ideas, suggestions, tips or tricks (As we will be doing the install ourselfs)? We have come up with the following that is already being purchased (Rear Seat Storage Area Partition, Havis Console, Push Bumper) Leaving just under 3 grand left to play with.

Thanks Ahead of time.. 

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
The vehicle will have a Dual Purpose so Dual Color lighting is a MUST that has to be able to be able to be individually controlled.

Lighting Colors

Red .. 360 Degrees

Amber .. 360 Degrees

Slick top Setup

Whats your guys ideas, suggestions, tips or tricks (As we will be doing the install ourselfs)? We have come up with the following that is already being purchased (Rear Seat Storage Area Partition, Havis Console, Push Bumper) Leaving just under 3 grand left to play with.

Thanks Ahead of time..
What is the duo purpose that it can only be al Amber or all red?

FRONT:

--Apollo Duo color ILB R/A

--SNM E6 R/A inside grill or Axixtech Extreme R/A Duos in front of grill

SIDES:

--Axixtech Extreme R/A Duo or Apollo R/A on side of PB

--SNM E6 Duo R/A in rear side windows

REAR:

--SNM E66 Duo R/A on rear headliner

--Axixtech Extreme Duo R/A or Apollo R/A at license plate area

Nothing against the Apollos, but I prefer the Axixtech chameleons/duos b/c they are larger lighthead footprints with true duo color (all diodes firing in each color, not 1/2 diodes firing in one color and 1/2 diodes firing in another)

Don't waste your money on LAWs...they're nice to have if you got money to play with but if you're on a limited budget, stick with light heads that provide you with larger footprints. HLF and TLF (if permitted are nice options to fill in those areas for little $)

As for siren/lighting controls, keep it simple bro...if u have $3K to spend on warning equipment, it obviously doesn't make sense to drop $800-1000 on the controller alone. If you have more $ left over (after you covered the basics), then you can add a dual dash light, some running board lights, etc to provide more illumination, but my proposal above is enough for a simple, efficient setup with some $ left over to get you started

Last edited by a moderator:

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
PDK9,

Definitely appreciate the response, when it comes to the SNM products why do some people say they are crap and others swear by them? Are they a reliable lighthead that will outlast the vehicle?

The reason for the dual purpose is if we are not acting within a emergency situation we cant have any RED on the vehicle, it is simply in the event where we have a emergency situation where we need to respond or do a load and go. 
That being said while we are on site, roadside, blocking a road ect the only lights that we are allowed to display are amber.

This vehicle is going to be used for technical tower rescue (High Angle), and be used as the lead techs take home vehicle.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I can't talk for other people's experiences, but I have never heard SNM called crap. I know that some ppl don't like SNM and AWL simply b/c they're "China products," but I think that both are reliable...I can't say either will outlast the vehicle's life, but I am confident that neither Louis nor Tom will take your money, leave u with junk, and run (as would ETD and others). That being said, I think SNM lightheads will be bright, durable, and last you a few years (they have 5 year warranty like a lot of major manufacturers).

None of the big name manufacturers offer true duo color diodes, so you have to go with a "China product" to get true duo color diodes in each lighthead (or else you'll have to go with a more expensive lighthead with double the amount of diodes in order to achieve duo color). Also, I made the above recommendations b/c I think that SNM, feniex, and Axixtech/Brookings are the best options within your budget that allow individual control over 2 colors.

Get basic switches/controls, a basic whelen 295 siren, & fedsig AS124 speakers (2 is ideal but 1 is ok for a light use vehicle like this that isn't responding code 3 24/7), and call it a day.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.