2009 Malibu HAW Question - Please Help!!

tomx20

Aug 17, 2010
I just bought a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu and want to put in hide-a-ways in the rear (2 tail lights, 2 rev. lights) but I'm not 100% positive that they will fit into the housings without interfering with the stock bulbs. Has anyone done an install on a 2008+ Chevy Malibu. Pictures/videos/comments would be helpful!

Here's a picture of the car:

ai55.tinypic.com_2dqputf.jpg

ai52.tinypic.com_1zbvvbr.jpg

tomx20

Aug 17, 2010
cory y said:
Do you have the LED or halogen rear brake lights?
I have the halogen brake lights. Sorry, I know the picture I included of the rear is the LTZ but I only have the LT.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Whelen vertex will fit in both. I have done them before just check the clearance on the body side of the light before mounting. The ballast were tucked in the trunk lid and behind the bumper for the tails.

tomx20

Aug 17, 2010
Respondcode3 said:
Whelen vertex will fit in both. I have done them before just check the clearance on the body side of the light before mounting. The ballast were tucked in the trunk lid and behind the bumper for the tails.
I really wanted to stick to a strobe haw, the vertex's are a little too expensive for me ($66 each). I know that the vertex's stick into the housings about 7/8", what about a regular strobe tube?

cory y

May 21, 2010
It depends on if you are using a grommet or flange mount tube. The grommet usually is a little taller than the flange (screw in) tubes But if you have about 2 inches of room they should fit.

wduda152

Jun 5, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I know it may be a little off topic but how well would led haws perform with the factory led taillight, and say have a blue or blue/amber split module flash? My next car down the road may be one of these and it looks like you can do some pretty slick things with the lights. I think it would be cool to have the sound off universal led haws flash, and maybe put a diode or relay in that cuts the power when the brakes are applied, kind of like the way taillight flashers work.

tomx20

Aug 17, 2010
wduda152 said:
I know it may be a little off topic but how well would led haws perform with the factory led taillight, and say have a blue or blue/amber split module flash? My next car down the road may be one of these and it looks like you can do some pretty slick things with the lights. I think it would be cool to have the sound off universal led haws flash, and maybe put a diode or relay in that cuts the power when the brakes are applied, kind of like the way taillight flashers work.
I have halogen lights in mine ( which is an LT) only the most expensive package has the led lights (LTZ model)

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
wduda152 said:

Prob wouldn't work too well since LED tail lights are pretty flush to the lens, leaving little if any room for a light head.

opskmallory

Jun 14, 2010
Utah
I think I'd avoid strobe HAWs if you can. We've done this for a couple 2008/2009 M'Bu's. We did Vertexes and they look great. But in doing them, noticed there is not much clearance at all. I would be concerned about heat build-up from strobes without much room to circulate/ventilate air and proximity to the plastic lenses. If someone can chime in and say it's no problem, then great. But until then, if it were me, I'd avoid it.

I'd suggest maybe just for now, do one in each reverse light. Because the lenses are clear, you'll get good output with any color combination. Maybe down the road, buy two more and move them around to better fit your needs. We did blue in reverse lights and red in brake lights, since they already had red lenses. They look really good.

tomx20

Aug 17, 2010
opskmallory said:
I think I'd avoid strobe HAWs if you can. We've done this for a couple 2008/2009 M'Bu's. We did Vertexes and they look great. But in doing them, noticed there is not much clearance at all. I would be concerned about heat build-up from strobes without much room to circulate/ventilate air and proximity to the plastic lenses. If someone can chime in and say it's no problem, then great. But until then, if it were me, I'd avoid it.

I'd suggest maybe just for now, do one in each reverse light. Because the lenses are clear, you'll get good output with any color combination. Maybe down the road, buy two more and move them around to better fit your needs. We did blue in reverse lights and red in brake lights, since they already had red lenses. They look really good.
I don't suppose you have any pictures or videos do you?

And how tight were the figments with the vertex's in the reverse lights?

tomx20

Aug 17, 2010
I found a Malibu with Vertexs:

I just like the "pop" of regular strobes better than the Vertex LED's

tomx20

Aug 17, 2010
Where should I drill the holes in the reverse lights for the HAWs? Top, side, bottom? I noticed the housings are a little tight but I've seen LED HAWs in them before.

Thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.