2010 Chevy Silverado headlights

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Hey guys I am New to the site, but have been around for a little bit just never posted. I am going to be doing a install on a 2010 Chevy Silverado. I know the headlights are double walled. I am curious how they come out. I know they are a bugger, but I just don't want to break anything. Does anyone have a diagram for getting these out, or pics? Thanks guys.

Ryan

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
You can't take the headlight assembly itself apart. It is sealed all around the edges where the clear plastic meets the black plastic. Your only method, if you do not replace the factory bulb with your hide away, is to drill a hole through the first wall larger than your second hole for your hide away (i.e., drill a 1 1/2 inch hole and then a 1 inch hole for your hide away). This way, your whole hide away is inside the assembly and the flange clears the first wall. Hope you can picture what I explained.

Tony

cory y

May 21, 2010
i do believe he was asking how to take the whole headlight out, not how do you disassemble the housing.

to anwser your question, really long name guy, unbolt it and pull the grille off, it makes it a little bit easier

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
cory y said:
i do believe he was asking how to take the whole headlight out, not how do you disassemble the housing.

to anwser your question, really long name guy, unbolt it and pull the grille off, it makes it a little bit easier

Yep. I just was curious how the headlights come out. I know they are sealed. I will just have to really take my time with the front. How much space is between the 2 housings? 1/2 in.?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
86 the DRL if they are still stand alone and put you haw heads in place. An easy idea.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
HILO said:
86 the DRL if they are still stand alone and put you haw heads in place. An easy idea.

Yeah, I have to talk to the customer about where he wants his bulbs yet.

Anyone have any pics on how to take the lights out?

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Good lord, if you'd ask us professional installers, it'd be a big mistake to try to put any lights in them. You just do not want to risk compromising the housing with moisture, fine dust, shavings, etc. The plastic's not a problem which is on the outer layer. It's the composite layer on the inside that makes very fine dust when cutting it, coating the inside of the lenses permanently,.

May 24, 2010
East Longmeadow, MA
+1,000 on the composite headlights, light refraction is great but the dust is horrible, as the installer i see it as my job to make the decision on where to drill and where not to drill just my $.02 tho

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
EVModules said:
Good lord, if you'd ask us professional installers, it'd be a big mistake to try to put any lights in them. You just do not want to risk compromising the housing with moisture, fine dust, shavings, etc. The plastic's not a problem which is on the outer layer. It's the composite layer on the inside that makes very fine dust when cutting it, coating the inside of the lenses permanently,.

Amen brother. Most gung-hos don't like it when I tell them I won't do any drilling into their composite headlights, but too bad. As headlights become more and more intricate in construction and difficult to modify by design, I'm just not going there. There are too many other alternatives to choose from these days.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Thanks for all the heads up guys, i will see if he will let me replace the DRLs with the strobes. If not I will expresse my concern with the composite headlights.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
After looking at one, I realize the DRL's are not stand alone. I would not drill in the housing either. Now the turn signals might be a better idea and will give true intersection coverage.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.