2010 DHS Expedition SSV

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI

The new 2010 Ford Expedition outfitted with all Whelen products. It's staying as is (no vehicle markings).

Front:

Whelen 8 head LINZ6 Inner Edge Plus

2 Whelen M7 Grille Lights

2 Whelen TIN6 Flush Mount

4 Whelen Vertex LED HAWs

Rear:

2 Whelen 4 head Dominators (rear side windows)

2 Whelen LINZ6 on License Plate Mount

4 Whelen Vertex LED HAWs

Whelen 8 head Dominator Plus LINZ6

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Very Nice... I wish that's what my Av looked like... LoL

But what is a TIN6...? Or is that a typo for the LIN6 on the side of the push bar...?

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
TritonBoulder47 said:
Very Nice... I wish that's what my Av looked like... LoL

But what is a TIN6...? Or is that a typo for the LIN6 on the side of the push bar...?

I think it was a typo...I cut and pasted from the youtube description...

EMS10EMT

Aug 31, 2010
NJ
love it. again, its not overdone

im not sure if im seeing things but is there red,blue, and amber in the rear linz6 dominator?

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
surf_kat said:
Apparently not a BASTROP vehicle. I took an unmarked Explorer on detail last month to FLETC. The warning package was pretty minimal.

It's very cool to know the linguo, but could you translate those acronysms in plain English please, for those of us who do not share a large every morning with the local Feds at the local Dunkin Donuts ??? ;)

Merci.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
TheGatekeeper said:
It's very cool to know the linguo, but could you translate those acronysms in plain English please, for those of us who do not share a large every morning with the Federales at the local Dunkin Donuts ??? ;)

Merci.

surf_kat

May 28, 2010
SE AZ
TheGatekeeper said:
It's very cool to know the linguo, but could you translate those acronysms in plain English please, for those of us who do not share a large every morning with the local Feds at the local Dunkin Donuts ??? ;)

Merci.

CBPdogboy knows exactly what I'm talking about.

BASTROP is the Federal Correctional Institute in Bastrop, Texas. The vehicle specification is standardized and federal prison inmates do the installation. If you take a look at the BASTROP facility on the satellite view of google maps you will see a several hundred vehicles lined up for conversion and shipment.

FLETC is the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. Actually several training centers, the best known is Glynco, Georgia (Brunswick, GA). There is a smaller facility at Artesia, New Mexico.

I'm still looking for the other Feds, I think they work dayshift Mon-Fri mostly in an office while I'm belly down watching 8 guy with rifles and dope coming across the border.

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_Tahoe_IMG_0192.jpg

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
JaBradt85 said:
There are 1 red and 1 amber in the rear. Tackleberry was on the older board, he does nice work.

Thanks...

I got an e-mail today from a friend which informed me about this thread. I honestly didn't know the site was back up and going. I remember having problems a while back with the whole Elightbars and Lightbarn thing, then the site going down and then I was activated and sent to the sand box for a while. I guess I just had to much going on and forgot about the forum; but it's good to be back and see everything's going well.

This is actually only the 5th vehicle I've done. I outfitted 3 Chevy Impala's when I was active duty Air Force with the 66th Security Forces unit out of Hanscom (which was a lot of trial & error, cursing, tools being thrown and head scratching). I then gutted and re-outfitted the 2005 Crown Vic I got when I was hired by the National Park Service and finally the Expedition you see here (I just have to add I hate the rims and can't figure out why this was the only Expedition on the GSA lot with them and the grey plastic panels).

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Mr911 said:
I like this install! Very clean and not overdone! I would love to see how the interior console is set up in this...

Here you go sir... OK, it's not all Whelen; I did end up going with a Smart Siren. I just favor the tones much more over the CenCom.

*Just waiting on the Havis lock box to fill the open space*

ai40.photobucket.com_albums_e248_michael012_DSCN0166.jpg

ai40.photobucket.com_albums_e248_michael012_DSCN0168.jpg

ai40.photobucket.com_albums_e248_michael012_DSCN0150.jpg

ai40.photobucket.com_albums_e248_michael012_DSCN0143.jpg

ai40.photobucket.com_albums_e248_michael012_DSCN0126.jpg

ai40.photobucket.com_albums_e248_michael012_DSCN0142.jpg

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
surf-cat >>> thank you!

Actually FLETC rang a bell... Glynco, USMS training center if I recall well. (No merit, I've read Carsten Stroud :p )

surf_kat

May 28, 2010
SE AZ
TheGatekeeper said:
surf-cat >>> thank you!
Actually FLETC rang a bell... Glynco, USMS training center if I recall well. (No merit, I've read Carsten Stroud :p )

Most of the federal agencies (other than FBI/DEA) send their initial hires to Glynco. BIA tribal police, Federal Air Marshals, Border Patrol use Artesia.

From Tackleberry's pics, it is a General Services Administration (GSA) vehicle that has been outfitted with lights. GSA tagged vehicles are typically 'leased' from GSA to an agency for x number of miles. Based on the lights and lack of markings, I would guess that vehicle is going to be used solely on federal property somewhere back east.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
surf_kat said:
Surf_Kat

The vehicles are all done at Unicor down in Texas. Most of the installations we get have something wrong with them. The front and rear light bar swicthes are back wards and so on...

Here is their site...

http://www.unicor.gov/fleet/remanufactu ... /vehicles/

CBPdogboy knows exactly what I'm talking about.

BASTROP is the Federal Correctional Institute in Bastrop, Texas. The vehicle specification is standardized and federal prison inmates do the installation. If you take a look at the BASTROP facility on the satellite view of google maps you will see a several hundred vehicles lined up for conversion and shipment.

FLETC is the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. Actually several training centers, the best known is Glynco, Georgia (Brunswick, GA). There is a smaller facility at Artesia, New Mexico.

I'm still looking for the other Feds, I think they work dayshift Mon-Fri mostly in an office while I'm belly down watching 8 guy with rifles and dope coming across the border.

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_Tahoe_IMG_0192.jpg[/quote:16v9lizr]

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
EVT said:
How did you mount those M7s onto the push bumper?

I used the Whelen 500 series Crown Vic mount (5BKT1). The plan was to mount them behind the grille at first; I then ended up with Setina Pushbars and the top bar covered up the top opening in the grille where the lights would have been. So I had to mount them up the bars. IMO they were to low mounted to the flat cross bar so I mounted them to the round bar. The same 5BKT1 bracket works pretty good.

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
surf_kat said:
Most of the federal agencies (other than FBI/DEA) send their initial hires to Glynco. BIA tribal police, Federal Air Marshals, Border Patrol use Artesia.

From Tackleberry's pics, it is a General Services Administration (GSA) vehicle that has been outfitted with lights. GSA tagged vehicles are typically 'leased' from GSA to an agency for x number of miles. Based on the lights and lack of markings, I would guess that vehicle is going to be used solely on federal property somewhere back east.

It is a GSA leased vehicle; like most federal agencies in this area. I used to work for a .gov agency that purchased their vehicles and they would do everything possible to get 10 years out of a vehicle. IMO GSA is the way to go because now I'm getting a new SUV every 5 years or a new sedan every 3 years (which also means all new equipment :D ).

Actually it's being used where ever we happen to be working. The lights are just like most Massachusetts Police vehicles (blue facing foward and blue to the rear with a red and amber light). That way we blend in with surrounding law enforcement.

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
Nice install :D . Love the Expedition, all except those nasty looking rims. Whoever (from Ford) decided to put those rims on expeditions should be fired!

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Took a photo of the 'kids' tucked away now that the vehicle is in full service.

ai40.photobucket.com_albums_e248_michael012_IMG_20100925_102704.jpg

Question: Does anyone have a driver's side spot light intalled on their Expedition? I'm interested in knowing if it's installed in a A pillar because the guys with Ford Explorers have them installed on the driver's side door (were told there was no other way for the Explorer) and it sucks because the spot light moves off the illuminated vehicle when you open the door. Not exactly something you want when your making traffic stops. I feel I need more white light up front for traffic stops (TD's in the Inner Edge are too high and don't illuminate the inside of the suspect vehicle) and have been kicking around the idea of getting the spot light.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
TACKLEBERRY said:
Took a photo of the 'kids' tucked away now that the vehicle is in full service.

ai40.photobucket.com_albums_e248_michael012_IMG_20100925_102704.jpg

Question: Does anyone have a driver's side spot light intalled on their Expedition? I'm interested in knowing if it's installed in a A pillar because the guys with Ford Explorers have them installed on the driver's side door (were told there was no other way for the Explorer) and it sucks because the spot light moves off the illuminated vehicle when you open the door. Not exactly something you want when your making traffic stops. I feel I need more white light up front for traffic stops (TD's in the Inner Edge are too high and don't illuminate the inside of the suspect vehicle) and have been kicking around the idea of getting the spot light.
PM inbound on a possible solution.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
crazyboy said:
Roof mount a remote control light?

If he's using an inner edge he probably wants to stay slick top.

You could always install a passenger side spotlight and leave it pointing aprox where it will be needed....

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Or use a hand-held stuck on the dashboard ?halogen%20hand%20held%20spotlight%20copy.jpg[/attachment:3rrgto5n]halogen%20hand%20held%20spotlight%20copy.jpg[/attachment:3rrgto5n]halogen%20hand%20held%20spotlight%20copy.jpg[/attachment:3rrgto5n]

halogen%20hand%20held%20spotlight%20copy.jpg

hjjjk.jpg

is.jpg

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
code4services.com said:
Unity lists an "inside post" mount for the Expedition. Not sure exactly how it mounts, they list "post", "inside post" and "door" mounts in their application guide.

You're right about the Explorers only have the "door" mounting option.

Yeah, I just noticed this. I think I'll be good to go with the spotlight option and if budget allows I'll get one for the passenger side. I just saw that video on youtube with the Charger demo car with the LED spotlights hooked to a flasher and really love that. Hell, I might even pay out of my own pocket if the supervisor shoots me down.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Off topic, but what optic is that on the rifle? I have the same MagPull BUS and love it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.