2010 Tahoe Fire pov

JEFFL19

May 20, 2015
south/central texas
Finally got an upgrade and got rid of my blacked out 05 tahoe and got this 2010 ppv. Good thing it was never used by a police agency. I use it for fire and ems calls.

Equipment installed:

Front: Apollo lightbar r/b/w, Apollo 2x r/b/w, 2 911ep 8head r/b, off road led bar from probox 

Sides: cobra 400 r/b , 4 Apollo f6 2r/w 2b/ww

Back: Apollo 800 r/b/a, cobra 400 r/b, Apollo  f6 1r/a 1b/, cannons r/w b/w , amber t3 on lift gate, whelen compartmentlights onlift gate r/w, t3 1 r 1 b below hatch 

Inside: 2 whelen 200 watt sirens with 4 speakers. , uniden scanner with GPS. Aluminium cargo box with two slide trays gun case slot and 2 other compartments. 

Wanting to add:

2 t3 r and w driver side 2 t3 b/w passenger mirrors. Most likely cobra 200 to bottom wherehitch is supposed to be.

install was fairly easy. took 4 days with my spare time. just a lot of wiring and marking wires. 

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0102(1).jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
This is a really nice POV with a lot of nice equipment, but if you don't mind I'd like to make some suggestions. 

1. Don't add the stuff you were wanting to add, especially the Cobra 400 by the hitch. If you want mirror lights I would suggest either Whelen mirrorbeams or SoundOff intersectors. The output of these will be more effective than the TIR optics of the T3s in this application.

2. Remove the lower 911ep stick. The front is really busy as is and looks purple with everything lit up. Sometimes less is more. 

3. Remove the Cobra 400 from the rear. Everything else looks great back there but this is uneccesary and makes it look too busy and cluttered. 

4. Add a HLF

5. Add something for intersection. A recess mount Whelen Ion or SoundOff nForce in the sides of the push bumper would work great for this. 

Reactions: RL1 and paff2

JEFFL19

May 20, 2015
south/central texas
i just prefer the price and easy installation of the t3. 

the lower cobra 400 is more effective in the back during the day due to the tint. 

i have the 4200 controller so I do have  hlf. After I tooktook the video of the walk around I turned my brights off and did the hlf at the end. That was my bad. I don't plan on getting a push bumper anytime soon. I have apollos in the fog area for intersection. 

I really appreciate your input. Worked my butt off lol this was way easier then my 05. 
IMAG0115.jpg

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Very cool truck but it looks like way too much is going on there. Did you use a Mercury switch for the liftgate?

Personally, I'd make a few changes:

1) Remove the lower grill light stick

2) sync the running board lights on a slower pattern (personally, I'd just have them all slowly single flashing all red then all blue, while only using clear for override, such as open door or flood mode)

3) change the pattern on the cobra 400 in the sides to just be left half alternating with right half (wigwag between Red and Blue)

4) slow down everything towards the rear (a basic wigwag speed is very effective and doesn't blind oncoming traffic). I personally think that there is too much with the cobra 400 in the lower rear window and the T3's below the liftgate, but if synced to a slower pattern and alternating all red --> all blue, I think it can work. No need for a cobra at the trailer hitch. Alternate the cannons to only flash red/blue and leave clear for reverse lights

5) Add an intersection light on the side of the  front bumper she'll (ie ion duo, nforce recess mount, etc).  Forget about the T3's on the mirrors. You have more than enough front/side lighting, and the only area missing anything is the front sides as the nose of the truck eases into the intersection

6) if you're going to have 400 watts of siren (not that u need it), I think you should have 2 different sirens (ie a whelen 295 and a fedsig eq2b, whelen 295 and powercall)

okc_f150

Oct 3, 2013
Oklahoma City
How visible are the T3s on the bumper under the lift gate? I'm outfitting a Tahoe in the next month or so and it doesn't look like there's enough room there.

Did you use a mercury switch for the lights on the hatch?

Wiring looks nice, where did you mount the 4200 brain? Couldn't tell the location from the pic.

Any tips or advice for someone about to up fit their first tahoe?

I agree on the slower patterns. You could probably stand to ditch a few things here and there. But if you like it, keep it. It's your call :)

JEFFL19

May 20, 2015
south/central texas
they're extremely visible until you're right up on them, they fit with no issues at all

and no the lights on the hatch come on anytime any of the rear lights are on. 

i mounted it just above where the jack mount is on back left panel

this was actually my first newer model so I'm sure there are a lot of guys here that could tell you a lot more then i can.

and where i live the traffic is outrageous. i have cops tell me all the time they wish they had my setup. gonna add some graphics and be done with it by the end of the year.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
More lights does not equal better. Quality, bright lights in the right places on the right patterns makes for effective warning. 

hfdemt4095

Jul 1, 2014
Holliston ma
Just my .02- besides repeating what everyone else is saying about way having way to many things going on at once... I'm not a fan of 2 straight form of light sources (ie a visit lightbar or even a full sized lightbar and a stick light in the grille) it just looks too Linear For me.

hfdemt4095

Jul 1, 2014
Holliston ma

2 things..

1- i can't stand drilling holes into my vehicle.. Just a pet peeve; but anyways, i would not surface mount, I would use the multimount for the ghosts and put them on the front part of the wheel well, otherwise I would go with a push bumper and mount them there

2- how do you put the color blocks on vehicle pics to mock up spots for lights? Paint on Microsoft?

JEFFL19

May 20, 2015
south/central texas
2 things..

1- i can't stand drilling holes into my vehicle.. Just a pet peeve; but anyways, i would not surface mount, I would use the multimount for the ghosts and put them on the front part of the wheel well, otherwise I would go with a push bumper and mount them there

2- how do you put the color blocks on vehicle pics to mock up spots for lights? Paint on Microsoft?

well i was gonna put them flush. not surface and i have a mac and used preview 

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
You can get the nForces with a white housing. They would blend right in flush mounted into the bumper cover. 

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Another option is a recess mount dual or tri color Whelen Ion. I haven't seen one in person yet so I don't know how they compare to other lights but it is an option. 

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
aep_yimg_com_ca_I_yhst_91532681142752_2264_5722235_.gif

SoundOff Ghost Recess Mount LED Lighthead - EGHST5

I was thinking these would blend in with white housing recessed mount. smaller hole and bright. nforce are great, used to have 4 just like the slim not very noticeable light until on and pricing. 
SOS has the nforce fit (their mini nforce) available in recess mount and a 6" oval nforce recess mount. I'd recommend those over the ghost for linear output

JEFFL19

May 20, 2015
south/central texas
I like the truck. But why do you think you need so many lights?
the way traffic is, i always have sheriffs officers and constables asking to trade vehicles with me cause no one will move for them. and theres ALOT of people who fail to yield for emergency vehicles where i live. but the traffic units around here have about 3 times what i have. they just use all whelen, which i can't afford.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I think it's too many lights, BUT if u don't wanna remove anything, I would work on syncing and slowing things down (i.e. sync the 2 rear Cobras so that the 4 blue modules alternate with the 4 red modules in a slow wigwag speed, pick 1 pattern and set the Apollo rear interior bar to flash slowly as well, slow down the grill lightstick).
Lookup the Florida FHP tahoes on YouTube and check out the rear setup for reference b/c they ran dual TAs in the rear for a long time and it looked good. Although you can't sync the TAs the same (since your lower window is 2 separate cobra sticks), the flash pattern they use is the right speed and effective. If you slow everything to the front and rear down and alternate all blue --> all red, the setup will look great and not like a seizure blur

JEFFL19

May 20, 2015
south/central texas
I think it's too many lights, BUT if u don't wanna remove anything, I would work on syncing and slowing things down (i.e. sync the 2 rear Cobras so that the 4 blue modules alternate with the 4 red modules in a slow wigwag speed, pick 1 pattern and set the Apollo rear interior bar to flash slowly as well, slow down the grill lightstick).
Lookup the Florida FHP tahoes on YouTube and check out the rear setup for reference b/c they ran dual TAs in the rear for a long time and it looked good. Although you can't sync the TAs the same (since your lower window is 2 separate cobra sticks), the flash pattern they use is the right speed and effective. If you slow everything to the front and rear down and alternate all blue --> all red, the setup will look great and not like a seizure blur
the bottom bar is actually a python 1000 that was damaged in a wreck and i put it together using 8 of the light heads, r/a/r/b open space where the 2 broke modules go then b/r/a/r, its wired in using the 4200 traffic advisor. i need to replace some f6 cause they're malfunctioning so In the process and free time I'm syncing and making r then b. just been busy

Last edited:

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
but the traffic units around here have about 3 times what i have. they just use all whelen, which i can't afford.

Ironically, you probably could have purchased a nice clean Whelen setup for the price you have invested in lights on that thing.

I'll just echo what has already been said, to many lights. Believe it or not, your vehicle can actually be a hazard on the side of the road with that much confusion going on to the rear.

Reactions: Eric1249

JEFFL19

May 20, 2015
south/central texas
Ironically, you probably could have purchased a nice clean Whelen setup for the price you have invested in lights on that thing.

I'll just echo what has already been said, to many lights. Believe it or not, your vehicle can actually be a hazard on the side of the road with that much confusion going on to the rear.

majority of the lights i have i got after i sold my old setup after i got in a wreck, since it was the other persons fault and some of the lights broke, the insurance company gave me money for all the damaged equipment since the other person was at fault. and i got a few light bars for free that my buddy had laying around. and both sirens and all my speakers were free. the back bottom half is synced, all the f6 on the sides are synced, the front is the only part not synced do to different brand lights. i do installs occasionally for vfds occasionally so the reason for all the lights is as stated above and to show i can do decent wire work and not make the vehicle look like a birds nest essentially a demo pov. and I'm done adding lights besides my led spot light replacement that I'm getting for christmas. i have another light stick I'm trying to sell

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
There is a lot of experience here when it comes to lighting. You don't need s may lights like others have said. I think it is actually more dangerous especially at night. The squads by me all have Liberty bars. They don't use the dim feature (I believe there is one) and I always hear that people are blinded when they approach the squads at night. I have a Cobra 600 synced with a pair of Cannons in my tails. I stopped to help a guy on a busy highway during rush hour. And I had no problems with people seeing my truck. Its about placement and good patterns.

JEFFL19

May 20, 2015
south/central texas
looked today and noticed one of the speakers that was screwed and tacked underneath to the crossbar behind the bumper broke off so I'm down a speaker. no telling where it went so if ya see one laying around let me know lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.