2010 Tahoe PPV

doctorkjt

May 25, 2010
Ft worth tx
ai723.photobucket.com_albums_ww234_doctorkjt_IMG_0239.jpg

Just acquired my new ride. had a 2009 tahoe that i outfitted and sold to the dept i work for. replaced it with this. looking forward to setting this one up after learning all i did on the first. definitely will take my time on this as it will be my patrol vehicle. i hesitate to even show it as im afraid the anti whacker crowd will attack, LOL, but it will be a working patrol car once im done. I went with the gray this time as my dept has this color as their vehicle choice although my last one was black and definitely looked bas A$$, but impossible to keep clean. this one is two weeks on a wash and still looks great. i work for 2 depts as a reserve and hoping to use it for both someday, so i dont want any ext markings. still not sure about lighting but open to suggestions. would prefer a slick top, but i will need mucho visibility as its gonna be a traffic car.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
You could put that Whelen outer edge on the back and still pull off stealth. most people don't know that it is a lightbar, or by the time that they do they will have torn by you anyway.

clarson76548

Aug 19, 2010
We have a Tahoe for our K-9 and I outfitted it with whelen LINZ6's........4 in the grill, 2 on each running board, mirror covers, inner edge, outer edge, rear license plate, a dual avenger in each rear window, and a set of whelen 200 in place of the fog lights....oh yeah and some Nova SD24 in the rear hatch...its a sexy beast when lit up.

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
looks good so far with nothen done to it yet. i would do a axixtech stealth visor 56 diode one plenty bright imo. along with some linz6 in the mirrors. put in the HAW also for more corner protection. are you gonna put a push bumper on the front??

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Looks good and your old one was real nice looking in all black with the lettering. I like the colour on your new one and I am sure you will make it look just a good if not better then.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Would you please clarify for this foreign member? :

- How do you "acquire" a PPV as a private individual? I thought all PP were sold exclusively to LE fleets.

- Or are you LE (you mention "patrol vehicle") and must buy your own patrol unit?

- If so, how come you sold your 09 Tahoe back to your own department?

Apologies if I'm prying here, but all these various police depts set ups in the US make for quite a fascinating subject ! ;o)

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
TheGatekeeper said:

- How do you "acquire" a PPV as a private individual? I thought all PP were sold exclusively to LE fleets.

- Or are you LE (you mention "patrol vehicle") and must buy your own patrol unit?

Apologies if I'm prying here, but all these various police depts set ups in the US make for quite a fascinating subject ! ;o)

There is no law in the US that says a private party cannot buy a police vehicle. It is simply the dealer that may restrict the sale of one only. Anyone can buy a new police vehicle, you just have to find a dealer that will sell you one and there are many of them. Yes he is a Texas Peace Officer and would not really matter as I bought a Tahoe from the same dealership he got his from and I am not in law enforcement. The only police vehicle in the USA that will not be available to the public is the 2012 Carbon Motors E7 and that is only the manufacture policy that will be strictly enforced. In Texas it is not uncommon for Peace Officers to buy their own vehicles, they are reimbursed to the purchase through a monthly allowance by most departments. This is mostly with the Constables or motorcycle units where they buy their own, but are still titled under the municipalities name.

Tri-State PSE

May 21, 2010
Middletown, Ohio
Ideas:

Either a Pinnacle (Sound-Off) or an ILS (Fed. Sig.) Undercover Visor bar.

Par 36's

HAW's

New Par 46 LED replacement for spotlight: http://www.sirennet.com/snsl1.html

Being unsure of your budget....here's a start... ;)

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I say you duct tape a flashlight with a blue lens to your dash, turn on your 4 ways and call it a day ;)

ILS, Viper dash light, HLF/TLF, TIR 6's in grill, HAW's in head and tail lights, mirror beams, outer edge, LINZ 6's on rear LP, slimlighter behind side cargo windows, and a rumbler tied to your favorite siren. Oh, and Sirius/XM.

doctorkjt

May 25, 2010
Ft worth tx
TheGatekeeper said:

i am a reserve texas peace officer. u can purchase police vehicles as a dept or individual with proper identification. some of these vehicles do get to the public as dept rejects after purchasing, but they often are as much as 4000-5000 more than department/individual officer prices. my understanding is that the dealer can sell to anyone if they choose, but could lose out on future supply if chevy gets wind of it. i think K9Vic pretty much summed it up above.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
doctorkjt said:
still not sure about lighting but open to suggestions. would prefer a slick top, but i will need mucho visibility as its gonna be a traffic car.

hey doc. looks nice. if i remember ur black tahoe b4, that was pretty sick too! ;)

if it were me, i'd do something like the following:

FRONT:

--inner edge

--pair of 500's for the grill

--HLF

--mirrorbeams or ghosts for the mirrors (ghosts under the mirrors if want something more low-pro than the mirrorbeams)

--(based on budget, maybe add something like a slimlighter w/ bailmount on the dash for centered mid-level warning)

SIDE:

--pair of 500's on the side of the front bumper for intersection

--pair of ghosts on each of the running boards

REAR:

--dominator t/a on the headliner (w/ color ends)

--pair of linz6's on LP

--depending on budget, a TLF or 4 LAWs in the brake lights

control everything w/ a cencom gold

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
K9Vic said:
There is no law in the US that says a private party cannot buy a police vehicle. It is simply the dealer that may restrict the sale of one only. Anyone can buy a new police vehicle, you just have to find a dealer that will sell you one and there are many of them. Yes he is a Texas Peace Officer and would not really matter as I bought a Tahoe from the same dealership he got his from and I am not in law enforcement. The only police vehicle in the USA that will not be available to the public is the 2012 Carbon Motors E7 and that is only the manufacture policy that will be strictly enforced. In Texas it is not uncommon for Peace Officers to buy their own vehicles, they are reimbursed to the purchase through a monthly allowance by most departments. This is mostly with the Constables or motorcycle units where they buy their own, but are still titled under the municipalities name.

I envy your guys flexibility and options in getting your vehicles... Amazing! It's just another world for our LE people here.

Well K9vic, thanks a mil, your answer's greatly appreciated.

May 22, 2010
New York City
i just designed a lighting package for a tahoe for a local ems fly car.......im not posting colors , you can add what color you want

Front:

Whelen Split inner edge - model specific

Whelen LAW - replacing DRL

Whelen - w/w flasher in headlights

Whelen - corner strobes in turn signal area

Whelen PAR 36 led in fog light area

Whelen Tir6 x 4 in grill

Side:

Whelen Vertex x2 surface mounted along the running board area

Whelen 500 series lin - flush recessed mount into the mirror, (little black area under the mirror) easy to do and blends in like a turn signal

Whelen Slimlighter MM 1 in each rear cargo windown

Rear:

Whelen 8 head linz6 dominator

Whelen vertex x 4 in red/tail lights

he didnt deicde on a siren yet, but he did order all those lights........

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.