2011 Chevy Impala 9C3 PPV

FFDGoss20

Jan 14, 2017
Central Pennsylvania
After much planning, purchasing, and persistent work, My second POV is finally done. This vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Impala 9C3 PPV. I purchased this from the federal government at auction in December of 2017. At that time, the vehicle only had 35,000 miles. This car is my daily driver and is about to turn 75,000 miles. It has been set up with a minimal light/siren package. Here is the equipment installed:

Interior:

Jotto Desk Impala Console/Base
Motorola XTL2500 UHF radio
Unitrol Touchmaster Delta siren
2 Carling rocker switches
Progard Safestop ignition system
Kussmaul USB charger
Sirius XM radio on Ram Mount
Magnetic mic clips
Streamlight Stinger DS with charging cradle
Soundoff Signal dual color dome light

Exterior:
Federal Signal ES100C on Impala Bracket
Whelen Ions (Behind grill and third side glass)
Whelen Spitfire Ions (on rear deck)
Whelen Single Avenger DUO (mounted on headliner bracket above RVM)
Whelen Impala Police Package flasher

Trunk: (on 1/8" aluminum plate)
Whelen SLFLASH flasher
Blue Sea Systems fuse block
100 amp circuit breaker
14 Volt 100 amp solenoid
Samlex 300 watt power inverter

Attachments

• 20201031_180226.jpg
    20201031_180226.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20201031_180238.jpg
    20201031_180238.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20201031_180728.jpg
    20201031_180728.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 86
  • 20201031_180645.jpg
    20201031_180645.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 91

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Nicely laid out. Lighting is simple but very effective and the same goes for your choice of patterns. Outstanding job with the wiring. I would just throw some simple intersection warning into the lower air dam in the front. Not sure if you clear intersections, but the side lighting in the rear quarter window suggests that you want to be seen from the side.

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
Nice set-up. After driving one of those for a couple of years with a very similar Red/Blue set-up, my only criticism would be the necessity for some intersection warning.

Your options are limited but as Kradog25 said you could add a light head down in the lower air dam area, or use something on a front license plate bracket or opt for some grommet mounted light head cut into the front fairing.

In my personal experience (Urban environment ~ 750 000 ppl), these cars are difficult to grab the attention of cross traffic with, and dangerous punching through Intersections without adequate intersection warning.

Take Care & Good Luck

Last edited:

FFDGoss20

Jan 14, 2017
Central Pennsylvania
Thanks for the input regarding intersection warning. This vehicle is a daily driver for me, and is setup with a minimal lighting package for POV response to my fire station. This vehicle will never be exceeding 60 MPH responding to incidents, and typically only has to clear a single 3 way intersection on its way to the fire station. It may also from time to time be used along the highway to direct traffic.

If it were being shipped to a police agency that was going to be driving high rates of speed all over a jurisdiction, I would certainly agree to add intersection lights. For what I am doing, I feel its just fine setup the way it is. If you watch closely in the video, you will see that the ION in the grille as well as the Avenger above the rear view mirror is providing some intersection coverage.

The goal with this is to keep things as simple yet effective as possible.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.