2011 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab

asweezy

May 20, 2010
Wellsville, NY
2011 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab

Equipment:

Havis Vehicle Specific Console (would not recomend )

CDM-1550LS VHF

CDM-1250 Low Band

Custom Cross Band Repeater

Carson SA-500M Siren

Whelen TADCTL1

Whelen Liberty (was purchased used from a chief, they are upgrading to LED takedown and Alleys)

4 Whelen LINZ6 Red in Grill (could not do X Pattern due to Grill Guard)

2 Axixtech SE3 mounted to side of grill guard (These produce terrible RFI and they ordered TIR3s as replacements after being in service less than an hour)

Sirennet siren speaker

2 Whelen LINZ6 in rear window Amber/Amber Split and Red/Blue Split these are not pictured amber/amber was on back order.

This is the first install under the new buisness name APS Electronics.

Photos and Videos http://www.flickr.com/photos/56680741@N03/

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
looks good and a clean install. outta curiosity, who'd they have do the graphics and how'd they determine that it was the axixtech se3's giving off the RFI?

i know it's how the customer wants it, but only thing i'd change is using 2 larger surface mounts for the grill instead of the smaller linz6's along w/ a HLF up front, and i'd either have moved the rear linz6's to being mounted on an LP bracket or addeds LAWs in brake lights for lower rear warning (since the liberty gives sufficient upper-level rear warning imo)

Last edited by a moderator:

asweezy

May 20, 2010
Wellsville, NY
VSP did the graphics did a very nice job. The sound of the flash pattern on the SE3s squelched through the radio. Disconected them and it stopped. We tried different grounds and many different combos. HLF is not an option it will melt the housings. LAWS in front turns and taillights are going to be added on as well as some sort of white LED centered in lower grill. I tried to talk them into putting LINZ6s on LP bracket the Chief was concerned about them getting knocked off. Also the Cable is ran through a grommet on back of cab at request of Commisioners not my choice at all. Also the pattern on the LINZ6s is cometflash the video does not catch it well.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Whats with adding some Blue lights to the rear. Its not the Law in NYS FD trucks can have Blue to the rear.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
Truck looks good. Nice simple warning package. The LINZ6s don't look bad in the grill, but I think that putting them in an X pattern might make them more eye catching. I know you said you couldn't do them for the grill guard.

asweezy

May 20, 2010
Wellsville, NY
VolEms said:
Whats with some Blue lights to the rear. Its not the Law in NYS FD trucks can have Blue to the rear.

About a month or 2 ago Gov Patterson signed allowing blue to the rear of fire apparatus

Yes a HLF will melt to OEM housings on the F and E series.

wema628

May 30, 2010
USA / Tennessee
asweezy said:
Yes a HLF will melt to OEM housings on the F and E series.
i have never seen that. i have put wigwags on both F and E series and just about everything else out there and have never seen that happen. now with HAW strobes i have seen it in tail lights. Do you have any pic. of the housing melting..

zacmtz7

May 21, 2010
Atlanta, GA
we have/had a HLF on our 08 expedition and the HLF melted the housing and the wires headed to the high beams. Created a real issue.

asweezy

May 20, 2010
Wellsville, NY
I will try to find the picture... its the newer style housings like 08 or 09 and up. There was a notice right from ford to not use HLF on those models.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Yeah, our newest F-Series is an 08 or 09, and our newest E-Series is an 09 or 10...

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
A friend of mine went to a local install shop with his 05 F-150 and they told him the same thing. However, he bought a flasher off me and has been using it with no problems. And I saw warnings when I bought a flasher for my 02 F-150 a few years back. Never seen it, but I guess it has happened.

Dan

ems60

May 22, 2010
USA / MA/ Cape Cod
The center section that goes over the bulb melts off and falls into the housing, it happened on my 06 F350, evidently when you run flashing hi beams with the low beams on creates to much heat.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I've never really liked the idea of putting a HLF on a dual filament bulb anyway, but if the flasher is hooked up properly (ie. the headlight kill wire is connected where it should be) I don't see where a problem would arise, but I'm sure Ford has their reasons... Besides, they circle the problem on all their vehicles... LOL

70 cutlass 442

Sep 17, 2010
WI
can you elaborate how you use the cross band setup? do you use VHF ht's and just re-broadcast it on low band.... or do you guys actually have two different bands you use?

asweezy

May 20, 2010
Wellsville, NY
They utilize 2 CDMs as stated, they are interfaced using a rick type repeater. The reason for this is better performance and lower price from VHFthan low band (33.70 MHz). They have one of these units in each of the chiefs vehicles and then this truck. They plan on adding a few more. The big driving point is the ability to purchase a VHF portable for half the price of a Low Band. Seems to work really well we are in the process now of licensing some VHF ops channels for them and they just ordered 9 more portables and a few more mobiles. The goal within a year is to have a cross band set up on a tower site to link the county dispatch to a VHF channel along with a VHF operations repeater.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.