2011 Tahoe SSV siren speaker location

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireRanger

Apr 17, 2011
The Desert, CA, USA
My agency has several 2011-2012 Tahoe SSV's that we've had outfitted by a professional shop. They mounted the siren speakers down behind the front bumper, directly behind the license plate. Unfortunately, the bumper is blocking all the sound from the speakers and motorists don't hear us until we're right up behind them (it's nice and loud for the officer though!)

Ideally, we would mount the speakers out on the push bars, but here's the problem with that: we are in a very snowy area and we have had snow cake into siren speakers mounted like that in the past - creating the same sound deadening effect the bumpers are now.

I wanted to find out where folks are mounting speakers in the newer Tahoes, and what kind of speaker/bracket combination you're using.

Thanks!

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Perhaps behind the grille? :undecided:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
The fire dept in Odessa has a 2011 Tahoe for their "Batt-mobile". They have one of those small Eagle motor sirens mounted into the grille with the speaker for their Whelen siren next to it. Both can be heard quite well.

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
Respondcode3 said:
Im pretty sure that isn't the right way to mount those speakers. If mounted correctly there is a drain hole on the bottom of the speaker?
The way the AS124s are designed, they can be spun so that the driver drain hole is at the bottom. Just take out the 4 hex head bolts in the front, spin the driver to hole facing down, and puts the bolts back in and tighten.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
ryanm said:
I have one of those to be installed tomorrow. We shall see how it works out!

I'd be careful on using the DynaMax speakers. The ones that I've seen used around here just didn't last long. Some of the PD units around here had them and they've since gone to CPI speakers of some sort. I'm using one of the octagonal looking speakers that has the Gall's ID and it's worked just fine.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
hitman38367 said:
The way the AS124s are designed, they can be spun so that the driver drain hole is at the bottom. Just take out the 4 hex head bolts in the front, spin the driver to hole facing down, and puts the bolts back in and tighten.

Yea... and how many installers do that... Thats why we use vehicle specific brackets for each vehicle.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
Skip Goulet said:
I'd be careful on using the DynaMax speakers. The ones that I've seen used around here just didn't last long. Some of the PD units around here had them and they've since gone to CPI speakers of some sort. I'm using one of the octagonal looking speakers that has the Gall's ID and it's worked just fine.

DynaMax speakers have been revised and upgraded since the days of the MS-100 and its non-field serviceable driver. The new ES-100 DynaMax with the field replaceable driver, is not failing 1/2 as much as the old style. In the photo example I provided, you'll see the difference. The two center speakers are ES-100s and the two outer are the older MS-100s.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
Respondcode3 said:
Yea... and how many installers do that... Thats why we use vehicle specific brackets for each vehicle.

Any installer that has half a brain cell and knows his products will do that. Those speakers were designed to be used horizontally and vertically by being able to rotate the driver for the drain hole to be in the proper position. The Chevy Impala is just one example of how the AS-124 is used vertically.

as124.jpg

Also, the bracket you see being used in the Tahoe grill is a vehicle specific bracket, for an AS-124 mounted in a Tahoe, in the grill.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
cajunblitz said:
DynaMax speakers have been revised and upgraded since the days of the MS-100 and its non-field serviceable driver. The new ES-100 DynaMax with the field replaceable driver, is not failing 1/2 as much as the old style. In the photo example I provided, you'll see the difference. The two center speakers are ES-100s and the two outer are the older MS-100s.

That's good to know. I bought an MS100 off ebay a few years back and loaned it to a vollie friend. He has a little Sho-Me siren in his pickup, and that MS100 blew first time he used it.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
I cant count how many times I have seen speakers mounted the wrong way by other shops and department mechanics. They fab up anything that fits or stuff it somehow where it doesnt belong.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
Respondcode3 said:
I cant count how many times I have seen speakers mounted the wrong way by other shops and department mechanics. They fab up anything that fits or stuff it somehow where it doesnt belong.

I'm with ya there, and I've seen many whack speaker installs that make me cringe too. In this case, Jon @ Lonestar had those brackets designed to accommodate the AS-124 because we were seeing whack AS-124 installs in the grill of Tahoes! The brackets are really nice, and they fit well. You can get a matching pair to accommodate 2 AS-124s in the grill of a Tahoe, which is becoming more requested around here and in Jon's neck of the woods these days.

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
cajunblitz said:
I'm with ya there, and I've seen many whack speaker installs that make me cringe too. In this case, Jon @ Lonestar had those brackets designed to accommodate the AS-124 because we were seeing whack AS-124 installs in the grill of Tahoes! The brackets are really nice, and they fit well. You can get a matching pair to accommodate 2 AS-124s in the grill of a Tahoe, which is becoming more requested around here and in Jon's neck of the woods these days.
...which I will be purchasing both brackets for my Tahoe to mount two more speakers for my other Omega 90 amp when all is said and done. lol!!!

octoberguy77

May 15, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I have one of those to be installed tomorrow. We shall see how it works out!
How did that bracket work out? I like it but Im concerned on the speaker not being mounted upright for drain hole purpose...I wonder if the speaker will last from it not being 'mounted correctly with drain holes at the bottom like it was intended' and the driver taking on water/moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.