2012 NPS Dodge Charger

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
BACKGROUND

Every time I post pictures and videos of our units, I end up answering the same questions. In hopes of heading that off, let me start with this quick bit of info:

These vehicles are operated by U.S. Park Rangers who have full law enforcement authority in units of the National Park System and for crimes committed in that system in which the criminal leaves. U.S. Park Rangers attend the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (the same place every Federal LEO goes except for FBI and DEA) for 17 weeks.

The job is not Ranger Smith chasing Yogi over some picnic baskets. While they haven’t run the numbers lately, U.S. Park Rangers have the dubious honor of having the highest assault rate of any federal, state, or local agency. We chase the same thugs that every other cop does; we just do it in better scenery. The “job” varies depends on where you work. If you work in Arizona, you chase smugglers and illegals. In the more remote parks, Rangers provide LE, EMS, Fire, and SAR services. If there’s a big body of water, the Rangers will be the ones doing the body recoveries. The NPS has been dealing with the same LE problems and have the same gear that most agencies have for years – for instance, I’ve carried a patrol rifle since 1997.

My particular duty station is a historic two-lane road that travels through three states. 80% of what we do is traditional highway patrol work – run RADAR, arrest DUI’s, investigate accidents, etc. 10% is game warden work like poaching patrols and running animal decoys. 10% is investigatory like follow-up on cases, plain clothes details, fugitive work, etc. My particular district is 108 miles long and is crossed by three major four-lane highways. We end up on these roads on a regular basis, chasing folks who started on us and exited on to those roads. We have a very high volume of traffic associated with commuters coming into the third largest city in the state and our road is in the middle of town and the unofficial bypass. IIRC, our district with 6 patrol guys (one committed to a lot of office duties) generated ~120 arrests to give you some idea of the work volume.

THE LIGHTING INFO

I’ve been building cars for work and more recently, specifying the setup of new cars for about 11 years. I’ve been driving emergency vehicles (police, fire and EMS) since 1986 I’ve also got a nerd streak and have read everything I can about effective lighting from the NHTSA material to the FHP study. I’ve developed some opinions about what works and what doesn’t work based particularly on parking vehicles and evaluating them from a distance.

Based on all of this I use these guidelines when setting up vehicles:

1) Front lights send a different message from rear lights

2) When the vehicle is moving a different message needs to be sent

3) Lights should define width or “footprint” of the vehicle

4) Slower flash patterns work better for stationary vehicles

5) Light heads should be on three levels and you don’t need a lot (no more than 4)

6) No flashing white lights when parked

7) Steady burns work

8) Flashing lights need some space between them to be most effective.

9) There is no substitute for square inches – bigger is better.

10) Lots of white light to the front for traffic stops.

This last year, the vast majority of our fleet was due for replacement and we were not going to be getting any more Crown Vics. This meant that we were going to be spending a lot of money (~106k) buying new gear (and recycling what we could) and getting it installed. We tried to get Chevy Caprices but were denied by GSA. We ended up with a mix of Dodge Chargers and Ford Interceptor Utilities. This is what we’re doing for the Chargers.

Lighting/Warning Equipment Installed

SOS Pinnacle Lightbar

SOS Rear Deck Traffic Advisor

Whelen M-6S to front

Whelen M-4S on side of push bumper

Whelen Mirror Beams

Whelen PAR-28 LEDs in fog lights

Whelen Cencom

CPI 200 Watt speaker

Setina Push Bumper

Setina Heavy-Duty Wrap Arounds

(2) Whelen ULF-44

Line Master Foot Switch

Interior Equipment Installed

Digital Ally 500+ In-Car Camera

Stalker RADAR

Jotto Desk Console

Setina Gun Locks

Laguna Transport Seat with seat belts

Setina Prisoner Partition

Misc

EV Modules Dodge Charger Interface

Blue Seas Fuse Block

75 Amp Relay (Warning Master)

(2) 30 Amp Relay

120 Amp Marine Circuit Breaker (supplies all installed equipment)

40 Amp Maxi-Fuse and Holder (for lightbar)

On/On Switch (for spotlight function)

Havis Equipment Drop Downs in trunk

Front View:

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_view_front_offMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_view_frontMedium.jpg

Side View:

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_view_side_drivMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_view_side_passMedium.jpg

Interior Shots:

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_consoleMedium.jpg

(Toggle switch controls the function of the passenger's side spot light - normal or with takedowns)

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_gunlocks_speakerMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_radar_cameraMedium.jpg

Trunk Shots:

The Charger is cursed with a small trunk. Last year we had two Charger that were setup with a full-width trunk tray. That left no space for equipment and we vowed not to repeat the same mistake. Our solution was to use the trunk equipment dropdowns from Havis. They mount in a space where not much else fits and provide a platform for the radio and warning equipment. The driver’s side has the Motorola radio and the passenger side has the Cencom and other wiring for the lights. With a good installer, it’s pretty amazing what you can cram onto these. The net result is that you have a lot of trunk space in a Charger.

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_dropdownsMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_dropdown_passMedium.jpg

(The Cencom has 12 outlets so we installed a 12 position bus bar. Each position on the bus bar corresponds to an outlet on the Cencom)

[Broken External Image]:http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/ajp3jeh/2012 Vehicles/Charger/dropdown_drivMedium.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_dropdown_exteriorMedium.jpg

(Latch broken in shipping, new ones on order)

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_power_feedMedium.jpg

Partially Blocked:

Since we spend most of our time on a two-lane road, oncoming traffic rarely sees the full front of the vehicle. Whether parked on a traffic stop or peeking around, trying to pass, the two-lane nature of our road makes lighting on the edge more important for us. A lot of folks have scoffed at warning lights in the fog lamp assemblies but it is right on the edge of the vehicle. This is all that an oncoming vehicle will likely see.

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_blocked_viewMedium.jpg

DUI Mode:

Since most of our stops are on a two-lane road, safely conducting field sobriety tests can be challenging. We really can’t turn off all of the front lights as we wouldn’t be warning oncoming traffic of our presence (which is generally partially blocking a lane). The solution is what we call DUI mode. When this is activated, the only front flashing lights are the mirror beams at 75fpm. The front of the lightbar is activated but is not flashing. One module of each color is on at full power like our normal steady burn lights. The other colored modules are running in cruise light mode. This makes very big and visible footprint of colored light but one that won’t interfere with tests. It isn’t impressive in this still photo but it works great at night. (For rear coverage, the full lightbar, traffic advisor, and traffic backer are running)

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_dui_modeMedium.jpg

Flash Patterns

The lights automatically change patterns when the vehicle goes into park. This is accomplished by wiring all of the white lights and pattern overrides onto one outlet of the Cencom and “pausing” that outlet based on a park kill input. The operator can push one button and restore the lights to the more urgent mode but that is rarely necessary.

In-Motion Flash Patterns:

When in motion, the entire side of the lightbar flashes. This generates a very large “footprint” of light. The sides of the lightbar alternate at 115fpm and the color change helps catch attention without becoming a purple blob. The takedowns are flashing together to also generate a large footprint. They are flashing at 200+ fpm which is not what I would have picked. However, this is the only way that the lights will flash together. If they just alternate, you end up with a dancing white dot in the center of the bar. (This is my only real gripe with the SOS Pinnacle) The front grill lights fire in an “X” pattern at 120 fpm in a simple, single flash pattern. This is fast enough to imply urgency but not so fast that the lights don’t appear to just flicker. The mirror beams also flash 120fpm simultaneously. The mirror beams seem to work better flashing together as they really define the entire width of the vehicle.

Stationary Flash Patterns

When the vehicle goes into park, the light bar changes character entirely. A red and a blue module both steady burn on the front and rear of the bar. Steady burn helps show that the vehicle is stationary and gives the eye something to track, helping passing motorist know where the vehicle is in order to avoid it. The remaining colored modules flash together at 75 fpm. This seems to be slow enough to avoid a big purple blob while generating a “footprint” that is the entire width of the vehicle. The whole bar “popping” on and off is very visible over long distances. The grill lights all slow to 75 fpm and flash together. The Mirror Beams also slow to 75 fpm and continue to flash together. When stationary, the grill lights and Mirror Beams are (supposed to be) synched so when they flash they really show the outline of the vehicle.

Miscellaneous Comments

I tried really hard to make the vehicle as user friendly as possible. Things like programming the Cencom to cutoff everything when the pursuit switch is turned off so you’re not manually turning off the takedowns or traffic advisor. I also put the passenger side spotlight on the takedown button. This is great when you’re working solo as it dumps light into the vehicle’s passenger compartment and creates the illusion that two officers are on-scene. This feature is switchable, allowing the spotlight to be used normally if so desired.

The siren can be controlled by a footswitch, leaving hands free for driving and the radio. The speaker for the mobile radio is mounted up and by the driver’s head so it can always be heard. All of the primary lighting modes are on the pursuit switch. (1-front only, 2-rear only, 3-front and rear). 95% of typical light/siren use can be done with the pursuit switch and foot switch.

I waffled about using bigger lightheads on the pushbumper. We’ve traditionally run M-4’s to the front and LINZ-6’s on the side. The cost to upgrade to M-6’s and M-4’s was minimal and was worthwhile. The larger footprint really is noticeable. At a distance the M-6’s are big enough to be visible at the same distance as the light bar, something that most secondary lighting can’t do.

(I am proud to announce that there are seven 12 volt power points in the console. Two by the cupholders, two on the passenger side of the console, and 3 inside the console for things like GPS's that will be effectively hard wired)

Gripes

I’m pretty happy with the setup with a few irritations. First and foremost, the Whelen Mirror Beams with Ion heads suck. They have a small, very specific hot spot and offer practically nothing outside of that sweet spot. I ended up having to put both alley lights on one switch. I’d prefer to have the respective sides on their own switches but I maxed out the number of outlets on the Cencom. Speaking of outlets, a lot of folks have complained about the foot switch. If the Cencom had more outlets, I would probably change the tones through the horn ring but can’t do it.

I learned the hard way that the M-series lightheads don’t like low power from a ULF. We had to order the “dumb” versions of the M-6’s and M-4’s in order to make them compatible with the ULF. The whole project was delayed by months waiting for Whelen to get around to manufacturing the dumb versions AND we had to pay more for the lights with less features.

As mentioned above, I wish that SOS would offer more slow patterns on their products. I’d love it if the takedowns flashed together at 120 fpm and if the traffic advisor had a nice slow, single flash option.

The Havis Drop Downs are good idea but they are not meant for heavy loads. One of our other Chargers has two radios installed on the dropdown. While the installer could make them both fit (impressively) the mount would self destruct if you allowed it to swing all the way down. The hinge system seems kinda weak for any serious weight.

Final Notes

The car in the photos is just back from the installer and hasn’t been striped yet, it will be a marked unit by next week. The actual work was done by Citizen’s Page in Corinth, MS. They did a great job with this install and other work they’ve done for us. They really loved the EV Modules interface - definitely good equipment. I've never been able to dim the backlighting on a Cencom - now we do.

(Video to follow)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Very jealous of your set up. I wish the GSA would treat us as nice. I like where your head is at with the park vs. moving patterns. Good looking install.

nblaser

Nov 22, 2011
Colorado
Does NPS LEs use primarily motorola radios? or do you as Bendix King as well? I come from the fed fire side of things..

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
nblaser said:
Does NPS LEs use primarily motorola radios? or do you as Bendix King as well? I come from the fed fire side of things..

I left the NPS in 2011 for local LE, it was a mix of Motorola and BK. Although Motorola was more popular in general.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
nblaser said:

It's the NPS. You have almost 400 units doing whatever they want. :)

As I understand it, there is a very short list of radios approved for purchase by Denver. IIRC, Motorola, Bendix King, and possibly a third vendor are on that list. Individual parks can then buy which ever radios they can afford. If a park has the extra money, they buy Motorola. If they don't have the money or aren't savvy about the technical end, they buy something other than Motorola. We are very fortunate to a have a brilliant radio guy who makes sure everything actually works and he is a Motorola fan boy. On the Parkway, we don't fund a big structural fire program, EMS program, or SAR prograrm. Most of the protection budget goes towards the LE side of the house which is why our equipment tends to be pretty good.

FWIW, Bendix King has been popular with the fire guys for a long, long time. I believe this goes back to the ability of Bendix Kings to run off of those clam shell battery packs that take AA batteries. Something very fire line friendly that Motorola never pulled off.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
PHENOMENAL SETUP!

It's one of the few where I can say that I personally wouldn't change a thing. And I love large grill lights; with an aggressive-looking pushbar, a small grill light would look puny IMHO. Looking forward to the vid

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Flashguy said:
But...what about...or... Nope I got nothing.

How about... colored lenses. That's the one single thing that would complete it. :thumbsup:

The best thing about this install is the amount of thought that's been put into it. You have your principles about various aspects of warning lights, and put those principles on your car... not something I see often.

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
John Hearne said:
FWIW, Bendix King has been popular with the fire guys for a long, long time. I believe this goes back to the ability of Bendix Kings to run off of those clam shell battery packs that take AA batteries. Something very fire line friendly that Motorola never pulled off.

Yep, I know a park that issued AA clam shells as the "spare" to their LEs. Not my style, but it's better than no clam shell at all, and they did finally buy real batteries around the time I left that unit.

FWIW's the third approved vendor for radios is Thales.... they suck.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
I forgot to mention in the original post that low power is hooked up on the lightbar and ULF-44's. The only thing not on the low power is the traffic advisor. Also forgot to mention that it has its own switch so you can run just amber to the rear if you want.

I'm struggling with the video. I thought I had reshot everything in low power but apparently not for a few shots. I'm also struggling with the size, it's either too big or too small. I hope to update this once the vehicle is striped.

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Charger_th_NATR_Charger_Draft.jpg

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Ah. One question... Have you actually typed all that or copy/pasted it ? :crackup:

Just teasing you... ;)

Impressive install, as much as the thought process put into it. That's superior work. Congrats sir. :thumbsup:

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
John Hearne said:
BACKGROUND
Flash Patterns

The lights automatically change patterns when the vehicle goes into park. This is accomplished by wiring all of the white lights and pattern overrides onto one outlet of the Cencom and “pausing” that outlet based on a park kill input. The operator can push one button and restore the lights to the more urgent mode but that is rarely necessary.

What is in bold above is my biggest concern with the set-up. With A fire or EMS vehicle, killing all front white lights while parked would make complete sense. However, from an officer safety issue, no white in the front is an issue when in "stationary mode".

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
However, from an officer safety issue, no white in the front is an issue when in "stationary mode".

The last time I checked, LE vehicles got hit on the side of the road just like fire and EMS vehicles, probably more so based on exposure. White lights, especially at night, are blinding and make it that much more difficult to figure out where the police vehicle is in relation to the passing "civilian's" car and for them to safely navigate.

(When I looked at the FBI LEOKA data it was hard to figure out was was the greater threat. In 2011, 11 were killed in pursuits or traffic stops. Killing the whites would only affect the traffic stops and we don't know how many of the 11 those were. Also in 2011, 5 died as a result of being struck by a vehicle. 30 died in auto accidents. I suspect that if an officer died as a result of injuries that occurred while s/he was seated in their vehicle, that would count as an accident. Again, not enough information to say for sure. I'd be willing to venture that the odds of being shot on a traffic stop are about the same as being struck by another vehicle, whether inside or outside of the patrol vehicle)

I'd also be curious to compare the number of officers feloniously killed on a traffic stop versus those struck by passing traffic - I suspect that passing trafffic may be a greater danger.

The white lights that stop are flashing takedowns, flashing alleys, and flashing headlights. If any officer is doing what they are supposed to the driver's side spotlight will be on, the takedowns will be on, and the passenger's side spotlight will be on. These won't be flashing and will be aimed at the suspect's vehicle. I can assure you that A LOT of white light is going forward, it's just aimed at the suspect and not flashing in a distracting/blinding manner. Finally, all of those flashing white lights are on a single switch. If really needed, they are one button away.

The other practical issue is just the number of outlets on the Cencom. Assuming you wanted to and had the outlets, you could leave the white lights flashing or slow their flash rate while changing the lightbar pattern. The problem is that the current Cencoms don't allow enough control over the lights due to the limited outlets.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
John, your previous install in the Crown Vic was fantastic, and so is this one. For what it's worth, I'm impressed by the amount of time and energy you put into creating a safe, yet effective setup. It's a nice break from "I'm going to put this light here because 1) it's cool, or 2) it's a place I can put one more light".

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Awesome set up! The only thing I would change would be tying the TA into bar also and add some blue TIR3's to a LP bracket that are set up to X pattern with the traffic backer (I believe a TA should be as high as possible on a car, and you would still have red and blue to the rear). Or maybe instead just use the bar's TA (amber TA override) and put in a pair of single head deck lights, similar to the CVPI you did.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Very well thought out setup.

Did you consider a dash light like a R/B dual avenger? Synced to the other lights naturally. Likewise rather then the Ions did you consider the SOS intersectors?

I also echo the comments about having the TA on the lightbar, personally I would sync all the lights 100%. Have the front lights alternating in a zigzag pattern through the 4 levels, lightbar, mirrors/dash/grill/foglights. I'd run the rear deck light synced 100% with the lightbar, including TA and rather then run traffic backer, which I'm not a fan of, I'd run something on the LP, vertically either side with the largest lighthead possible.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
How about... colored lenses. That's the one single thing that would complete it.
I agree but we're the only ones. I personally think that colored lenses are better looking but I am in the minority.

Why all the Whelen goodies and then a Sound Off lightbar?
We've been using SOS for a while now and are really happy with the products. We've run Whelen and Tomar lightbars before we started transitioning to SOS. SOS is very price competitive and a lot of it just came down to money - they are the best deal in a multi-mode lightbar. Also, the lightbars used on these vehicles were bought in the previous fiscal year with extra money in anticipation of a shortfall this year. We had 8 brand new Pinnacles sitting around - they were getting used.

The Whelen stuff is just a matter of what's available and function. Had Sound Off offered lightheads the same size as the M-6's, were cheaper, and did low power we'd have them. The Cencom is there because it does 90% of what we need and we had a number already installed. If there was something cheaper that did everything we wanted, we'd probably have them instead. If there was something out there that had more outlets, I would have made sure we had them instead. I'd have cut lights to have a siren/light controller with lots of outlets for several future generations of vehicles.

The only thing I would change would be tying the TA into bar also and add some blue TIR3's to a LP bracket that are set up to X pattern with the traffic backer (I believe a TA should be as high as possible on a car, and you would still have red and blue to the rear). Or maybe instead just use the bar's TA (amber TA override) and put in a pair of single head deck lights, similar to the CVPI you did.

There is an ideal and what we can afford. I like the TA as high as possible but we already had mono-color lightbars on hand. For me, the TA is a secondary warning and the lightbar is primary. I can assure you that the entire lightbar flashing is very impressive. We'd also lose the benefit of the entire bar "popping" and having the steady burn lights to the rear if we ran the TA in the bar. On the current setup, you see the TA a bit later, after the lightbar, and the TA sends you around as you get closer. I'm sure it could be done, but I've never seen anyone synchronize warning lights in a Charger. (I actually did this with a Crown Vic install and it was very cool)

I like the idea of some other colored lights lower on the car and thought about doing this. I'd like to see a red M4 and a blue M4 on the trunk lid in that area above the license plate (or maybe Predator 2's). I'd put the colors on opposite sides as well. It simply came down to money. Remember, we had to setup 15 vehicles off one pot of money. There's what we wanted and what we could afford.

Did you consider a dash light like a R/B dual avenger? Synced to the other lights naturally. Likewise rather then the Ions did you consider the SOS intersectors?

No. On my last car, I had CHMSL Talons and Series 500 heads on the rear deck. Once you got a little ways away, the Talons were completely overwhelmed by the brighter heads. Putting an Avenger on the dash might look cool up close, but you'd never see it 1/2 mile away. Also, I really like lights that outline the vehicle - mirror lights do this better than anything else, a dashlight defeats that purpose.

As far as Intersectors, yes they were considered and they will be used on our Interceptor Utilities. I went with Whelen MirrorBeam based on years (or decades) of them being great warning equipment. I didn't think Whelen would be so stupid as to turn out such a crappy product. If they had just kept Series 500 heads they'd be great. I'm curious to see if the wide version of the Ion would work better.

personally I would sync all the lights 100%...rather then run traffic backer, which I'm not a fan of, I'd run something on the LP, vertically either side with the largest lighthead possible.
While I like the idea, SOS lightbars aren't going to synch with the Whelen lightheads. Again, the issue of money. Traffic backers are "free" and just require 12 volts to one wire.

Misc Thoughts

The more I play around with cruise lights, the more I like them. I just wish that SOS had more configuration options in their setup. You have one trigger wire for cruise lights and the ones you selected are activated. I'd love to see an option for front or rear cruise lights or a Cruise 1 and Cruise 2. Cruise lights seem to be the way to mark vehicles parked off the roadway at night without freaking everybody out.

arsenal10

Jun 9, 2010
California
Almost seems as though you've taken a page out of CHP's book with the slow flash patterns, steady burn, and park kill options. Very nice job.

jo_ball13

Apr 27, 2011
Wisconsin
Awesome install! Your ideas are exactly what I would like out of my patrol car. Unfortunately... I don't get a say in the patterns or what lights are installed or where.

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
John Hearne said:
The actual work was done by Citizen’s Page in Corinth, MS. They did a great job with this install and other work they’ve done for us.
I frequent Steve's place quite often. It's only 15 minutes from the house. The man is awesome. I can't say enough positive things about him. I watched him and his guys building y'all's new Interceptor Utilities for the past few months. Your equipment is very well laid out and definitely installed the way it should be.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Love that you sheared the thought process. It helps us upfitters with ideas. I like the duel mode flashpattersns. Why did u go with a SOS bar and not Whelen?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I have learned so much from this thread. A lot of the inspiration for my POV came from this instal. Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.