2012 NPS Ford Utility Slicktop

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
BACKGROUND

Every time I post pictures and videos of our units, I end up answering the same questions. In hopes of heading that off, let me start with this quick bit of info:

These vehicles are operated by U.S. Park Rangers who have full law enforcement authority in units of the National Park System and for crimes committed in that system in which the criminal leaves. U.S. Park Rangers attend the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (the same place every Federal LEO goes except for FBI and DEA) for 17 weeks.

The job is not Ranger Smith chasing Yogi over some picnic baskets. While they haven’t run the numbers lately, U.S. Park Rangers have the dubious honor of having the highest assault rate of any federal, state, or local agency. We chase the same thugs that every other cop does; we just do it in better scenery. The “job” varies depends on where you work. If you work in Arizona, you chase smugglers and illegals. In the more remote parks, Rangers provide LE, EMS, Fire, and SAR services. If there’s a big body of water, the Rangers will be the ones doing the body recoveries. The NPS has been dealing with the same LE problems and have the same gear that most agencies have for years – for instance, I’ve carried a patrol rifle since 1997.

My particular duty station is a historic two-lane road that travels through three states. 80% of what we do is traditional highway patrol work – run RADAR, arrest DUI’s, investigate accidents, etc. 10% is game warden work like poaching patrols and running animal decoys. 10% is investigatory like follow-up on cases, plain clothes details, fugitive work, etc. My particular district is 108 miles long and is crossed by three major four-lane highways. We end up on these roads on a regular basis, chasing folks who started on us and exited on to those roads. We have a very high volume of traffic associated with commuters coming into the third largest city in the state and our road is in the middle of town and the unofficial bypass. IIRC, our district with 6 patrol guys (one committed to a lot of office duties) generated ~120 arrests to give you some idea of the work volume.

THE LIGHTING INFO

I’ve been building cars for work and more recently, specifying the setup of new cars for about 11 years. I’ve been driving emergency vehicles (police, fire and EMS) since 1986 I’ve also got a nerd streak and have read everything I can about effective lighting from the NHTSA material to the FHP study. I’ve developed some opinions about what works and what doesn’t work based particularly on parking vehicles and evaluating them from a distance.

Based on all of this I use these guidelines when setting up vehicles:

1) Front lights send a different message from rear lights

2) When the vehicle is moving a different message needs to be sent

3) Lights should define width or “footprint” of the vehicle

4) Slower flash patterns work better for stationary vehicles

5) Light heads should be on three levels and you don’t need a lot (no more than 4)

6) No flashing white lights when parked

7) Steady burns work

8) Flashing lights need some space between them to be most effective.

9) There is no substitute for square inches – bigger is better.

10) Lots of white light to the front for traffic stops.

This last year, the vast majority of our fleet was due for replacement and we were not going to be getting any more Crown Vics. This meant that we were going to be spending a lot of money (~106k) buying new gear (and recycling what we could) and getting it installed. We tried to get Chevy Caprices but were denied by GSA. We ended up with a mix of Dodge Chargers and Ford Interceptor Utilities. This is what we’re doing for the Utilities that are setup as slicktops (we have several with lightbars).

Lighting/Warning Equipment Installed

SOS Pinnacle Interior Lightbar

SOS Ultra Light 8 head Exterior Warning Bar

Whelen M-6S to front

Whelen M-6S to rear

Whelen Vertex in rear lights

Whelen M-4S on side of push bumper

SOS Mirror Intersectors

SOS Surface Mount Intersectors

Whelen PAR-28 LEDs in fog lights

Whelen Cencom

CPI 200 Watt speaker

Setina Push Bumper

Setina Heavy-Duty Wrap Arounds

(3) Whelen ULF-44

Line Master Foot Switch

Interior Equipment Installed

Digital Ally 500+ In-Car Camera

Stalker RADAR

Jotto Desk Console

Setina Gun Locks

Pro-Gard Trasport Seat with Cargo Partition

Misc

Blue Seas Fuse Block

75 Amp Relay (Warning Master)

(2) 30 Amp Relay

120 Amp Marine Circuit Breaker (supplies all installed equipment)

On/On Switch (for spotlight function)

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Slicktop_20Utility_front_zpsc9aafe1b.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Slf6c69949bfb08f2af354a458f657e606.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sl165d87ac1c7b3cd3cdfa08fa833068ee.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sl9af615f9e9e73dc89dc0de46de1817e2.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sld506aee65feea8cd02bbb5a282a86dbf.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sl2d76ebd55725e72ab410ab7e92e924aa.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sl92fb428800ea14a4a06af5d6726213fb.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sl90947100db527a626e63390c50d3722d.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Slb0b51275a1a6017b4d67ba1e14ac7c7c.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Slb0eedb7e268d07d084e1c63988433ae2.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sl80bd824af1f45022cd61e6c19ef0b949.jpg

DUI Mode:

Since most of our stops are on a two-lane road, safely conducting field sobriety tests can be challenging. We really can’t turn off all of the front lights as we wouldn’t be warning oncoming traffic of our presence (which is generally partially blocking a lane). The solution is what we call DUI mode. When this is activated, the only front flashing lights are the mirror beams at 75fpm. The front of the lightbar is activated but is not flashing. One module of each color is on at full power like our normal steady burn lights. (For rear coverage, the full lightbar, traffic advisor, and traffic backer are running)

Flash Patterns

The lights automatically change patterns when the vehicle goes into park. This is accomplished by wiring all of the pattern overrides onto one outlet of the Cencom and “pausing” that outlet based on a park kill input. The operator can push one button and restore the lights to the more urgent mode but that is rarely necessary.

In-Motion Flash Patterns:

When in motion, the entire side of the lightbar flashes. This generates a very large “footprint” of light. The sides of the lightbar alternate at ~115fpm and the color change helps catch attention without becoming a purple blob. The takedowns are alterating as they are tied to the colored modules by design.

Originally, the front grill lights fire in an “X” pattern at 120 fpm in a simple, single flash pattern. When doing some road side testing, we accidentally discovered a more effective setup. We found that when you flashed two lights of the same color together you get an optical illusion of a bigger footprint of light. We also found that flashing all of the lights together generated a lot of “punch” to the front. We ended up using a 120 fpm pattern but it alternates flashing the reds and blues in an alternating and then simultaneous fashion.

Miscellaneous Comments

I tried really hard to make the vehicle as user friendly as possible. Things like programming the Cencom to cutoff everything when the pursuit switch is turned off so you’re not manually turning off the takedowns or traffic advisor. I also put the passenger side spotlight on the takedown button. This is great when you’re working solo as it dumps light into the vehicle’s passenger compartment and creates the illusion that two officers are on-scene. This feature is switchable, allowing the spotlight to be used normally if so desired.

The siren can be controlled by a footswitch, leaving hands free for driving and the radio. The speaker for the mobile radio is mounted up and by the driver’s head so it can always be heard. All of the primary lighting modes are on the pursuit switch. (1-front only, 2-rear only, 3-front and rear). 95% of typical light/siren use can be done with the pursuit switch and foot switch.

I waffled about using bigger lightheads on the pushbumper. We’ve traditionally run M-4’s to the front and LINZ-6’s on the side. The cost to upgrade to M-6’s and M-4’s was minimal and was worthwhile. The larger footprint really is noticeable. At a distance the M-6’s are big enough to be visible at the same distance as the light bar, something that most secondary lighting can’t do.

(I am proud to announce that there are seven 12 volt power points in the console. Two by the cupholders, two on the passenger side of the console, and 3 inside the console for things like GPS's that will be effectively hard wired)

Gripes

I’m pretty happy with the setup with a few irritations. First and foremost, the SOS interior lightbars do not have the flexibility of their external lightbars. If you look at our Charger installs, we effectively have three different modes of operation. With the interiors, you only have two modes. We tried flashing the takedowns on an external flasher but the response of the takedowns was too slow for this to work well. There is no ready way to flash the takedowns and have them stop flashing. The other issue is that the tint on the Ford Pursuit Interceptors is fairly dark. The output of the internal bar is reduced by having to fight this tint and the drop in output is fairly significant. When combined with the lack of a headlight flasher, I had less concerns with the takedowns flashing while parked. I have similar gripes about the SOS Ultalight bar. The warning pattern is the most sedate that I can find. I would love to have the entire bar flash at 75 fpm in a simple single flash.

I learned the hard way that the M-series lightheads don’t like low power from a ULF. We had to order the “dumb” versions of the M-6’s and M-4’s in order to make them compatible with the ULF. The whole project was delayed by months waiting for Whelen to get around to manufacturing the dumb versions AND we had to pay more for the lights with less features.

As mentioned above, I wish that SOS would offer more slow patterns on their products. I’d love it if the takedowns flashed together at 120 fpm and if the traffic advisor had a nice slow, single flash option.

Install Notes

The actual work was done by Citizen’s Page in Corinth, MS. They did a great job with this install and other work they’ve done for us.

Living With the Utility

I have been driving Ford Crown Vics as a patrol vehicle since 1997. Leaving the Crown Vic was a mixed blessings. The Utility is a better vehicle overall than the Crown Vic but it’s internal capacity is not as useful. To this end, I had to come up with some tweaks to help with storage.

For instance, in the factory configuration, the arm rest blocks a useful storage area that could be useful. I cut the arm rest and added a heavy duty hinge to make the area accessible.

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sl0101c07be3188595b568e182b3e488a9.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sld04db23af2c0075a801b1f2bc38ef7fc.jpg

The rear cargo area presented some challenges as well. I wanted a way to keep critical equipment readily accessible while keeping everything else organized. My solution was this section of plywood and 2x4’s. It is mounted with four bolts and wing nuts and is removed very quickly and easily.

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sl111f1b2ae519f8af39f1c16bc4f2d04c.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Slff99fff8c499cac40f5ebc6c935dd804.jpg

We mounted the radio, Cencom, and other equipment on the back of the rear cargo partition. This created the need to protect that equipment. There are a some nice alternatives from some manufacturers but we didn’t have the money for that. Our solution is a section of plywood, hinged at the bottom. It may not be elegant but it works great.

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Slf117e6ec45ab635b3fc44a8f2db7fdfd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Doug

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Job well done.

As far as this:

Based on all of this I use these guidelines when setting up vehicles:

1) Front lights send a different message from rear lights

2) When the vehicle is moving a different message needs to be sent

3) Lights should define width or “footprint” of the vehicle

4) Slower flash patterns work better for stationary vehicles

5) Light heads should be on three levels and you don’t need a lot (no more than 4)

6) No flashing white lights when parked

7) Steady burns work

8) Flashing lights need some space between them to be most effective.

9) There is no substitute for square inches – bigger is better.

10) Lots of white light to the front for traffic stops.

You think like I do. Its obvious by some of the videos we see on here that a lot of people dont believe these principles.

Reactions: Doug

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
John I feel your pain about dealing with GSA. You still have it better of than the DoD.

To the thread: I love seeing your installs. Always well thought out and executed. I just can't say enough good things about your fleet. I should show this threat and your others to my unit as a "how to do it right" guide. Even with less lights the priciples can still be in place. Great work as always.
:drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :hail: :hail: :hail: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
John Hearne said:
I’m pretty happy with the setup with a few irritations. First and foremost, the SOS interior lightbars do not have the flexibility of their external lightbars. If you look at our Charger installs, we effectively have three different modes of operation. With the interiors, you only have two modes. We tried flashing the takedowns on an external flasher but the response of the takedowns was too slow for this to work well. There is no ready way to flash the takedowns and have them stop flashing. The other issue is that the tint on the Ford Pursuit Interceptors is fairly dark. The output of the internal bar is reduced by having to fight this tint and the drop in output is fairly significant. When combined with the lack of a headlight flasher, I had less concerns with the takedowns flashing while parked. I have similar gripes about the SOS Ultalight bar. The warning pattern is the most sedate that I can find. I would love to have the entire bar flash at 75 fpm in a simple single flash.

You seem to have a pretty good equipment budget, so I'd suggest looking into the Federal Signal ILS for future interior light bars. They have 3 modes with pattern overrides. We because of this we've been using them for all our interior bars.

Whelen has the WeCan Inner Edge coming out too. I'm hoping it'll be capable of multiple modes. It would make purchasing so much easier all from one GSA vender.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Hoff said:
Even with less lights the priciples can still be in place.

I was really surprised with how well the back works. The 4 M-6's are the only thing you see at any distance. The Vertex are only there in case the hatch is raised and the Ions are basically marker lights. Even though there are only four lights but using lights with a big foot print, in contrasting colors, and flashing them slowing to avoid "purpling" the setup is amazingly effective. We really were surprised at how well flashing all four heads worked, it was an accidental discovery. You just have to be careful to flash them slow enough. Since the back of the truck is curved and the M-6's have good off-axis, this vehicle has really good 360 degree coverage.

As you approach the vehicle, the three styles of lighting work great. First, you see the bright ass M-6's popping slowly, informing you of the presence of the emergency vehicle. Next you see the traffic advisor, which is isolated from the flashing lights by space, directing you to the left. Finally, as you get close, you have the Ions, marking the width of the vehicle and making sure you know how far to move over without any distracting flashing. This shows how important it is to separate the primary flashing lights from the secondary lights to give the secondary lights a chance to communicate. If you ran some form of Outer Edge and the traffic advisor, the TA would be worthless.

If I were to change anything, it would be to run the "wide" version of the Ions. The off-axis of the standard Ion is practically non-existent and you lose them quickly when not approaching directly from behind. The next change, though more complicated, would be the flash the traffic advisor as one unit at about 75 fpm, in a perfect world, it would synched with the M-6's. The current pattern is as sedate as it gets.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
The following pics may be useful for others trying to setup Utilities. These are from a non-standard setup that is supposed to be more covert.

Rear Lights - Code 3 Citadel for rear facing and SOS Mirror Intersectors for rear corners:

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sl76e1f4b0b29193dfb577211a50651c0d.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Slf4411bc542793631bfae5c841e4e9947.jpg

Primary Front Warning - 2 eight head Dominator Pluses, buried into grill:

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sl7e2e410b335f0dfa5694abe9e53aba66.jpg

This is a right fit. If the top Dominator was a six head, it would be completely buried.

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
John Hearne said:
The next change, though more complicated, would be the flash the traffic advisor as one unit at about 75 fpm, in a perfect world, it would synched with the M-6's. The current pattern is as sedate as it gets.

Not complicated at all.......CANTROL! :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.