2013 Chevy 2500 Battallion Chief truck - updated 5/13/13

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
This truck is still in process, but thought I would take a video of it today and put it up. at 3:30 I run the is3000 siren with the howler low tone system. Video does not do these lights justice. They seem bright on the video, but you should see them in person.

2013 Chevy 2500 6.0l Gas

Use:

Fire Rescue front line Battallion Chief

Equipment

(2) Motorola APX 6500

(1) Motorola APX 7500 dual band, Dual Head

(1) Bendix King Mobile Mount

(1) Fire com head set system - tied to all radios

(1) On Scene Sliding bed tray

(1) Recelect Custom rear seat desk, command shelf

(1) Ram mounts Console

(1) Ram mount laptop stand

(1) Havis docking station

(1) go pro hd camera mounted on Ram mounts camera mount

(1) Emergency Mayday button system

(1) samlex pure sine inverter

(1) Kussmaul autoeject plug

(1) Intellitec 45 amp charger.

(1) Go rhino push bumper.

(2) Rontan CS11 siren speakers

Lighting

(1) Rontan Maximum Super Takedown Lightbar with low profile opticom

(8) Rontan Quasar Blaze 7x3 light heads - Synced

(2) Rontan LED Light Plus - ON mirrors

(4) Feniex Cannon red/white hideaways - front and rear light housings

(1) Feniex Cobra 600 series bar under bed cover

(1) Feniex Titon 400 work light under bed cover

(2) on Scene Solutions rail light under bed cover

(1) Rontan IS3000 Intelligent siren and light control

(1) Whelen Howler Low tone siren system

(1) Whelen Solid state headlight flasher

(1) Go light robotic light

Build photos to come. Interior is still torn apart and not complete. I will post nightime videos and completed pictures soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Wow, this is undoubtedly one of my favorite installs in a Long time...nice 360 coverage, larger lightheads (thankfully, no tiny TIR3's on the truck), & no split fails on the surface mounts. I'm no a huge fan of the split cannons (I'd rather have all clear up front, and either all red or all amber to the rear), but with such a solid install, I really can't complain about something that small.

One disappointment, and it's nothing on your behalf, is that they didn't go with a camper shell...I just think of all that the potential storage & equipment space back there could've practically doubled (then all you would've had to tweak is mount the Cobra to the rear headliner and call it a day). Big props to u guys on mounting the go light on an elevated pedestal; I can't stand when people mount them on the center of a vehicle without elevating them, b/c pretty much none of your side illumination can be used unless you pull up like 30+ ft away from the item you want to illuminate (because the roof obstructs anything closer than that)

9.5/10!!!

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
pdk9 said:
Wow, this is undoubtedly one of my favorite installs in a Long time...nice 360 coverage, larger lightheads (thankfully, no tiny TIR3's on the truck), & no split fails on the surface mounts. I'm no a huge fan of the split cannons (I'd rather have all clear up front, and either all red or all amber to the rear), but with such a solid install, I really can't complain about something that small.

One disappointment, and it's nothing on your behalf, is that they didn't go with a camper shell...I just think of all that the potential storage & equipment space back there could've practically doubled (then all you would've had to tweak is mount the Cobra to the rear headliner and call it a day). Big props to u guys on mounting the go light on an elevated pedestal; I can't stand when people mount them on the center of a vehicle without elevating them, b/c pretty much none of your side illumination can be used unless you pull up like 30+ ft away from the item you want to illuminate (because the roof obstructs anything closer than that)

9.5/10!!!

Thanks! I HATE small little lights on the sides of these trucks, they look cool and bright inside the install bay, but outside responding or from a distance they really get lost on the side of the truck. This department has 3 other trucks that another company outfit and they all used those small little lights. When we first started specing this truck, the department kept saying "we want to be visable". When they came to see the truck they were all surprised at the visibility of those 7x3s even in bright sun and from a distance, not to mention, the Rontan bar is unreal. Daytime video never does any lights any justice...

As far as the cannons, They are a huge hit with these guys. The front could deffinitly be all clear, BUT I like the dual color because there is no extended off time. Could an all clear be brighter? sure, but hands down, these cannons running 1/2 the leds are brighter then any other hideaway we sell or have sold. I also REALLY like the dual input function, so the rear ones work as both the warning light and as the backup lights.

I was extremely surprised by the tonneau cover instead of a cap, (heck, I was surprised we were doing a truck instead of a Tahoe) as ALL of their other trucks have caps, but I guess realistically, the equipment this thing carries is basically Radios and those are mounted in the cab. It will have a few tools on board, like bolt cutters and a water cooler, but really, the rear bed tray will have nothing in it.

The back 2/3rd seat is removed and all the electronics are in it's place. That is being covered up by a cabinet that will store more portable radios, Thermal imager, etc. That cabinet also is being built to allow a work station in the rear passenger seat with radios etc... the attached pictures are of the design before it was sent to the fab shop.

command cabinet 4.jpg

command cabinet1.jpg

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
Normally chevrons to the front make me want to vomit, but these actually look pretty good. All GM/Chevy needs to do is hire Ford's interior designer, and I'd jump brands in a heartbeat, I love the way the Silverados look on the outside, especially all blinkied out like this!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Patrick, those pics look sick! I can't wait to see the 2nd row...be sure to take lots of pics when it comes back from the fab shop before and after you install it!

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
Good install. I agree on the split cannons, solid white to the front and having either 2 solids or 4 solids to the rear would have been better.

I also hate the lopsided way the lightbar looks with the opticom mounted in it (more visible light on the driver's side) but that's more of an issue with Rontan

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
bfd740 said:
Good install. I agree on the split cannons, solid white to the front and having either 2 solids or 4 solids to the rear would have been better.

I also hate the lopsided way the lightbar looks with the opticom mounted in it (more visible light on the driver's side) but that's more of an issue with Rontan

The Split cannons have been the 2nd most commented on lighting from the department (1st being the lightbar) when they have come to view it. They love them and the fact that they "change" color. All vehicles that I put out for Loveland will have these in them, that is for sure.

They are also used to having a dead spot in their lightbar from having an opticom, Any lightbar that has the low profile emitter built in will have that dead spot. Some are just able to put it exact center, but on the 54" Maximum Center is not possible.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
WIRED HDH said:
They are also used to having a dead spot in their lightbar from having an opticom, Any lightbar that has the low profile emitter built in will have that dead spot. Some are just able to put it exact center, but on the 54" Maximum Center is not possible.

I realize that, and it's one of the reasons why I like the strobe emitters instead. (1: you don't have to have a "dead spot" and 2: you always know if it's working by looking at it.) I'm kind of anal about things like that, if it were MY vehicle I would have either used a dash mounted one or mounted a stand-alone opticom under the golight.

Nothing against you as the installer, the truck looks great and it's not your fault that it mounts the way it does in that size lightbar, it's just that it's the type of thing that drives ME nuts.

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
bfd740 said:
I realize that, and it's one of the reasons why I like the strobe emitters instead. (1: you don't have to have a "dead spot" and 2: you always know if it's working by looking at it.) I'm kind of anal about things like that, if it were MY vehicle I would have either used a dash mounted one or mounted a stand-alone opticom under the golight.

Nothing against you as the installer, the truck looks great and it's not your fault that it mounts the way it does in that size lightbar, it's just that it's the type of thing that drives ME nuts.

I agree with you on knowing that it works. The low profile unit has 4 red leds that flash for 10 seconds or so to tell you it is working, but then they shut off. I will say I actually did try to buy the low profile emitter as a standalone unit, but they said NO, it has to be sold and installed by the light bar manufacturer. If I could have mounted the low profile unit directly under the go light, It would have looked great, but the bigger strobe unit that I could have purchased individually would not have fit very well under the go light, and I would have had to make another bracket and mount it next to it, which the department really did not want. We could have investigated the possibility of mounting a dash mounted one, but the spec had called for a "Lightbar with built in opticom". Honestly though, it is a huge step up from their current light bars. The last company that did an install for them literally screwed the bigger strobe opticom to the front lens of the light bar in front of active LEDs. It falls off all the time...

I will say, the location it is in now doesn't so much bother me with the red warning, but it does drive me nuts when I have the take downs on. The entire front of the bar turns clear, and I keep thinking, "hmm, looks like a hillbilly missing a tooth". when we are done I will post more pics and video with the take downs on...

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
WIRED HDH said:
I agree with you on knowing that it works. The low profile unit has 4 red leds that flash for 10 seconds or so to tell you it is working, but then they shut off. I will say I actually did try to buy the low profile emitter as a standalone unit, but they said NO, it has to be sold and installed by the light bar manufacturer. If I could have mounted the low profile unit directly under the go light, It would have looked great, but the bigger strobe unit that I could have purchased individually would not have fit very well under the go light, and I would have had to make another bracket and mount it next to it, which the department really did not want. We could have investigated the possibility of mounting a dash mounted one, but the spec had called for a "Lightbar with built in opticom". Honestly though, it is a huge step up from their current light bars. The last company that did an install for them literally screwed the bigger strobe opticom to the front lens of the light bar in front of active LEDs. It falls off all the time...

I will say, the location it is in now doesn't so much bother me with the red warning, but it does drive me nuts when I have the take downs on. The entire front of the bar turns clear, and I keep thinking, "hmm, looks like a hillbilly missing a tooth". when we are done I will post more pics and video with the take downs on...

Too bad there wasn't a hotfoot option

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Nice installs but I actually like the Chevelle in the video, looks like a 69 or 70? :D

mhchockey84

Jun 27, 2011
NJ
Is it just me or does the center of the lightbar seem off? I would swear that the right side has more lights then left if ur looking at the truck from the front

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
bfd740 said:
Too bad there wasn't a hotfoot option

I think your talking about an option for the feet to have lighting? And there actually is for takedown and alleys, it is called the MAGFOOT LED. it is a $300ish option. Not sure I could mount the opticom to that either... after looking at the low profile unit, I am not convinced it is waterproof... I think it has to be mounted inside the lightbar.

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Finally got this all done and had some time to post a few pics and a full walkaround video.

Watch in HD.

Also, the night time shots get shaky. I was yelling at my dog to get out of the way on a few of the videos. He was "a deer in the headlight flashers" and wouldn't move.

You deffintily gotta watch the night time shots (more towards the end of the video) to see the rear bed lighting.

if you get to the interior shots, the little RED button is an emergency tone generator. when pushed it sends an emergency tone over the radio system to signify emergency traffic.

No there is not a burnt out module in the lightbar. There is an opticom in the "missing" section.

The department picked this vehicle up and got a structure fire the next morning. I went out and took some pictures at the scene and when I got there, another truck we did 2 years ago was sitting in front of it (the white ford). Amazing the difference 2 years can make in lighting. The white truck had a Whelen Package, with a Whelen Justice and Whelen Vertexes in the rear tail light. I remember thinking WOW, this stuff is awesome when we were installing it. Now though, this new Red truck puts that light package to shame as you can see at 17:55. Both lightbars have "cruise" mode on, and both vehicle have rear hideaways.

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_207abe5158efd37c91394388d73f764026.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_201a3085d001945074334b76e9f6fe8e9d.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_204ee3331a41511b5768d2ba5775696a5d.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_2031831cb4c3f490b9a3916d20fc666ff1.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_2018f64f986506f8ae291c013c590d53ee.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_20df5a885d2042529db66bd866f36e2eee.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_203483dd360d4c47c4f2dbc346e1426c9e.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_20b9b8c0c98f65d2f3be74bf486dbaf66a.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_20bc3cfc27432d501ed0d58664f413c465.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_20d22e1fcaaed6439620a2b5a2aa8c39e6.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_200d8be1b80124ad9f84138a357ee3c3f9.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_20b47bf38604ecee9049a011ad9113c0bc.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_2062c664be378e1489216e4317143c099d.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_201a3085d001945074334b76e9f6fe8e9d.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_20b504f049974da0242395f0a72a4a30e1.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_201ed63d324682d4efa760518b9c03e86a.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_200dd4906c1fd273abece1400846c3369a.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_2066828e11f2eca5f2ebc0f49df19d7c62.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_Loveland_20Fire_2065e734e38832a37dcf6552e0940b594d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
WOW!!! :eek: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Perfect! A+

love the NFPA style white in drive, red in park. love the 3 color screens on the 3 different radios in the cab. the the sticks under the rear cover, love the RONTAN siren unit and lightbar. LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS TRUCK!!!! Great job!! :thumbsup:

best/cleanest/most well thought out installs ive seen in a LONG TIME. Very Well filmed by an installer whos not afraid to post a video!

Ren12

Jun 13, 2012
SE Pennsylvania
I really like how this truck is set up. If I could pick something I like most about the install, it would be without question the decision to use large lightheads on the grill and sides with such a large footprint. That is a textbook example of providing front & side warning in a simple, effective manner. I just wish more decision makers would get a clue and realize little TIR3's & LIN's in these spots just don't cut it with this size vehicle.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I still love this bad boy and can't think of anything I don't like...the equipment, flash patterns, color selection, and mounting locations are all exceptional. I'm looking forward to more of your work in the near future.

I'm also not very familiar with the rontan lightbars (other than seeing the winglux a few times from a distance)...are those split color lightheads (R/C in front and R/A to the rear)? With the rear amber and red alternating, it looks like the footprint shifts over to the side slightly + I haven't heard of them following the duo & tri color trends of the other co.s

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
pdk9 said:
I still love this bad boy and can't think of anything I don't like...the equipment, flash patterns, color selection, and mounting locations are all exceptional. I'm looking forward to more of your work in the near future.

I'm also not very familiar with the rontan lightbars (other than seeing the winglux a few times from a distance)...are those split color lightheads (R/C in front and R/A to the rear)? With the rear amber and red alternating, it looks like the footprint shifts over to the side slightly + I haven't heard of them following the duo & tri color trends of the other co.s

It does. It is an option when you get the "Super Takedown" version. The front turns full clear and you can flash clear, and the back turns all amber during arrowstick functions, and flashes red/amber. We did have to custom design the flash patterns to do this, but it was worth it in my opinion.

We have alot of projects going through right now, but this was our favorite so far this year. Next one we post may be the Brush truck coming up, or possibly one of the undercover cars, but they are pretty basic, especially compared to this truck.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Patrick, I am absolutely blown away with the quality of your install. You brought a smile to this old mans face. I would seriously consider using you for work on my 08 2500HD (if I end up keeping her) or the 2013 Impala LT that I may end up getting if I have to sell the truck. I just don't have the right tools and time and all that jazz anymore to try to do the work myself. It just sucks that I am down in the Littleton/HR area and your way up there in Loveland. Once again, my congrats on one of the most awesome install jobs I've ever seen.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
This is one of the most beautiful things [emergency vehicles] I've ever seen. And the amount of planning and design is giving me an engineer boner!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.