2013 Ford F-550 Brush Truck

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
This is a truck that we just delivered to The Loveland Fire Rescue Authority.

We installed the lighting, wired the skid unit, installed the radios, and added a door ajar system.

Couple things to note: The rear lighting, All though not our first choice to use the small lights that we did, we were very limited on what options we could install. The department is adding a few steps to each side of the box, as well as handles and a hook on either side to hold hose when they are bouncing from one house to the next during structure protection. We also really wanted dual color lights, so the top flashes red/amber, and the bottoms flash just red, but then turn white when they turn on their work lights or backup.

The video does not show this, but when they respond, the side scene lights and the front off road lights flash in sync with the red lights. It is pretty wicked when it is coming down the street.

This is our first install with Federal Signal and I must say I was more than impressed. The lights are bright, and built very well. Their hook kit for the light bar fit perfectly the first time, and I love the siren tones, especially the Horn. It is nice and low. The Speakers are also extremely well built and loud and the brackets that hold them are even built out of thick materials. The quadraflares I had heard were not bright, but honestly, I think they are awesome. The off axis is better than the standard 700 series from any other company and the further back you get the brighter they are.

Equipment:

Recreational Electrical "Trickfit" harness system. This is an in-house built harness system custom to the vehicle. It has all printed wire for the function, and all internal harness connections are ultrasonically welded, all external harness connections are done with locking deutch connections. When the vehicle leaves, it gets an "As wired" wire schematic for their fleet maintenance shop.

Lighting:

Federal signal Quadraflares 7x3

Federal Signal Impaxx 620

Federal Signal Legend Light bar with hot foot

Federal Signal Smart Siren Platinum

Federal Signal ES100 speakers (x2)

Rigid Industries Dually D2s - 1 pair of driving for the front, 2 pairs of flood for the sides and rear

Feniex Titan Work lights - For pump panel

Opticom Emitter interior mount.

Custom door ajar system

Kussmaul Autoeject

Bendix King Radio

Motorola Radio - dual band

Ram mounts console system

On-Scene solutions compartment lighting.

Can control rear and side work lights from front and rear of truck

Senses park position and shuts down lower clear warning and opticom.

If a door is open, a red light in the cab flashes, If you pull into drive, an alarm goes off.

Pump is a purchased skid unit with a 300 gallon water, and 10 gallon foam tank. We wired it to the trucks batteries, and added switching for the work lights. We also changed the ignition to be push button instead of Keyed...

Body is a "Reading" All aluminum body.

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_20130806_153125_zps03302b76.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_20130805_055245_zpsb0db1bf5.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_20130724_182150_zps475f838e.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_20130806_122047_zpsea287b0f.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_20130802_170049_zps455da78b.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_100_5318_zpsfedfdc45.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_100_5311_zpsa310de10.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_100_5316_zps8589e59a.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_100_5313_zps1d1cc0d6.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_100_5298_zps3defe226.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_100_5305_zpsc50df9a8.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_100_5284_zpse6dc7a45.jpg

ai1096.photobucket.com_albums_g333_wiredhdh_100_5283_zps9c35b320.jpg

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
any photos of the wiring? I'm curious as to how others are setting up their smartsiren output wires

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I love it! It's a shame u couldn't go with quadraflares to the rear too, but I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the completed rear. I'm also not a huge fan of that flickering pattern on the impaxx...something like a wigwag x-pattern is what I would've gone with

Sides and front look fantastic, and the only addition I would have liked to have seen was a HLF. PS thank you for not having a fully-populated rear of the legend; way too often, esp on brush trucks & large utilities, the rear of the bar is blocked/obstructed significantly, so I find that to just be a waste

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
pdk9 said:
thank you for not having a fully-populated rear of the legend; way too often, esp on brush trucks & large utilities, the rear of the bar is blocked/obstructed significantly, so I find that to just be a waste

Oh, but lights on the rear of the bar are so pleasant when you have a FF riding back there. You radio back, "Do you see that hot spot up there?" And he replies, "No, all I see are flashing lights."

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
pdk9 said:
I love it! It's a shame u couldn't go with quadraflares to the rear too, but I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the completed rear. I'm also not a huge fan of that flickering pattern on the impaxx...something like a wigwag x-pattern is what I would've gone with

Sides and front look fantastic, and the only addition I would have liked to have seen was a HLF. PS thank you for not having a fully-populated rear of the legend; way too often, esp on brush trucks & large utilities, the rear of the bar is blocked/obstructed significantly, so I find that to just be a waste

Thanks.

We didn't do a headlight flasher because when the truck is out of park, the rigid off road lights flash, and they take over everything. The headlight flasher would actually be useless.. Really, those rigid pretty much are the only thing you see when they are on...

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
foxtrot5 said:
any photos of the wiring? I'm curious as to how others are setting up their smartsiren output wires

No, not much to see. All the output wires go into either the main connector that comes out of the cab or to a relay bank direct. We then make connections inside the harness that sends the power to the different lights. So no term strips or anything...

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i think this install looks great! love the de-popped legend. the rigids are a very adequate replacement for a HLF. i actually like the rear pattern...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.