2013 Ford PI Utility Tri Cities Airport

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
This is one Ford Utility we just got done with for the Tri Cities Airport in East Tennessee. This Utility is unique in that it is the first "ready for the road" package we have done. It came from the factory equipped with:

Whelen Ions in rear glass

Whelen Ions in grill

Whelen Vertex in head lights and tail lights

Whelen turn signal bulb replacement

Whelen Cencom

We added:

Federal Valor Bar

Jotto Console

Jotto upright gun rack

Setina push bumper with Whelen Ions built in

Pros about ready for the road package:

-Everything is already installed and wires already run

-Cencom is already interfaced into the vehicle

-The Whelen replacement turn signal bulbs in the front are bad ass. I included a separate video of them below.

Cons about ready for the road package:

- Cencom was already interfaced into the vehicle, but they neglected to put the extra harnesses, pins, connectors, etc in the vehicle. It made it difficult to interface the equipment we were adding into the Cencom

- Cencom was interfaced into the vehicle but they failed to do the simple things like interface the horn ring and back light for the controls.

DSCN1180.jpg

DSCN1181.jpg

DSCN1182.jpg

DSCN1183.jpg

DSCN1184.jpg

DSCN1185.jpg

DSCN1186.jpg

DSCN1187.jpg

DSCN1188.jpg

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
This is a video of the turn signals that flash white when in emergency mode, but override back to amber when the turn signal is used.

dwk270

Aug 29, 2012
Oregon
MPD 818 said:
This is a video of the turn signals that flash white when in emergency mode, but override back to amber when the turn signal is used.

That is a pretty awesome feature. I'm glad that someone understands to still use their turn signal when running code.

I really like the Ford Utility. Nice setup.

maddog65

Jul 30, 2010
Georgia
If a customer has ordered the FORD Cencom Sapphire (which is different than the Whelen Sapphire)…..

This wiring kit, 01-0418452-00, is to be used to add any low current bar, non-whelen bar, or basically any other grille/deck lights

You can order it from West Chatham if you need one.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
maddog65 said:
If a customer has ordered the FORD Cencom Sapphire (which is different than the Whelen Sapphire)…..
This wiring kit, 01-0418452-00, is to be used to add any low current bar, non-whelen bar, or basically any other grille/deck lights

You can order it from West Chatham if you need one.

I think this is the Ford Cencom because it has "FoMoCo" stickered on it. I suspect someone somewhere down the line either intentionally or accidentally left out all the other connectors.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
zsiya said:
Does the USB interface with the stereo or is it just a charger?

You know that is a good question. I have never fooled with it. I assume it is for the stereo, not sure how it would do as a charger?

N55

Jun 12, 2010
Boston, MA
dwk270 said:
That is a pretty awesome feature. I'm glad that someone understands to still use their turn signal when running code.

I really like the Ford Utility. Nice setup.

Anyone know if this turn signal bulb system works with or is sold separately for the civilian Explorer?

DaCityPolice

May 23, 2010
Washington, DC
zsiya said:
Does the USB interface with the stereo or is it just a charger?

It works with the stereo and (very weakly) charges.

We've got a bunch of new PI sedans and SUVs with the turn signal flasher system. Any way to sync those lights with the front corner flashers? Or change the pattern?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
looks great. I really like the housing for the rear window ions. solid install that just needs some sick graphics to be posted soon!

MeefZah

Oct 6, 2011
New Philadelphia, OH
Nice.

Our dept should be seeing two of those soon, I'm excited.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
officerdave said:
MPD were you guys able to get the hands free to work? Our install shop could not get it to work with the Ford version of the Cencom.

No the wires were left out of the harness for the horn ring and there were no extras left in the car anywhere. We talked it over and kind of came to the conclusion that we were not going to fool with it, and that the customer should they desire, take it up with the dealership they bought it from. I for one was surprised at how almost none of the options were hooked up. The freakin back light for the control was not even hooked up, just seems like a cheesy way to do it.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Looks like a really nicely done truck. Like the placement of all the lights and the flash patterns. One big question, I'm assuming/hoping they don't transport prisoners in this as there's no cage separating front and back, and the gun lock is right there.

officerdave

May 28, 2011
usa illinois
Thanks for the reply MPD. We found the same from our installer. We have decided to go without hands free for now and deal with the issue on our next squad. The FoMoCo version of the Cencom has been a learning experience also. Ford told me they are getting lots of feedback from customers on issues with the Ready for the Road....

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
We've had a few customers get this RFTR package. My understanding is that none of these customers had backlighting on the Cencom when the car arrived. It sounds like this special Ford/Whelen version doesn't have b/lighting from the factory. I'm not sure if there is a way to hook up the b/lighting?

Also, same here with the lack of extra pins, etc. That's common on all RFTR packages. There is a set of pins, etc. that a local Whelen dealer sells to customers for $40. I assume it's a Whelen part but I'm not sure.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
leftcoastmark said:
We've had a few customers get this RFTR package. My understanding is that none of these customers had backlighting on the Cencom when the car arrived. It sounds like this special Ford/Whelen version doesn't have b/lighting from the factory. I'm not sure if there is a way to hook up the b/lighting?

Also, same here with the lack of extra pins, etc. That's common on all RFTR packages. There is a set of pins, etc. that a local Whelen dealer sells to customers for $40. I assume it's a Whelen part but I'm not sure.

We ended up ordering the extra pins and what not. I am still puzzled as to why they would be installing the most stripped down version of a Cencomm. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Ready for the Road in the bare bones sense.

officerdave

May 28, 2011
usa illinois
MPD 818 said:
We ended up ordering the extra pins and what not. I am still puzzled as to why they would be installing the most stripped down version of a Cencomm. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Ready for the Road in the bare bones sense.

What we found. We have the WeCan lightbar and the software in the FoMoCo is older. When I spoke with Whelen and told them we had a FoMoCo CenCom, they wanted nothing to do with us..."You will have to talk to FORD, as the RFTR CenCom is a FORD product" Thats great, but it would have been nice for FORD to mention that in all their hype over the RFTR package.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
dwk270 said:

What for? The turn signal is least noticed light when running hot, at least on our rigs, not to mention people are usually stopped thus a turn signal serves no purpose. To each their own I guess.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Klein said:
What for? The turn signal is least noticed light when running hot, at least on our rigs, not to mention people are usually stopped thus a turn signal serves no purpose. To each their own I guess.

If nothing else, it's a CYA type thing. I always use it.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Klein said:

No, not to each his own. Turn signals are not optional just because you are running hot. Criminal and traffic laws may vary, but in civil court you will be in a tight spot explaining lack of turn signal use regardless of you emergency lights. I have never seen a dept that doesn't mandate headlight, turn signal and all other standard vehicle light usage while running hot. People still need to know your turning intentions regardless of your emergency lights. Whether you think the public notices them or not doesn't absolve you of the legal and industry standard of signaling your turns in emergency vehicles.

Except from two major transportation departments' code 3 policies

Approaching intersections: Use extreme caution, stay on the left if all possible, change siren tone upon approach, use turn signal and stop prior to entering the intersection, look in all directions, make sure all traffic sees you and knows your intentions prior to continuing further. Go through intersection slowly tapping on air horn in conjunction with siren.

Always use proper turn signals for all lane changes and turns necessary in your response.

You should be communicating with drivers and asking for the right of way. I know that doesn't always happen, but the attempt needs to be there. I prefer to signal, stop and make eye contact if I can.

Signal your turns when running hot.... to protect you and the public legally and physically.

Chris1254

Jun 3, 2013
Washington
officerdave said:
What we found. We have the WeCan lightbar and the software in the FoMoCo is older. When I spoke with Whelen and told them we had a FoMoCo CenCom, they wanted nothing to do with us..."You will have to talk to FORD, as the RFTR CenCom is a FORD product" Thats great, but it would have been nice for FORD to mention that in all their hype over the RFTR package.

Do you have access to the CenCom Sapphire software that will communicate with the FoMoCo version of the CenCom? I can't get one anywhere and can't reprogram my lightbar/LEDs.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Klein said:

As a crash investigator, who uses Texas Transportation Code, I can tell you for a fact, that an emergency vehicle operator running lights and siren are required to use turn signals, headlights, and operate the vehicle with due regard to the law and public safety. There are exceptions, and in the event of a crash, are looked at case by case, LE in pursuit is the most common. A Fire or Rescue apparatus really has no excuse, and a halfway competent PI lawyer will collect if at your thinthere are proven equipment or code violations. It is even more important to use your turn signals while running code, as more and more motorists are not paying attention, and if you have to turn or change lanes, ad there is an impact, if the EV operator is in compliance with all laws, the motorist gets unit 1 and failure to yield. If the EV operator has not used his signal, and is turning left across lanes, and an impact happens, the motorist will usually still get tagged unit 1, FYROW, but the EV operator will get contributing factors, to wit failure to use turn signal, and put his agency on the hook for a percentage of liability. And give a PI lawyer an inch....

I also know what your thinking....how can it be proven that the turn signal was not on? These days, EV's have the ability to record every function, even if you do not know it. And with ever other foot of real estate having video cameras, odds are good someone will see.

In 2009, DFD Truck 11 was running code on Lemmon Avenue in the afternoon. As they approached an intersection, the driver went to the left turn lane, with minimal braking, and entered the intersection as his light went green. The truck t-boned a Bentley. The driver of the Bentley just happens to be one of the big Dallas Ambulance chasers. No witness had the same story as to who's light was red or green, and only one came close to backing the Truck's drivers account. The Bentley was trying to beat the yellow, as the Truck was approaching. Video from a bank and a grocery store eventually showed that the Bentley was indeed trying to get through the yellow, had crossed the stop line as the light was yellow, giving lawful control of the intersection. The light went red just after the Bentley crossed the stop line, though still legally in the intersection. The Bentley driver said he did not hear the siren, which was tested using another Bentley, and found to be accurate, from a distance of 30 feet with other vehicles in front of a truck, the Bentley is built so soundly that the investigators could not hear the siren. That did not exclude the driver from failure to notice the EV's lights, as Texas code states a driver proceeding though a yellow traffic light should observe all directions of travel, and prceed with caution, and be prepared to stop. The end result was Truck 11 was sent back to be re built, the lawyer had to be cut out of his 2008 Bentley with a broken pelvis and ribs, and eventually got the City of Dallas for the max $250,000 even though the crash was ruled mutual fault, the violation of DFD procedure was the nail. The driver of Truck 11 was taken off driving status for a year for having a preventable crash.

'Strong Arm' lawyer Brian Loncar flexing his muscle again, this time in his own injury case against city of Dallas | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

The point, even when driving an EV with light and siren, follow the law, use turn signals, and common sense.

Every emergency vehicle, like any vehicle used on public rodes, has to have a safety inspection done every year. For a reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
arsenal10 said:
I've just searched youtube and can't seem to find an EV responding and using its turn signals, from the USA. Plenty from Europe.

Then there's obviously never been a camera on my vehicle while responding...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.