2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility Speaker Location

em2436

Nov 26, 2014
NY
Hey all, I have been having some difficulties with trying to find a good location to mount 2 feniex Triton speakers within the Interceptor Utility, the wheel well area is already taken up by a rumbler system so I have no options to mount it there and the extra radiator that is located behind the grill blocks the ability to mount the speakers onto the frame hanging down.

Anybody know of any other locations that can allow for the bigger size of the Triton to be mounted?

Thank you.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Whelen makes brackets for mounting in front. They mount to the front impact bumpers behind the facia. You still will need to trim the lower facia and possibly some of the speaker to get it to fit, as the Triton is a bit bigger than whelen speaker. The part numbers are SAK51 and SAK52. They're approx $28 a piece. I used one on a 2016 Interceptor that I upfitted earlier this year and will be using them again for a 2013 Interceptor in a few weeks. Worked really well.

em2436

Nov 26, 2014
NY
Whelen makes brackets for mounting in front. They mount to the front impact bumpers behind the facia. You still will need to trim the lower facia and possibly some of the speaker to get it to fit, as the Triton is a bit bigger than whelen speaker. The part numbers are SAK51 and SAK52. They're approx $28 a piece. I used one on a 2016 Interceptor that I upfitted earlier this year and will be using them again for a 2013 Interceptor in a few weeks. Worked really well.
Thank you for that info. I was essentially thinking about making something similar out of some sheet metal. I was going to cut sheet metal to size and wrap it over and behind the impact bumper and have the sheet extend far enough down until the speaker clears the bumper and anything that may be in front of it.

I'm pretty shocked that a police vehicle has such limited mounting options. The standard explorer has better access since there isnt a second radiator in the way.

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
Nope this interceptor doesn't have any rear a/c just the cutout for the vents that don't have any connection

Hmm. I'm trying to think why there would be the extra radiator there then. I've never worked on a stock Explorer. I thought it might have been the condenser from the rear A/C. Could it be the PTU cooler maybe?

I have a 2014 PIU (with no rear A/C) that I may be putting a 100W siren on in the near future so I'm a little alarmed that there's no room for speakers in the front end. I'll probably go with the wheel well bracket as I'm not going to have a Howler/Rumbler.

em2436

Nov 26, 2014
NY
I believe that auxiliary radiator comes with the EcoBoost engine
If I'm not mistaken they all come with the extra radiator, its a stock feature on the interceptors.

ai.ytimg.com_vi_D6bTE3Wb_34_maxresdefault.jpg

This is a low res image of what everything looks like, this happens to have a setina push bar bracket installed.

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
I believe that auxiliary radiator comes with the EcoBoost engine

The EcoBoost engine wasn't offered on the utility until 2014.

If I'm not mistaken they all come with the extra radiator, its a stock feature on the interceptors.

This is a low res image of what everything looks like, this happens to have a setina push bar bracket installed.

How did you get the bumper cover off? I've tried to find a guide online but no luck so far.

em2436

Nov 26, 2014
NY
Are you referring to the grill and bumper? Its very straight forward there are a few videos on it regarding the explorers and its the same process for the interceptor.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I've seen a 2017 PIU, header panel removed, without the auxiliary radiator.
In fact the other variation I've seen in the same upfitting shop was the retail Explorer, header panel removed, don't know if it was EcoBoost or not, with grill shutters.

em2436

Nov 26, 2014
NY
Okay so this is the update and essentially what I ended up going with. I purchased so 22g sheet metal and drilled out the four mounting holes for the speakers. I then bended the metal to clear the radiator and then wrapped it around the bumper for support. I wanted to make sure that the weight was relying on the bumper and not on any radiator support or the radiator itself. Might have gone a little overboard with the screws but I wanted to make sure that if its worth doing then its worth overdoing. I cleaned up the jagged edges from the cutting of the sheet and also painted the metal to prevent any rust.

front 2.jpg front.jpg

Those images were work in progress. I forgot to take the end result picture but I think this gives the idea of what I did.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.