2013 International/B.R.A.T. for Wassaic Fire District

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
Welcome to the home page of the Wassaic Fire Company Inc., serving since 1931. We are located in the Wassaic Fire District within the Town of Amenia, in the Harlem Valley Region of New York State. We are proud to be 100% volunteer and operate out of one station with Engine 69-12, Tanker 69-31, Rescue 69-51, Utility 69-62 and New York State Certified Ambulance 69-71 under the direction of Fire Chief Scott Boardman.
From Department's Website: Home - The Blue Crew

Production photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.477427592298904.100037.102446966463637&type=3

Last edited by a moderator:

gaden461

Feb 5, 2012
Danby New York
Sharp looking truck surprise at the slicktop did not know you could do that for a fire engine otherwise very nice looking truck what part of NY is Wassaic

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Only things I don't like are the split patterns & havin an electronic Q...there is a TRT squad in my area that responds with the eq2b on wail & the mechanical Q; it sounds stupid, and I think they either need a whelen wail/yelp or FedSig wail/yelp running with the mechanical Q (I like powercall, but the only reason I wouldn't use one here is b/c they're not commonly-used there)

gaden461 said:
Sharp looking truck surprise at the slicktop did not know you could do that for a fire engine otherwise very nice looking truck what part of NY is Wassaic

There are a handful of "slicktop" fire trucks out there. If you look at the Gowans Knight website, they've made a few of those, but with an exterior whelen ambulance-mount lightbar on the front headliner.

Wassaic is in Dutchess County, by Pougkeepsie (1.5 hours north of NYC). They have nice rigs, and their 3000 gallon tandem axle tanker "big blue" is probably their most bad a$$ member of the fleet

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
pdk9 said:
Only things I don't like are the split patterns & havin an electronic Q...there is a TRT squad in my area that responds with the eq2b on wail & the mechanical Q; it sounds stupid, and I think they either need a whelen wail/yelp or FedSig wail/yelp running with the mechanical Q (I like powercall, but the only reason I wouldn't use one here is b/c they're not commonly-used there)

Low-pitched electronic siren yelp with mechanical Q wail.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
wdfd24 said:
That is different for sure,but it looks good. Just curious why no lightbar on the roof.

There is no lightbar due to that big thing with the clearance lights on it. We have the same chassis in our dept. with a full Freedom and you can't see the bar until your at least 35 feet in front of the truck. Its disappointing. I kind of like the interior bar in there, different, but looks good.

I really hate all the split heads and the one on the side with the diagonal flash. It seems weird. At night time this thing has to be a bear to see.

And lastly I got super excited because I saw that it was a B.R.A.T., not the same one I was picturing though. Below is the Firematic BRAT that they have at the New England Fire Show every year. It's an awesome truck with huge off-road tire, 4X4, and a real badass look to it.

Brat Fire Truck.jpg

Acarlisle

Jun 20, 2010
ENFIELD,NY
EHFD_Tower_751 said:
Gonna guess height issues??

A local VFD has a new kenworth tanker with a custom lightbar, due to height issues (its a nice lookin tanker too)

- Apparatus (4th truck down)

I was thinking height issue my self, but figured i would ask. That is one nice tanker.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
EHFD_Tower_751 said:
Gonna guess height issues??

That has always been the reason in the slicktops I've seen; I personally don't think anyone would choose to go slicktop on an engine otherwise.

Unfortunately, I know of a handful of VFD/VFCs that have spec-ed their rigs to meet station requirements (height, length, etc). I have never been on the planning committee for a new station, but I like to think that depts nowadays (with some of the overboard penny savers retiring from the fire service) will intentionally add a few extra feet in length & height to their future stations so that there is not only room to move about in the bay, but so rig specs won't be restricted based on the size of their bay (and for the obvious reason that adding a few ft during the initial build is a hell of a lot cheaper than after the fact)

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I was getting excited to see a video of this after seeing the build pics from Seth, but the split-fail is a let down... Overall great looking truck, other then that.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
gaden461 said:
what part of NY is Wassaic

District borders Connecticut in the area of Kent and Sharon CT (SE NY, and NW CT).

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
NFD-102 said:
And lastly I got super excited because I saw that it was a B.R.A.T., not the same one I was picturing though. Below is the Firematic BRAT that they have at the New England Fire Show every year. It's an awesome truck with huge off-road tire, 4X4, and a real badass look to it.

This Engine is Wassaic FD's 2nd B.R.A.T.

69-62 - The Blue Crew

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Skip Goulet said:
Super nice rig, and love the graphics on the side. What does B.R.A.T. mean?

Brush rapid attack truck

(The bulk of their builds are rugged brush trucks & light rescues/utilities on super duty chassis)

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
pdk9 said:
That has always been the reason in the slicktops I've seen; I personally don't think anyone would choose to go slicktop on an engine otherwise.

Unfortunately, I know of a handful of VFD/VFCs that have spec-ed their rigs to meet station requirements (height, length, etc). I have never been on the planning committee for a new station, but I like to think that depts nowadays (with some of the overboard penny savers retiring from the fire service) will intentionally add a few extra feet in length & height to their future stations so that there is not only room to move about in the bay, but so rig specs won't be restricted based on the size of their bay (and for the obvious reason that adding a few ft during the initial build is a hell of a lot cheaper than after the fact)

In 1973 a small funeral home in the little town of Levelland, TX bought a new 1973 high top Suburban ambulance that had a 54" headroom. The ambulance had a pair of CP25 speakers and a Q mounted above the lighted ambulance sign over the cab, and a Unity Spitfire beacon up on the high top. And the truck had front and rear tunnel lights. Well, as it turned out, the hospital in Levelland had a low overhang in the ER drive. First run they made in that ambulance, when they came into the ER, they never paid attention to that overhang, and it knocked the beacon and Q off the truck and badly dented one of the speakers. From that point on until the funeral home exited the ambulance business sometime in the '80s, the truck remained like that. On top of that, the bulb on the front right tunnel light went out and was never replaced, so the only thing you saw from the front for many years was the red tunnel light on the left.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.